stretch vs. (and) relax in standing

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

stretch vs. (and) relax in standing

Postby everything on Mon May 22, 2017 1:33 pm

If you are doing, say, zhan zhuang, or whatever physical activity for a long time and you build up some tight spots, it feels good to stretch. But what is happening as you acclimate and relax more? So your body learns to not tense as much? Experts probably need to use less of their conscious mind and motor coordination for some difficult moves (E.g. https://science.slashdot.org/story/14/0 ... n-activity), so their mind/body can stay more relaxed.

How is this relaxation process over time different than stretching? How is it similar or complementary? If I have tight hamstrings, should I be stretching and doing some kind of relaxation process in doing standing? Can I have more flexible hamstrings, or is it just that they won't get as tight once acclimated? So I should still stretch to get more flexible?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: stretch vs. (and) relax in standing

Postby yeniseri on Mon May 22, 2017 5:22 pm

everything wrote: How is this relaxation process over time different than stretching? How is it similar or complementary? If I have tight hamstrings, should I be stretching and doing some kind of relaxation process in doing standing? Can I have more flexible hamstrings, or is it just that they won't get as tight once acclimated? So I should still stretch to get more flexible?

Zhanzhuang is not about stretching in the Western frame of reference.
Stretching is about limiting/decreasing painful muscle, gaining range of motion, strengtheneing muscles observed to be weak through sensory motor amnesia (SMA) generally speaking and specifically injuries, by engaging in those exercise/stretches to better circular and increase strength.
STretching is of varying types:
dynamic
static
the usual PNF
ballistic etc and based on physical conditioning or lack thereof, a specif routine(s) are given the individual to better his muscles (based on type of sports participation, injury gotten or just basic maintenance. As you know, there is even a mat type roller that one places under stiff muscles and roll said mat over 'sore "area for relief of pain
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Re: stretch vs. (and) relax in standing

Postby everything on Mon May 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Ok but what is happening over time when I do some activity? Basically I need to recruit fewer fibers to do the same thing?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic