chinese massage at the mall

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

chinese massage at the mall

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:20 pm

i've noticed at nearly every mall now in the DC area the chinese have a store to do accupressure massages. when your really sore it comes in handy to get one for cheap its like $20.00 for 20 minutes and they use good pressure whole body. its a nice edition to your training regime after a hard workout.
neijia_boxer

Re: chinese massage at the mall

Postby Jake on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:29 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:i've noticed at nearly every mall now in the DC area the chinese have a store to do accupressure massages. when your really sore it comes in handy to get one for cheap its like $20.00 for 20 minutes and they use good pressure whole body. its a nice edition to your training regime after a hard workout.

Do they do hot stone work???

signed,

meeks

;D
errrrr.............
Jake
Huajing

Postby Inner_man on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:49 pm

We have em here in Auckland NZ too. Nearly every mall..

I have regular sessions at my local and find them to be spot on and not too expensive.
"Deja Moo" - When you think youve heard this bullshit before..........
Inner_man
Mingjing

Postby edededed on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:28 pm

I am one of those people who cannot enjoy massages (they just hurt). Well, I guess the only time they are tolerable is if I have slept in a really weird way or something.

Any others here who hate massages? I can give 'em, but I can't take 'em...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Inner_man on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:58 pm

The harder the better for me. I cant stand light massage, just pisses me off
"Deja Moo" - When you think youve heard this bullshit before..........
Inner_man
Mingjing

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:27 am

Since learning qigong, I can't stand much pressure (xiao li! xiao li!) in a massage, but I also find the lightest touch can mean the greatest skill. There's a blind tui na guy here in Guangzhou who's great, but the rest of the an mo shops and foot massages are unbearable.
Michael

Postby meeks on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:54 am

jake - LMAO!

Mike - I'm the same way. some people have a light touch and 'sure hands', and the others are just frickin' painful to endure their inept attempts to simply 'press hard on a local area'

wonder if they'll use moxibustion, and place your limb over top of it so the heat rises into the meat instead of dissipating into the air...
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:47 am

Meeks:

What you experienced with the hot stones was not moxibustion! As a Doctor of Oriental Medicine (OMD), I hate to see the reputation of a legitimate and effective therapeutic technique such as moxibustion get a bad rap here. What was done to you with the hot stones was a dangerous method applied by an incompetent person.

In more than 30 years of professional clinic experience with Classical Chinese Medicine, I have never used the technique that was applied to your body, nor have I known of any other practitioner who uses that method.

Traditionally throughout the Orient, genuine moxibustion technique applies brief, moderate heat to specific acupuncture points via small compressed cones, beads or pellets of so-called 'moxa wool', which is dried and pulverized Mugwort Leaf (Artemisia Vulgaris).

In olden times, these applications were sometimes applied directly to the skin surface, and often left round burn scars like those seen on the shaven heads of pre-Communist Shaolin monks.

During the years that I lived and studied in Hong Kong, very elderly people from the countryside were sometimes seen who had received moxibustion treatment performed in this manner in their villages as a younger person. Here's an example of direct moxibustion:

Today, briefly repeated applications of moxa are either placed on top of a perforated slice of fresh Ginger Root, on a special holder, or on a small pile of salt for indirect heat without burns and scarring.

Image Image Image

Probably more commonly, however, heat is indirectly applied with a 'moxa roll', held an inch or two away from the skin surface for the same reason.

Less common in recent decades, due to the greater skill required, is to burn small beads of moxa attached to the handles of special acupuncture needles designed specifically for such treatment. Here again, the heat is indirect through the needle to the energy point, but considerable training and practice is necessary to acquire the expertise needed for the moxa beads to stay on the needle handle, without falling off onto the patient's skin.

As a result, very few acupuncturists use this method anymore. Instead, the ignited tip of a smokeless moxa 'cigar' is applied to the handle of the acupuncture needle for heat transfer to the energy point.

Doc
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Kevin_Wallbridge on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Good pics Doc. I've never heard discussion of the last technique with the smokeless moxa. I use the second last method, but I have had students reluctant to use that method because of doubts about their own ability. I may try the needle contact method and see if I could recommend to these kinds of students. Always another lesson to learn.
拳中龙象本能之学
Kevin_Wallbridge
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:28 pm

wow.

not one crack about a happy ending?

come on!

COME ON!!!!

(that's what she said! ;D )
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:16 pm

I used to do this a couple times a month before moving. The best place I went to was right next door to my favorite vegan Chinese restaurant. Great way to kill time while waiting for your take out to be ready.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby qiphlow on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:27 pm

moxa smells like weed.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:wow.

not one crack about a happy ending?

come on!

COME ON!!!!

(that's what she said! ;D )

that would be the "Shady korean massage parlor downtown" thread.
neijia_boxer

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:02 pm

qiphlow wrote:moxa smells like weed.

No way! ::) Old Wives Tale, generally perpetuated by suspicious mothers and grandmothers who have never actually smoked or smelled real pot. :P

Doc ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Jake on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Image

Upper right hand corner...

Steven Tyler or David Bowie.

Could be either one in drag.

;D
errrrr.............