emptiness

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

emptiness

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:15 am

Someone, had asked me about an old friend and my first CMA teacher.
As a young teenager he had a deep impact on my life that would continue throughout my
CMA path...

Thought some might find his writings interesting in trying to understand what someone had asked, I found his site.....
When we trained back in the day, Mike was very adamant about "realness and functionality" The style lama hope gar, was geared only for one thing and one thing only "fighting" I remember one day someone came into the gym asking if he would learn about mediation.
Mike, looked at him and smiled. He said " If you want to learn about mediation, go to a temple or church, here we only teach fighting"

As long as this voice goes un-heard, the un-seen hand of one’s defenses will continue to shape one’s decisions, appearing for all the world as “fate.”

One of the most powerful sections in Focusing Emptiness is the chapter about firebase Erskine. This is the story about a remote artillery support base during the Vietnam war. But it didn't take up much room in my book until late one evening, quite by accident, I stumbled across a website devoted to the survivors of those who died there.
Erskine2

It was especially the postings of the children of those who died that hit me the hardest. Those postings called to me to try harder, to write something better, to write something more. But Focusing Emptiness wasn’t a book about Vietnam. It was about trauma, and awareness, and how our defenses can fool us into making poor decisions. And then something occurred to me, something about a theory I knew of concerning the children of trauma; that they these children might be more vulnerable to traumatic situations later in life, that they might be more prone to bouts of PTSD.

But if anything, it seemed to me that my childhood had erected unseen walls that helped to block out the harsh realities of life. Indeed, I may have been less vulnerable. And I was never haunted by the ghosts of Erskine the way others were. But I did not escape entirely.

http://focusingemptiness.com/index.php/blog

It wasn’t until I began writing about Erskine that I became aware of just how far my defenses had gone to protect me. I faintly remember Top Johnston, for instance, the Sergeant with me there at first, calling me over to the artillery pit where the whole fiasco on that hill began.

Making my way through the blackened rubble the fires had left, I was soon standing at the pit’s edge, looking down through the smoldering streams of smoke rising up into the humid jungle air. But then…that’s all….that’s where my memory ends.

I have no recollection of what I saw. I know what was down there because I remember the Top describing it. It was the burned and fragmented bodies of those who were engulfed by the fire and explosions that had taken the entire hill before we arrived. But I don’t remember seeing any of it. It was simply gone.

Interesting enough the title of his blog, http://focusingemptiness.com/index.php/blog my own blog journeytoemptiness

A central theme in my own taiji work....
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Re: emptiness

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 am

Mike and Gary, from long ago..
Coming from a karate background, my first impression was “how could this possibly work?” It looks open, ineffective, and easily blocked. It wasn’t until I saw it in action, and later saw that it was the unusual footwork patterns of this “circular” style, that it made sense.

http://focusingemptiness.com/index.php/ ... WhiteCrane
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Tom wrote:Good stuff, well worth considering. Thanks for posting.

I've asked Mike to share some thoughts when he has time if anyone wants to connect with him pm me and I'll give you his contact info.

In Chinatown long ago his nickname was Batman kind of funny they thought he looked like the Batman that played on the TV series of the day.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Tom wrote:Good stuff, well worth considering. Thanks for posting.

+1

A highly interesting perspective. Thanks W.W. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:55 pm

Our defensive structures are often hidden from us. We only see the results of their action. We find ourselves in conflict with loved ones for reasons we don’t understand, we make decisions we look back on later and wonder what possessed us, we alter our experiences, sometimes allowing them to quietly slip into our unconscious.

http://focusingemptiness.com/index.php/blog

But once constructed, our defense mechanisms area never really gone. They are still there, underground, influencing our perceptions, molding our decisions, interacting with the world from beneath the surface of what we think we know.

Mike, as I remember him was a very good teacher and friend at the time.

Reading some of his writing it seems hes he found his path.
In expressing it, he may help others to understand theirs.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Mike with Ron Dong, another student of Gorge Long (RIP) .
At that time CMA had a bad rep in the ring. Lama hop gar stylist had a good one on the streets.
Long arm, was not allowed for use in the full contact venues of the day....
Mike being progressive and a innovator modified the style to use boxing hands coupled
with hop gar foot work.
One of his teachers David Chin....
would go on to develop this idea farther adapting the style to ring use.

http://tibetanhopgar.com/tibetan-hop-gar-kung-fu/
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic