arm swings in qigong

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

arm swings in qigong

Postby everything on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:31 pm

what are these for? why are they so popular? is it the same as arm and leg swings and rotations to warm up before doing stretches? or is there some other TCM type of theory/rationale for these?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: arm swings in qigong

Postby yeniseri on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 am

It all depends of the degree and depth of arm/forearm movement within the sequence that determines some level of benefit.
Arm swing is a natural movement so when added as part of yangshengong/qigong/neigong routine, it "amplifies" the mitochondrial actions (burning off 'fuel for energy and increasing circulation i.e. the hyperemia (sensation of heat/circulation during said routines) and decrease muscle atrophy based on frequency, duration and "intensity of said movements.

Dayan qigong, hexiangzhuang (Crane qigong) amongst others have arm/forearm movements that follow a patter respective of that system that may serve as a visual tool on type, degree of movements
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:25 am

Good stuff, thanks a lot.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:57 am

it "amplifies" the mitochondrial actions (burning off 'fuel for energy and increasing circulation i.e. the hyperemia (sensation of heat/circulation during said routines) and decrease muscle atrophy based on frequency, duration and "intensity of said movements.

Could you psot a link to that?

Its basically active dynamic stretching.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:35 pm

The question here is not well defined
What do you mean by arm swings
It could go from very targeted specific exercises to a madman just swinging with wild abandon
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:58 pm

hard for me to define it too much, but for example, up and down arm swings sort of like kettlebell swings.
everything
Wuji

Postby vagabond on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Forget about qigong

Last edited by vagabond on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vagabond
Huajing

Postby everything on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:06 am

vagabond wrote:Forget about qigong

that looks like awesome stuff, lol. not the swings I was thinking about, but awesome tangent.
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 pm

There is nothing apearing on my feed could you post the url
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:07 am

In the Yang Family qigong we have 'splashing' movements swinging the arms from the shoulder like splashing water behind and in front of you, it's powered by pulsing from the feet up through the ankles, knees and hips into the spine and core and out through the arms, looking up when you're down and down when you're up. It's a great exercise for internal connection and power and magnifies that essential 'pulse', loosening the body.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby amor on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:33 am

Steve Rowe wrote:In the Yang Family qigong we have 'splashing' movements swinging the arms from the shoulder like splashing water behind and in front of you, it's powered by pulsing from the feet up through the ankles, knees and hips into the spine and core and out through the arms, looking up when you're down and down when you're up. It's a great exercise for internal connection and power and magnifies that essential 'pulse', loosening the body.

Sounds like decent warm-up, do you have a demonstration of this by yourself or other?
amor
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:13 am

Patrick wrote:
it "amplifies" the mitochondrial actions (burning off 'fuel for energy and increasing circulation i.e. the hyperemia (sensation of heat/circulation during said routines) and decrease muscle atrophy based on frequency, duration and "intensity of said movements.

Could you psot a link to that?

Its basically active dynamic stretching.

Yes, it is active dynamic stretching. As you know, muscles atrophy (shorten/become tense/etc) with no activity/limted activity/immobility so to engage them, whole body activity with qigong/taijiquan and even walking (so simple, it is a secret ;D ) does the 'psyche' good. At the cellular level, mitochondria, the energy factory with ATP stuff (you can google) with physical activity engages/make the mitochondrial function work effectively. Qigong isn't necvessariuly better at doing this but any purposeful activity within the wellness paradigm is a welcome saviour
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby vagabond on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:59 am

Yea, I missed your description of a very particular type of swing, I'm a dummy. Glad you liked the vid tho.
Wayne if you were talking to me, google strider Clark tongbei
The reason I made the comment though is I tend to think qigong takes care of itself
vagabond
Huajing

Postby Michael on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:14 pm

wayne hansen wrote:There is nothing apearing on my feed could you post the url

The problem is a mobile youtube link was put in the (youtube)(/youtube) tags, but our board can't process that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=145AZIBAhZ0

This one should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=145AZIBAhZ0
Michael

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks for that
Pretty heavy on the sound effects
Can someone post a vid of the swinging arm exercises so we know what we are talking about
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic