Whoops, apocalypse!

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Whoops, apocalypse!

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:57 pm

As to your point about journalists, there are probably more historians who make the Hitler comparison; but, they're really comparing fascist actions, as opposed to fascist intent. I tend to think that he's clueless about fascism, i.e., historical fascism. Hey, at the Holocaust memorial, he didn't mention Jews.

I would not stake too much on an argument that some people who like Hitler like Trump. Even though true, it signifies little.

Whoa. I said that people who do like Hitler didn't like Obama. That has to do with the nature of Hitler's ideology. Though, he was far more subtle. His goals were to eliminate a particular religious group forever. Anyway, to those who have been the victims of nazism, it means a lot.

his SC appointee (who ran the fascist (literally) club in high school.

No argument is appropriately supported upon a falsehood. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... scist+club

Yes, mea culpa about Gorsuch. Cited from your source:

“There was no club at a Jesuit school about young fascists,” Steve Ochs, a history teacher at Georgetown Prep, told America Magazine. “The students would create fictitious clubs; they would have fictitious activities. They were all inside jokes on their senior pages.”

Ok, fair enough; it was a joke. I can buy that. I think it's a bit unfortunate as a joke, but I have to believe that there would never be such a club at a Jesuit school.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:"In fact." Hmm, seems like you like to play fast and loose with the facts.

If you had said Stalin or Mao, maybe you would have a leg to stand on. But, you didn't. By your logic, Hegel and even Adam Smith were responsible for totalitarian atrocities carried out in the Soviet Union and China.

Marx is the father of sociology and continues to be influential to this day especially in terms of his method of inquiry and recognition of the inherent dangers of laissez-faire economic management.

http://scarc.library.oregonstate.edu/co ... page4.html

I view Hegel as the archfiend in the matter, for debasing the currency of ideas. That, though, is a discussion for another time and place. A short version of my view is that ideas have consequences and that those consequences can be charged to the ideas' owners.
Last edited by klonk on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Okay, I can at least understand that viewpoint. Cheers.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm

A better class of person to follow.

Ian

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:05 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 48151.html

However, a Cato Institute study, “Terrorism and Immigration: A Risk Analysis”, found little evidence to suggest this would be an effective policy.

The report said the chance of being killed by a terrorist attack perpetrated by an illegal immigrant was one in 10.9 billion per year.

The chance of being murdered by a tourist on the common B visa was 1 in 3.9 million per year, it added.

Do Trump supporters have a more compelling statistic (i.e. not anecdote) on the risks of immigration?
Last edited by Ian on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ian

Previous

Return to Off the Topic