arm swings in qigong

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: arm swings in qigong

Postby P. Li on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:48 pm

P. Li
Mingjing

Postby yeniseri on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 am

Thanks for the video!
Which line of Yangshitaijiquan does this come from? Jianhou, Chengfu, etc I ask because I have seen no present Yang inheritor teaching these type of 'conditioning' routines
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:42 am

yeniseri wrote:Thanks for the video!
Which line of Yangshitaijiquan does this come from? Jianhou, Chengfu, etc I ask because I have seen no present Yang inheritor teaching these type of 'conditioning' routines

from the clips caption
Relaxation/Elasticity training in the line of Yang Banhou (Taijiquan)

Interesting clip, we also do some of the same type of conditioning exercises.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby amor on Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:44 am

P. Li wrote:

Thanks for this. Not sure if this is the same routine that Steve Rowe mentioned previously about looking up when down and looking down when up. However if you look around the 01:00-01:08 mark he is clearly looking up as he rises up (head turns up) and looking down (head turns down) as he squats down. Seems to be the opposite of what Steve mentioned. Can anyone clarify if this segment is indeed doing what Steve is saying or not. I mention this because eye position becomes very important in these type of movements.
amor
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:24 am

It's nothing like the exercise I learned from Ma Lee Yang and Jim Uglow. Difficult for me to film, upload to youtube and put on here, but I'll see if I can find a student to demonstrate tonight. Not even sure if a video will do it justice, but I'll try.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:29 pm

The exercises in the clip are the closest I have seen to some of our basic exercises
They are what Huang hsein Hsin developed his 5 from
These are basically lateral where I think what Steve is talking about are front /back
Am I right steve
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby P. Li on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:40 pm

This video isn't mine but was originally posted by Yuen-MIng.
P. Li
Mingjing

Postby Steve Rowe on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:07 am

Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby amor on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 am

Steve Rowe wrote:

Thanks for this Steve. This movement along with yang songgong or even chen silkreeling's are great for inducing relaxed, meditative sort of movements but its when you get to that state and you have to look at more increasingly internal systems to maintain a reference to the center. The eyes, along with auditory and vestibular, is one very important way to utilise this. As there are many muscles in the skull and neck which also link down as far as the tailbone and feet so we can give the whole body a complete stretch. Very difficult to do and maintain, at least I find, once you get to this point.
Last edited by amor on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
amor
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:58 am

The 'double tap' of the heels to the floor show the pulse that is passed by the softening and loosening of the soft tissue to allow it to be transmitted up and down the body core and spine through the loose joints to give a connected power to the swing of the arms, when done well you can hear the 'woosh' of the arms through the air and feel the power both backwards and forwards. you can then add a powerful compression by rolling the closed fists down through the line from the shoulders to the arches of the feet and and a rapid release of the core and spine to enhance the internal aspects of fa jin.
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:18 pm

The exercise that is shown is called both hands fan the fire
It became popular in the 70's when it was found on the wall of a tomb in Beijing
It was further popularised by the fact it was in the wai Tung gung set
some schools do it after standing noi gung to cool the chi
It is a part of one of our set where there are three versions
I have been doing it for 40 years and even though I don't fully understand it I find it more profound each day
There is a version in the Wu style 24 noi gung done in a fully (leaning)extended using each hand alternatively
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:46 pm

We just call em, wake-ups
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:14 pm

what do you do them for (whatever swings you do - sorry to be nonspecific)?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:36 pm

everything wrote:what do you do them for (whatever swings you do - sorry to be nonspecific)?

They're done as part of 'Morning Stretch' routine.

They start with feet at shoulder-width, and standing natural with the knees slightly bent. The hips turn back and forth and the arms swing loose. The knees lock into place just short of torquing.

First position is across the kidneys with the back of the hand when they swing around the back, and palm of the alternate hand as it swings across the front - 10 swings each hand.

Second position has middle fingertip touching the bottom of the shoulder blade on the rearward swing and the alternate palm slapping the front of the shoulder - 10 swings each hand.

Third position has the arms parallel with the floor/ground with the outside arm swinging all the way out to one side and the alternate hand crossing the chest with the first knuckle of the thumb hitting under the clavicle - 10 swings each hand.

Without stopping the alternating/turning of the hips, the arms transition into inside/downward figure-8s for 10 swings and then outside/upward figure-8s for 10 swings.

As to the question asking what they're done for; Nothing really other than to loosen the spine, shoulders and arms, and self-massage. 'Functionally' it builds good whole-body connection and coordination.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:47 pm

You are talking about different exercises to the one Steve put up
The ones we do are a little different to Stevens but follow the same basic track
Ours are similar to raise,drill ,fall overturn and have a similar purpose
The Wu style one I mentioned is about the same thing but adds in strengthening the forward leg and central axis
wayne hansen
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic