RIP Roger Moore

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

RIP Roger Moore

Postby warriorprincess on Tue May 23, 2017 12:43 pm

warriorprincess
Anjing

Re: RIP Roger Moore

Postby wiesiek on Wed May 24, 2017 3:08 am

unforgettablethe Saint

SIMON TEMPLER

RIP
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Wed May 24, 2017 4:18 am

I remember he learned his kung fu for Bond from Lakos Jakab who was based at the White Swan in Crystal Palace in the day.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 24, 2017 4:57 am

Perfect:

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed May 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Roger was a good man, a decent actor but to me lacked the physicality of Sean or Daniel. Fleming apparently approved of him. The Bond and Saint martial arts were stiff and without intent, I have a shot of him practicing with Jakab[who was a remarkable martial artist] and the awkwardness showed. Outside of these roles he played the very British military man convincingly. He appeared to be a humble person, not a hell raiser in the O Toole /Harris tradition postwar actors, and did some good works outside the movie business. Incidentally I recently saw some old 'Avengers' episodes and again, compared with what we have become used to, pall in comparison, but still fun. On the other hand 'the Prisoner' definitely stands up.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed May 24, 2017 6:37 pm

R.I.P.

He was definitely a class act. As an actor, he generally played the same character. But, he was humble about it, and often attributed his success to his looks. He played Bond completely tongue-in-cheek. I tend to associate him more with the Saint, though. It wasn't how he fought, it was what his character fought for that impressed me when I was a kid. I still watch to remember.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 pm

too soon? ;D

rou jia mo wrote:Chinese Hamburgers (肉夹馍)

The direct translation for Rou Jia Mo (肉夹馍) is “meat in a bun,” which sort of makes it similar to what we’d think of as a hamburger, or maybe a Chinese sloppy joe. So there’s the meat, and there’s the bun. Let’s talk about both.
jimmy
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Thu May 25, 2017 10:58 pm

It's never too soon for meat in a bun.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sat May 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Martial arts were only incidentally important in the plots. Most viewers would not know good MA if they saw it. So it does not matter that he was no good at that bit of the work. He had style.
Last edited by klonk on Sat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun May 28, 2017 7:31 pm

He really was the best Bond.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic