Sweden's Immigration Policy

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Sweden's Immigration Policy

Postby grzegorz on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:44 am

Unfortunately it has become political. The far right is using the situation in Sweden for their agenda. Do new immigrants face difficulties in a new society, particularly those coming from countries fleeing violence? Yes.

It is the same here. Central Americans, Cambodians, the Hmong people, the Cubans, all these people arrived and their new communities experienced a rise in crime. Eventually the criminals get arrested and the next generation starts to integrate while some of that next generation doesn't. It is a process.

I remember there were people strongly against allowing Cubans to come over and sure enough criminals were allowed in with politcal refugees. Yet generations later a lot of these Cubans are American as anyone else here and a lot of them are Republicans.

I will say this much, your choices for food in Sweden will get a lot more interesting. The best food in Germany is in the Turkish neighborhoods in my opinion.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 pm

grzegorz wrote:The far right is using the situation in Sweden for their agenda.“

"I will say this much, your choices for food in Sweden will get a lot more interesting. The best food in Germany is in the Turkish neighborhoods in my opinion

I don't know what far right group and what agenda you referring to, if it is the "Sweden Democrat" party you mean some of their "suggestions" that was totally repelled by all the other major parties 1-2 years ago is now taken to consideration whether it is due to the upcoming election or that they know that the Swedish economy for now can't manage more immigration, I don't know.........Well a good Kebab with garlic sauce and extra fefferoni is never wrong apart from that I don't know any other "Turkish" dish. Pizza came to Sweden in the 60's with the Italian labour immigrants and is now a Swedish staple dish which Kebab probably also are now, then there is Chinese,Thai, Japanese, Indian, Persian food too and all is very delicious..but multi culturalism is not just about food
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:06 am

It was a half a joke I guess it didn't translate well.

I Iive in California one of the most diverse places on the planet and our economy has been ranked 6 (give or take a spot) in the world. As much as I despise what my country has become I absolutely love California.

The far right I am referring to mostly is outside that of Sweden. Trump is still insisting Sweden has a large immigrant problem which he stated standing next to your prime minister this week.

For whatever the reason Americans have a fascination with Sweden that seems unique to Sweden so the right likes to paint a picture of Sweden being the new Syria due to asylum seekers to justify the Muslim ban and America's "war on terror."
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:23 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:47 am

grzegorz wrote: Trump is still insisting Sweden has a large immigrant problem which he stated standing next to your prime minister this week.

And the PM basically agree to that now, he who before said "his Sweden don't build walls" 8-)
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:12 am

Who says Americans don't have class?

Of course it is a problem for Trump because he has no compassion. In fact he sees compassion as weekness. He doesn't even care about US citizens in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

https://youtu.be/n-os1Te_cZQ[/quote]
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:28 am

The American fascination with Sweden has nothing to do with Sweden. Most couldn't name three cities in Sweden or locate it on a map.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:40 am

It happens all the time. The Chinese are fascinated by France and secondly the UK.

I don't read into it at all. I like former communist Europe which most Americans are completely clueless about except for Prague.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:21 am

grzegorz wrote:It happens all the time. The Chinese are fascinated by France and secondly the UK.

I don't read into it at all. I like former communist Europe which most Americans are completely clueless about except for Prague.

I did hear Melania T. referred to as 'Eastern European' in the memorable past...slavic ok but look at Slovenia on a map...
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 am

Before all of this nonsense, people believed we had polar bears in the streets. Apparently, we now we have terrorists in every street corner.

But I haven't seen any terrorists, so maybe the polar bears ate them? :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:38 pm

vadaga wrote:
grzegorz wrote:It happens all the time. The Chinese are fascinated by France and secondly the UK.

I did hear Melania T. referred to as 'Eastern European' in the memorable past...slavic ok but look at Slovenia on a map...

Yeah they get wierd about that over there. Either you are a Western European country, including Greece, or you are an Eastern European country and over there Russians are not European what so ever.

There is no central Europe to the American mind (except perhaps Switzerland) which is why I edited to former communist Europe but to me these are just labels and nothing more but important nonetheless.

Americans should be willing to learn more about Europe, especially if they are visiting. I remember a group of college kids in Budapest who ended up there after touring Italy only because the trains to Vienna were overbooked. So they took the train to Budapest went straight to the hostel and were going back to the train station first thing in the morning and pass up Buda and Pest all together!

I told them you fools! This city is one of the greatest cities in Europe.

I prefer the former communist countries because they kept a lot of traditions you don't find in western Europe. For me, western Europe reminds me more of the States although different I prefer countries that are completely different from the States which is why I would never move to Canada. -devil-
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:09 pm

FWIW Vienna is east of Prague and most of the landmass of the Czech republic, nearly all of Slovenia and the majority of Croatia as well...
Last edited by vadaga on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:27 pm

True that. It is a little like Americans somehow forgetting that not everyone immigrating from South of the border is Mexican.

According to Wikipedia.

Eastern Europe is the eastern part of the European continent. There is no consensus on the precise area it covers, partly because the term has a wide range of geopolitical, geographical, cultural, and socioeconomic connotations. 

Personally I have no problem calling it Eastern Europe because during communism that was the term widely used. Also I think Poles, Slovenians, Croats, Slovaks, Czechs, Hungarians, etc...prefer Central European as a way of distancing themselves from their Eastern neighbors. Just as Germans look down at the East, the countries East of them look down at the East and I refuse to take part in that because for me Western is not "greater" than Eastern and in fact (for me) there is not much special about the label of Central Europe either. To me, it is no different than the Raiders vs. the Niners or Canadians vs Americans and having lived over there I heard the central Europe lecture a thousand times usually by the same people who complain about immigrants destroying European culture. So my choice is explain what I mean when I mean it and leave it at that. The fact is someone who grew up in Ostrava has much more in common with someone who grew up in Kharkiv or Bucharest than someone who grew up in Florence or Copenhagen. Sure the passport one holds is often is a deep part of one's individual identity but that is not how I identify people.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:49 pm

vadaga wrote:

FWIW.

TODAY traces Melania Trump’s roots in Eastern Europe

https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/video/ ... 9361603631

TUE, MAR 08

And from the UK.

Italian show said men prefer Eastern European women such as Melania Trump because they're sexy and forgive cheating

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/does-melania- ... ur-1612611
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:09 pm

And a writer from Croatia. The title itself is why I believe some people dislike the label.

Melania Trump: is the First Lady a victim of anti-eastern European prejudice?

https://www.calvertjournal.com/opinion/ ... first-lady

Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Go west, life is peaceful there.
Go west, lots of open air.
Go west to begin life new.
Go west, this is what we'll do.
Go west, sun in winter time.
Go west, we will do just fine.
Go west where the skies are blue.
Go west, this and more we'll do .