Simple and sinister

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Simple and sinister

Postby Peacedog on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:38 pm

So what were the results after the year and a half of practicing the routine?
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Fantastic, man. Inspiring to know you guys can handle all that.

I think TGU is mostly out for me for now. I realized it's not the weight to hold on my right side. I have to post up with my bad left shoulder. In fact, maybe I can do a little weight on my left side and post with my right. That might be better for getting my left shoulder ready to handle the posting.

Any random tips for "prehab" to get my shoulders ready for TGU?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 pm

everything wrote:Fantastic, man. Inspiring to know you guys can handle all that.

I think TGU is mostly out for me for now. I realized it's not the weight to hold on my right side. I have to post up with my bad left shoulder. In fact, maybe I can do a little weight on my left side and post with my right. That might be better for getting my left shoulder ready to handle the posting.

Any random tips for "prehab" to get my shoulders ready for TGU?

arm bar
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k7qyA5bMYRA
Last edited by Taste of Death on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks man will give it a try.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:44 pm

So doing that for a year and half was interesting to say the least, the first thing I noticed was that the TGU gave me nice control over my body when wrestling and grappling. I found it easy to keep my body connected with structure and allowed a nice body awareness. In S&S, Pavel mentions doing the TGU like Taiji nice and slow. The swings seemed to improve whole body explosiveness for me without the high impact that I have gotten when doing plyometrics and the olympic lifts. I will say that I was far more explosive when I was Olympic lifting 3-4 days a week though. I lost some weight, which is always nice, but I think it really did little for my endurance and cardio, at least not that specific enough for fighting in the ring. Which is why I am trying out the endurance programming to some degree with some modifications.

The arm bar is perfect for shoulder health, if you go to the StrongFirst website they should have some articles on it.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby everything on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:25 am

Man that is good stuff. I can see how you would've gotten those benefits.

I'm about 3 weeks in now (pats self on back haha). Got a minor injury the past few days so skipped these days but my mind is still on S&S and I don't think I'll stop, so I'm still counting these days as days into my program.

Reading on strongfirst, it looks like you should train power, then strength, then cardio. But for a newb, I'm using light weight and so probably hitting all 3 somewhat. Looks very interesting to use a heart rate monitor for the swings for cardio. I ordered a motiv ring (like a fitbit but you wear it on your finger). Can't wait to get it and see if that works for this.
everything
Wuji

Postby Pavel Macek on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:18 am

Please check out my article on SAS here:

http://www.strongfirst.com/solid-simple-sinister/
Pavel Macek

Practical Hung Kyun | http://www.practicalhungkyun.com
SIMPLEXSTRONG | http://www.simplexstrong.com
Pavel Macek
Mingjing

Postby everything on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks for posting. Will keep reading your article and posts over there!
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic