Mayweather vs. Mcgregor

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Mayweather vs. Mcgregor

Postby Steve James on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Finny wrote:Floyd may be the best boxer of all time, but he's never hurt anyone in the ring.

And McGregor is 20lbs heavier, despite the cut. He won't get hurt, but neither will Floyd.

Well, never is a big word :).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGcwFgvGBrU
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:55 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:41 pm

is McGregor better at boxing than these guys (how good were these guys)?

Defensive highlights:

better than Pacquiao? (surely not). some observers said Pacman won, but that's another topic.

other than Father Time wanting to give Floyd a beatdown, it's hard to see what McGregor has, boxing-wise. Straight left? Left hook? Southpaw status?

Last edited by everything on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 pm

perhaps a better analysis

/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:29 am

everything wrote:Even if everyone thinks this is a mismatch just made for incredible ppv sales, surely McGregor can protect himself better than the other UFC fighters? That said, I have no idea what McGregor's typical attributes are in mma or how his striking is in mma rules.

McGregor's boxing is impressive against UFC fighters, not professional boxers. His main attribute in mma is the straight left hand and uppercut, being southpaw. I like McGregor's timing, countering and extension with the straight left. The problem is this is a boxing match, under boxing rules. McGregor is an amateur boxer, not professional. The range, setups (e.g., no kicks, teeps, limited hand fighting with closed gloves) and attacks are not the same in boxing.

I have not seen McGregor's ability to: jab, inside fight, body punches (He is a head hunter), defense (other than pull counter, use feet to move, not enough variety, too predictable showing patterns), bob and weave, slip punches, head movement, cut off the ring, set up punches, box backing up and fight against the ropes. McGregor seems to stand tall and be stiff in the hips, although he has good balance. His angles and positioning before and after punches is limited. His footwork and pivoting is also lacking.

Here is McGregor (gray tank top) against a professional boxer, whom he did not knockout.

Published on Dec 1, 2016
Boxer Chris Van Heerden was not happy with the edited sparring footage Conor McGregor released on his website, which was heavily one sided. Well he's let us post this full unedited round from their session, which shows how it actually played out:
How do you rate Conor's boxing, and would he go the distance with Floyd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etWbCUQ_68w

Here is an interview with Van Heerden.

Published on Aug 17, 2017
UNCUT Chris Van Heerden & Trainer react to McGregor Sparring Paulie beef, 8oz gloves, His Flaws & Prediction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdoEPtlKtCk

My guess is McGregor will have to come forward aggressively (normally he is a counter puncher) and will gas out (poor stamina). Floyd will set traps and be steps ahead of McGregor. I believe McGregor is susceptible to hooks and uppercuts with his lack of short range and defensive skills. Floyd's ring IQ and experience will overcome his age and weight disadvantage. Mayweather will stop McGregor under 9 rounds.

McGregor can land a lucky punch in the first four rounds and KO Mayweather. However IMO, that's unlikely. McGregor has dropped to less than a 3-to-1 underdog.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:41 am

so McGregor is a counterattacker? In one of those videos and in some other "expert" advice videos, people say as the bigger, stronger, younger, longer reach boxer, he should come out super aggressive and see what he can do early on.

That's why that analysis of the Maidana (sp?) v Mayweather fight might be interesting, I guess. I suppose Mayweather already thought of that, though. Will he let himself stay against the ropes and dodge? Will he use those forearms to push McGregor's head as a sort of control? Mayweather's "grappling" may be better or worse in this context? How about "mma surprises"? "Superman punch"? Anything else novel (that would then immediately not be novel) he's got?

Aside from the circus appeal, do you expect this bout to at least be entertaining in some way in the actual boxing (I have very little idea how to follow boxing in a technical "sweet science" way, though)? I'm not going to buy the PPV but curious.
Last edited by everything on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:40 am

everything wrote:so McGregor is a counterattacker? In one of those videos and in some other "expert" advice videos, people say as the bigger, stronger, younger, longer reach boxer, he should come out super aggressive and see what he can do early on.

That's why that analysis of the Maidana (sp?) v Mayweather fight might be interesting, I guess. I suppose Mayweather already thought of that, though.

Yes, it's sort of a contradiction. Being too aggressive can smother his punches. McGregor works better in the outside range with his long punches. In Maidana vs Mayweather 2, Mayweather was able to neutralize Maidana's aggressiveness (e.g., lateral movement, clinching, smothering) and make the fight more boring.

everything wrote:Will he let himself stay against the ropes and dodge? Will he use those forearms to push McGregor's head as a sort of control? Mayweather's "grappling" may be better or worse in this context? How about "mma surprises"? "Superman punch"? Anything else novel (that would then immediately not be novel) he's got?

Mayweather may pivot out and check hook like against Hatton, pretending to be cornered against the ropes. Mayweather will use forearms to break structure, unbalance and control McGregor. McGregor learned the same thing from Floyd and will try to use them too.

I believe Superman punch is illegal as one foot must be on the ground. Regardless, I don't think Superman punch is effective. Because, it is feinting a flying knee or kick, then punching. But, kicks are illegal in boxing. So, Mayweather is not going to react by blocking a kick. Backfists are illegal. I don't believe there are many "mma surprises" under boxing rules. McGregor is good at bridging the gap and broken rhythm (half beats). However, I believe Mayweather can neutralize these.

everything wrote:Aside from the circus appeal, do you expect this bout to at least be entertaining in some way in the actual boxing (I have very little idea how to follow boxing in a technical "sweet science" way, though)?

McGregor has been switching stances and darting in and out of range in his training for this fight. For me, it will be interesting to watch Mayweather neutralize McGregor's left straight, uppercuts, timing and broken rhythm. I believe McGregor's lack of boxing skills in all ranges and lack of stamina will make the match boring. Unless, Mayweather wants to make it entertaining for the fans.
everything wrote:I'm not going to buy the PPV but curious.

I sent you same PM, as before.
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:05 pm

thanks for this breakdown and the message. it seems interesting for a few reasons, at least.
everything
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:57 am

everything wrote:so McGregor is a counterattacker? In one of those videos and in some other "expert" advice videos, people say as the bigger, stronger, younger, longer reach boxer, he should come out super aggressive and see what he can do early on. . . .

How about "mma surprises"? "Superman punch"? Anything else novel (that would then immediately not be novel) he's got?

Aside from the circus appeal, do you expect this bout to at least be entertaining in some way in the actual boxing (I have very little idea how to follow boxing in a technical "sweet science" way, though)? I'm not going to buy the PPV but curious.

If you believe what McGregor & Floyd Sr. are saying here, this may give some insight into their gameplans, strategy and how the "bout" will go.

@ :50, "We are prepared for twelve 3 minute rounds of non-stop pace. And I will go forward. And I will put the pressure on him and break this old man. Trust me on that. . . . I don’t see him lasting two rounds."

@ 2:02, "I am not going to look to implement anything. I am going to outbox this man at his own game."

Published on Aug 24, 2017
Conor McGregor addresses the media for the final time in Las Vegas ahead of his boxing bout against Floyd Mayweather:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvhgpEjxP0M

@ :25 – 1:15, "He’s going to get a lot of punishment in the fight. . . . Jabs, right hands, hooks. Then in the body also, he’s going to get a lot of punishment there. When Floyd starts going to the body, then we’re pretty much going to get him out of there."

Published on Aug 23, 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFeQXMzB-vE
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:07 am

Whoever gets hit more will lose. If the young guy wins because he outlasts the older guy, it won't prove anything. If he gets knocked out or loses by decision, it won't mean much. What would be next? Would Conor challenge Canelo or GGG? Would Floyd take up mma?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:49 am

Steve James wrote:Whoever gets hit more will lose. If the young guy wins because he outlasts the older guy, it won't prove anything. If he gets knocked out or loses by decision, it won't mean much. What would be next? Would Conor challenge Canelo or GGG? Would Floyd take up mma?

Yes, it doesn't "mean much." This is not a "fight." It's a money event; where fans are willing to pay to see two popular, polarizing, combat sports figures compete. Per the boxing purist, it's a novelty; amateur vs professional from two different sports.

Conor will challenge Malignaggi. :) Floyd Jr. will retire as his investments makes millions a month. And, his family and health are important to him.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 am

No matter what it may or may not "prove" as far as actual boxing skills, it seems to cement Floyd's status as a businessman. He bought out his promoter Bob Arum for $750k, became his own promoter, pays promoters whatever he wants, created his own "reality tv" show, realized the circus appeal of this fight, knows how to sell it, gonna get he and Conor a big payday. For his part, Conor seems pretty savvy, too. Getting presumably much bigger check than in mma. If he can get the unlikely win, if he can hang for a bit, or even if he loses, there doesn't seem to be any downside for him. He can say "I beat the champ", "I hung pretty well with the champ", or "I lost, but he is the champ, and I learned a lot, and will apply it to mma". In the unlikely event that Mayweather loses or does worse than expected, what's he gonna say? I guess "Father Time beats everyone; I told you this younger, stronger guy is good and could possibly win"? That doesn't seem as good. Not that he will likely care. His career earnings will have hit about $1 billion.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:14 am

Oh yeah, it's all about the pay-per-view ;)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:19 am

Steve James wrote:Whoever gets hit more will lose. If the young guy wins because he outlasts the older guy, it won't prove anything. If he gets knocked out or loses by decision, it won't mean much. What would be next? Would Conor challenge Canelo or GGG? Would Floyd take up mma?

everything wrote:No matter what it may or may not "prove" as far as actual boxing skills, it seems to cement Floyd's status as a businessman. He bought out his promoter Bob Arum for $750k, became his own promoter, pays promoters whatever he wants, created his own "reality tv" show, realized the circus appeal of this fight, knows how to sell it, gonna get he and Conor a big payday. For his part, Conor seems pretty savvy, too. Getting presumably much bigger check than in mma. If he can get the unlikely win, if he can hang for a bit, or even if he loses, there doesn't seem to be any downside for him. He can say "I beat the champ", "I hung pretty well with the champ", or "I lost, but he is the champ, and I learned a lot, and will apply it to mma". In the unlikely event that Mayweather loses or does worse than expected, what's he gonna say? I guess "Father Time beats everyone; I told you this younger, stronger guy is good and could possibly win"? That doesn't seem as good. Not that he will likely care. His career earnings will have hit about $1 billion.

Wanted to add, there are no losers between Mayweather and McGregor. They have already won. (McGregor was collecting welfare 4 1/2 years ago.) The only possible losers are fans that believe the event will be more than what actually happens. :)

Mayweather at 3:57, "When you're fighting at this level. There is no losing. . . . I never known a man to make hundreds and hundreds of millions, that's a loser. "

Published on Aug 9, 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFkcT2EEPTg
Last edited by marvin8 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:24 am

I never known a man to make hundreds and hundreds of millions, that's a loser.

Word :) But, I'm going to watch the replay on YouTube.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic