an oz of prevention

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

an oz of prevention

Postby everything on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:09 pm

is worth a kg of cure. http://www.strongfirst.com/ounce-injury ... gram-cure/

nothing you don't already know from experience (unfortunately) but good article.

Add in knees that don’t fully flex or extend, or hips, or spine, or any joint for that matter, and you’ve got a recipe for trouble down the road. Especially when your training asks you to regularly deal with supra-maximal loads and forces, which is what occurs when we’re lifting the heavy things we love to lift.

The result of all this is something called “accumulated micro trauma” and, like gravity, you don’t have to believe in it for it to affect you. What’s accumulated microtrauma? It’s small micro-tears to muscles and connective tissues that build up over time. Think of it this way: you can’t snap a credit card, but if you bend it over and over, eventually it will come apart. That’s accumulated microtrauma.

I've had prevention on the mind a lot lately after a couple of injuries (that are healing fast, but in 20/20 hindsight, I should've been able to see some signs of "micro trauma" and weakness; pretty sure I was overdoing things for a bit). Compared to the general population I'm probably in good shape. Compared to serious MA and fitness hobbyists, I'm probably in really meh shape. It's getting harder to get fit now, but going S-L-O-W seems so incredibly key.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: an oz of prevention

Postby Dmitri on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Now, are 4 oz of prevention worth 10000 lbs of cure? :D

Good points, but the article seems very "strength-training" oriented...

To me the bottom-line magic formula has been, "move and stretch as frequently as you can (and be reasonably creative with it), and listen to your body".

(good diet is a huge factor as well IMO; cannot be overstated. I used to think "if I exercise enough, it doesn't matter what I eat" -- not following that anymore... body needs good nutrients, period.)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: an oz of prevention

Postby everything on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Dmitri wrote:Now, are 4 oz of prevention worth 10000 lbs of cure? :D

Good points, but the article seems very "strength-training" oriented...

To me the bottom-line magic formula has been, "move and stretch as frequently as you can (and be reasonably creative with it), and listen to your body".

(good diet is a huge factor as well IMO; cannot be overstated. I used to think "if I exercise enough, it doesn't matter what I eat" -- not following that anymore... body needs good nutrients, period.)

definitely a good magic formula. I was trying to add a little strength to the mix (strength/flexibility kind of together) but uh-oh.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic