economy, stocks, etc.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

economy, stocks, etc.

Postby everything on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:22 pm

are you tracking a lot of the economic and stock news, would you say?

I'm mostly looking at the big "AI" players recently, since supposedly the next century will be all about AI and "robots".
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: economy, stocks, etc.

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:02 pm

Be careful what you ask for.

Bitcoin Exchange
https://www.gdax.com

Future BITCOIN value: $2M to $5 Million per bitcoin?
https://youtu.be/todsG0yjf7M

($10,000 per DAY in less than 40 days: Documentation beats Conversation)
https://youtu.be/vrBaeec2NnI

Step by Step How to Become a GC Bitcoin Millionaire
https://youtu.be/ys66YqLzES0
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:20 am

Ah yeah I don't really understand bitcoin. Also, I tried to understand blockchain (the underlying tech) a little bit, but that produces an even bigger headache. It's like people arguing about tai chee but 100x worse.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 am

are you tracking a lot of the economic and stock news, would you say?

No. Very little.

I don't like the mind-set of taking shortcuts, relying on luck or trying to use different economic systems for personal aadvantage. I haven't even played lottery or gambled in 20 years. If you try to earn money by working hard you know you are going to succeed some day. Better to work on building capital one step at a time in a hands-on, responsible way, instead of dreaming about luck suddenly strike you down as lightning, or that you are going to master economical systems that much better people than you work full-time with and still lose fortunes on.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:06 am

Yeah, cryptocurrency is on a huge blast atm.
Not just bitcoin btw.

An acquaintance of mine has been in bitcoin for years, he must be a very happy guy right now... now where did i put his number..

Energy too could be a big play in the coming years.

eg. batteries/ lithium - electric cars etc.
Solar - new tech making it affordable.
decline of oil
New synthetic products to replace oil etc.

Gold for insurance. 10% of your net worth.
But commodities maybe be cycling back round from their slump, silver for example might be worth a look.

Oh and how can we forget one of the biggest stories of recent times.. Marajuana baby !!!
Definitely worth a punt IMO.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 am

Other than the normal "bet money on a winning stock, you win" or bet money on a losing (decreasing) one, you lose" there are bets that win or lose when you bet for or against the market.
If someone say the market is going to "increase", i.e. return high ROI, etc and bets that it will and it loses, then you lose. Conversely those who bet against the market, will end up getting their ROI, based on input/leverage and other tools to return a "strong investment despite the losing market.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:07 am

Nine years ago, the "market economy" (aka Wall Street stocks etc.) were tanking big time. This equated to people losing money they had invested. The argument, even here on RSF, was that it was an economy based on false "fiat" currency that wasn't worth the paper on which it was printed, and that people needed to buy gold, which had a real value that was going up. And go up it did, but mostly because demand increased. That didn't last long. Many who bought gold then actually lost value. Of course, if there's a zombie apocalypse or another crash (hard to say which is more likely), the value of gold will go up again. All it will take is your ability to get it out of wherever you've stashed it ;).

Bitcoin seems like another one of those speculative adventures. If ya do your research and like the adventure, there's no reason to not go for it. I don't understand the process. Maybe someone who does would comment on how it's worked for him or her. Nope, I don't mean links to sites. Research is easy. Is there anyone who can do some persuading based on personal experience?

Otherwise, same advice now as back then. If you just want to invest for profit, find something that you use or know well. If you want more security, diversify --or find a mutual fund that automatically diversifies. Decide whether to use an agent or work on your own. Take advantage of any retirement options at your job. If you can put aside 20% of your net salary each pay check, starting in your 20s, you'll be well off by the time you're in your 60s. It's an old truism: it's easier to get rich slowly than to get rich quick.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:58 am

Definitely dollar-cost average, modern portfolio theory, most of your retirement savings in tax-advantaged vehicles (401k and IRAs in USA) is the first way to go.

After that, though, if you want to speculate in bitcoin or whatever with money you can afford (to lose), could be interesting. I want to "buy and hold" like Warren Buffett does, not trade. Interested primarily in the major "AI" players (e.g., Google, Amazon, etc.). Google is now going "AI first" (self-driving cars and "smart" assistants are only some of the stories). There is a reason it is the #2 tech company (in market cap) but then again all of this could be wrong and none of this stuff is the next big thing as the Valley seems to think. It seems plain for the common man to see that the world is getting more computerized, automated, botted, artificial-assistanted, Internetted, etc. Then again one could argue that the market has "already priced all of that into the stock". In that case, see paragraph above.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic