Simple and sinister

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Simple and sinister

Postby everything on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Anyone been doing Pavel's program?

I restarted swings for the 100th time and decided
- to skip TGU for now
- not bother with a plan
- just logging what I did AFTER
- that might turn into a plan, not sure.

I find this logging works well with diet. Kind of observing my own behavior then figuring out what I want to adjust next.

So I guess I want to get to Simple but I have a nagging shoulder issue and will see how it goes for a while first.

Wondering if anyone else has been doing a similar "program"? I know I can post on a kb forum but eh I like RSF.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Simple and sinister

Postby Peacedog on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:21 pm

For the last few months I've been doing anywhere from 20-50 swings every morning with a 24kg kettlebell as a way of starting my day.

I can't really call this a "workout". It is really just a way of getting some resistance training in consistently.

Some resistance training is certainly better than none and for GPP I don't think you need a whole lot.

This seams to fit the bill. Minor aches and pains seem to have gone away. If I'm feeling motivated I finish up with a couple, 1 to 3, sets of pullups.

The whole thing may take 10 minutes.

Combining this with 10 grams of fish oil and skipping breakfast has resulted in my losing a full size off my waist measurement over the course of 2 months with no other dietary/exercise modification.

Not earth shaking but pretty effective for a minimal allocation of time.

Frankly, I treat it like brushing my teeth. I just get up and do it.

I'll be upgrading to an 80lb kettlebell shortly.

I had no idea that this was a "program."

I see myself doing this for a long time.
Last edited by Peacedog on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Perfect man. So glad another RSF member is ahead of me on this.

Brushing teeth is a great reference. That's what I did today. Just did it. I don't need earth shattering changes, although no aches and pains, and a full waist size down is more than enough for an infomercial, and for what I want to do.

Yeah if you add the Turkish get up, Pavel calls it a program. There are tons of sites, blogs, and videos of people doing it. 80lbs is a lot. Most people use it as GPP so they can leave something in the tank for what they want to do: sports, life, other weight programs, whatever.
Last edited by everything on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:38 pm

It started as between school, work and life I haven't been getting to the gym to pull, squat and press the 3x a week it deserves.

I tried working out at home and found I wasn't getting the consistency I needed to succeed.

So I thought, "what can I do in the 10-15 minutes it takes to have shower, I know I can come up with 10 minutes." The kettle bell was just sitting around my place oxidizing. The swings take about 2 minutes and based off of your advice I think I'll move it up to 100 swings. Then I realized I had time for a couple of sets of pull-ups as well.

The key is making it a habit through making it a daily routine/ritual. It also had to be easy enough that I wouldn't try to sneak out of it by the whole thing being too much effort. I'll think about adding the Turkish get ups.

Thanks man.
Last edited by Peacedog on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Sure man you stumbled into Simple and Sinister which seems to have arisen out of similar experiences plus by design for efficiency. I just happened to do the swings right after brushing my teeth so I hope I continue this way. Better to get a few minutes in so no matter what you've done some of your "practice" (not a workout) even if that's it for that day.

Adding pull ups seems better for some pulling (although you pull the kb down in a way). TGU covers other main parts. Very functional and minimalist program.

I'll try to check back. I want to see if I can just progress as a habit like you did. Good stuff.
everything
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:48 pm

I have done Pavel's Simple and Sinister (S&S), Rite of Passage (ROP) and Power to the People (PTP). Follow the program but until your shoulder feels better do get ups with a shoe balanced on your fist instead of holding a kettlebell. This is a program you can stay on for a long time. The simple goal is 32kg and the sinister is 48kg for 100 swings and 10 get ups.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:16 am

thanks man, yeah my left shoulder doesn't like weights. I think it's biceps tendonitis from a clavicle break that wasn't rehabbed (correctly/at all). swings with a lighter weight seem fine. doubt I'll get to Simple but you never know!
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Update for those that care.

I added in the Turkish get ups this morning with a 15lb dumbbell I had lying around.

Those are trickier than most people realize.

This should be fun.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Hey man, good job and keep going! Yeah TGU is a heck of an interesting exercise. Should appeal to all MA people of all style preferences. Let us know how this one goes for you.

I am only on day 5 so probably not enough for a habit yet. Swings only, no TGU. Brushing teeth is a really useful trigger/memory device to do some quick thing like this. If I make it to a month with some forgiveness here and there (e.g., 5 of 7 days in a week is ok), I'll be pleasantly surprised!
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Well my 36kg/80lb kettlebell showed up today. I don't think I'll ever use it for the TGU, but it should make the swings more entertaining.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Holy moly that thing is half my weight. Hard to imagine TGU with it. Heck, not sure I'll work up to that level of swings. Well, please post how it goes for you.
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm 225lbs so an 80lb kettle bell is roughly 1/3rd my body weight which I've been told by people into kettle bells is about what I should use for conditioning/volume/reps.

So a 54lb kettle bell is about the right size on your end. Really its just an issue of scale and my being a fat ass.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:45 pm

"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:35 pm

That's pretty impressive.

I do this on a hardwood floor in the morning when I am still waking up so I think I'll stick with my 54lb/24kg kettlebell for now.

Doing 5 reps on each side with that weight would be cool. Much respect to anyone who can do that though.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Fa Xing on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:46 pm

So I was doing the Simple program off and on for about a year and half. Now I am doing a few things:

I usually start off with some foam rolling
Stand in Santishi 5-10min total
Warmup with some IMA power/mobility drills that I got from Tim Cartmell
10 total TGUs
2x per week I do high volume swings based on the chart found here: http://www.strongfirst.com/where-do-you-go-after-simple/. Warning, it's pretty intense, make sure you use chalk or some sort hand protection (I actually just tore a callous on my left hand today).
The other 2 days, I'll do some lifting: Day 1 after TGU's I'll do two-handed swings for 5 min, doing 10 swings every 30 seconds, this is like doing a tabata, then I will do 5x5 Clean and Jerk, and finish off with pullups; Day 2 after TGU's I'll do 10x10 Snatches superset with 10x10 pushups, and finish off with pullups.
After which, if I have time I'll do forms, hit the heavy bag, etc.

On the three days of the week I don't lift, I'll do the other stuff or rest if I need a full day off.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Next

Return to Off the Topic