Mayweather vs. Mcgregor

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Mayweather vs. Mcgregor

Postby everything on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:15 pm

Well that was what you guys said it would be.

Still, I found it entertaining. Everyone seemed to win in some sense.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:52 am

marvin8 wrote:And, his family and health are important to him.

Based on his multiple arrests for domestic violence against multiple women, I would have to disagree about his family. Mayweather is a piece of shit. Hopefully, someone will slit his throat and he won't get to enjoy any of his money now that he's retired.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 am

Regardless of my thoughts on the matter, Mayweather backed up his sh&t where it mattered so all talk is just that. He got paid as is the MO of the game
If he beats his family again then he should go to jail liek all those who disobey the law(s)
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:32 am

Bhassler wrote:
marvin8 wrote:And, his family and health are important to him.

Based on his multiple arrests for domestic violence against multiple women, I would have to disagree about his family. Mayweather is a piece of shit.

marvin8 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFkcT2EEPTg

You would be disagreeing with Mayweather's statements (coached?), not mine. Maybe I should have added, "In Mayweather's video interviews. . . ." The fact is Mayweather recently opened a Las Vegas strip club called, "Girl Collection." He also dates multiple women.

Mayweather also alludes to McGregor's racism because of his statement, "dance for me, boy,” when I think none exists. Meanwhile, he called McGregor a "fa***t," "hoe, "b*tch," during their London news conference. Also in a past video, Mayweather made this statement about Pacquiao:
Floyd Mayweather, Jr. wrote:As soon as we come off vacation, we’re going to cook that little yellow chump … Once I kick the midget ass, I don’t want you all to jump on my d---. So you all better get on the bandwagon now ... Once I stomp the midget, I’ll make that mother f----- make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice … we’re going to cook him with some cats and dogs.

Bhassler wrote:Hopefully, someone will slit his throat and he won't get to enjoy any of his money now that he's retired.

Some of Mayweather's speeches contradict his own past statements. However, I don't "hope" for his demise.
Last edited by marvin8 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:37 am

It wasn't a contest of character, or even personality. But, that is what they counted on for their payday. So, after the bout, M&M were smiling and hugging while the people who took sides are exactly where they were before the bout.

I just enjoy reading the predictions of how the younger, taller, guy with the longer reach was surely going to beat Mayweather.

It was more entertaining than Mayweather/Pacquiao. Conor hit Mayweather more than Pacquiao did. But, it didn't phase Mayweather at all. In fact, Mayweather was the one going forward into punches throughout the fight.

Afa the stoppage, Mayweather was picking his shots, and the ref saw it. When people said it was unlikely that Mayweather could hurt Conor, they were way off.

http://17909.cdx.c.ooyala.com/1ybnVmYzE ... o328088382
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:46 am

Last edited by windwalker on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:49 am

Steve James wrote:It wasn't a contest of character, or even personality. But, that is what they counted on for their payday. So, after the bout, M&M were smiling and hugging while the people who took sides are exactly where they were before the bout.

I just enjoy reading the predictions of how the younger, taller, guy with the longer reach was surely going to beat Mayweather.

. . . and bigger and heavier. I think the extra weight made McGregor slower and tire faster, that and poor conditioning. McGregor was planning to weight bully Mayweather to overcome his lack of boxing skills.

Steve James wrote:It was more entertaining than Mayweather/Pacquiao. Conor hit Mayweather more than Pacquiao did. But, it didn't phase Mayweather at all. In fact, Mayweather was the one going forward into punches throughout the fight.

Afa the stoppage, Mayweather was picking his shots, and the ref saw it. When people said it was unlikely that Mayweather could hurt Conor, they were way off.

Mayweather coming forward was a defense against a taller McGregor which helped McGregor punch himself out and smother his power left straight. McGregor's inside punches were more arm punches (e.g., slaps, hammers, rabbit).

McGregor's jab was somewhat unique; using his right hand in a pawing manner, then extending it even further while connecting with short range power. McGregor's ability to penetrate distance and deceptiveness helped him to score points.

Per Paulie Malignaggi, once McGregor tired he was looking for a way out/to not get KO'd. All McGregor had to do was defend or throw a few punches, to prevent the referee from stopping the bout. Instead, McGregor dropped his hands without throwing punches and let the referee stop the fight.

Malignaggi, "Bring your balls p*ssy. Remember what I said in the gym. You quit like a b*tch:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sbAo-At5AQ
Last edited by marvin8 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:04 am

Yes, offense is often the best defense. But, afa 'fighting', the complaint about him was that he was totally defensive. To many, that made his fights boring. This was exactly the opposite. Of course, he could do it because of the opponent. I.e., he could play offense on Conor, but not Canelo or even Pacquiao. Hey, Conor/Pacquiao, how does that bout sound?

Btw, there's no excuse for tiring :) But, if he hadn't gone all out, he wouldn't have done as well in the early rounds. If he could have knocked out Mayweather, he would have done it early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYVO33HbJE
Last edited by Steve James on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:15 am

Interesting in that Mcgregor, looked like he wanted to do some type of MMA movement and was fighting what he would or might have normally done, his movement seemed very square to me.. Mayweather, was very smooth, good movement, very round.

Not really a fan of either sport but do appreciate movement and the contrasting styles.
Having had contact with people who've boxed before, anyone thinking they can box with out
having trained in it, is big mistake.

Its quite sophisticated aka known as the "sweet science"
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Pavel Macek on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:18 am

marvin8: excellent analysis
Pavel Macek

Practical Hung Kyun | http://www.practicalhungkyun.com
SIMPLEXSTRONG | http://www.simplexstrong.com
Pavel Macek
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Following their boxing match, Hall-of-Fame referee Robert Byrd came under fire for what appeared to be a premature stoppage, likely because a wobbly McGregor, despite taking heavy damage, was still on his feet when the bout was called.

I guess people forgot about this.

But McGregor’s assessment of the finish, which he attributed to fatigue after nearly 30 minutes of boxing, may be incorrect. That’s according to former ringside physician Darragh O’Carroll, MD, who praised Byrd for putting the brain before the brawn.

From his post on TONIC:

Byrd's calculation to call a stoppage was likely not based on signs of fatigue, but rather signs of traumatic brain injury. Ataxia, or dizziness and loss of balance, is one of the hallmarks of concussion, a type of mild traumatic brain injury. Fatigue may cause sluggish and slow movements, but does not cause the imbalance and poor coordination exhibited by McGregor in the 10th round. Being wobbly, in the setting of pugilistic trauma, will always be treated as the result of head trauma and not as fatigue. To let a fighter continue on would be grossly negligent.
Who cares about brain cells when you can just let him bang, bro?

The discussion on chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) has slowly started to permeate the “just bleed” culture of cage fighting, which is still relatively young. It’s hard to initiate a call to action when everyone is fine.

But in reality, they’re not fine.

That’s why fighters like Krzysztof Soszynski and Ian McCall, among others, are struggling to preserve what’s left of their grey matter. Until then, it’s up to the folks in charge of fighter safety to do their jobs.

Assuming they haven’t been compromised themselves.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:42 pm

200 million
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:55 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:09 pm

GrahamB wrote:I wrote some stuff about it:

https://www.jetli.com/2017/09/learn-flo ... r-mcgregor

One thing: "did a lot better than everybody expected." I think that there are loads of McGregor fans who thought he'd do better, even win.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 pm

GrahamB wrote:...it’s hard to deny that McGregor, who hadn’t had a professional boxing matching in his life until that point, did a lot better than everybody expected, and even forced Mayweather to change his usual gameplan to beat him.
https://www.jetli.com/2017/09/learn-flo ... r-mcgregor

Had just read Graham's article then bumped into an ESPN article that I found interesting too.

The ESPN article is titled:
Why are we praising Conor McGregor for losing to Floyd Mayweather?

Dotun Akintoye ESPN wrote:...In other words, to believe what you were seeing is to believe Floyd all of a sudden no longer knew the basics of boxing.

Dotun Akintoye ESPN wrote:The truth is McGregor was merely a prop in a perfectly executed piece of theater. He didn't survive 10 rounds with Floyd Mayweather, he was carried for 10 rounds by Mayweather.

...Let's start with a basic observation. It appears McGregor did not learn much about boxing during his training camp. He did not learn how to throw a punch. He doesn't know how to start the motion in his legs and hips and transfer his body weight through the punch. He doesn't have even average power in the ring.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/2 ... mayweather
Last edited by Trip on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trip
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic