periodic stretching after sitting at desk

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

periodic stretching after sitting at desk

Postby everything on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:18 am

What do you do to stretch periodically if you're working at a desk all day? I currently just do some leg swings and some shoulder rolls and maybe stretch my calves and hamstrings. This is just based on what feels tight.

What if I want to do some more than that? Should I? Can you recommend a routine to add to the above? Constraints: keep in mind that I'm probably lazy, forgetful, and pressed for time, so don't give me an entire bodyweight routine or one hour of BGZ walking the circle, just something to do in under 5 minutes every hour or two or three. Thanks!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: periodic stretching after sitting at desk

Postby Pavel Macek on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:27 am

This a stretch I do all the time (sorry, it is in Czech, skip the beginning and just follow the video). It is my modification of "Worlds Greatest Stretch". Do 5 breaths in each of the positions. Takes little time, does wonders.

Pavel Macek

Practical Hung Kyun | http://www.practicalhungkyun.com
SIMPLEXSTRONG | http://www.simplexstrong.com
Pavel Macek
Mingjing

Postby everything on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:48 am

Thanks that looks great. I used to do something similar, but never at my desk for some reason. Will start this today (will still do some leg swings and shoulder rotations first). Hoping to get a little more limber and feel better by increasing frequency of stretching type moves and not sitting still for so long every day.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:10 am

What I've found is that one of the problems with sitting is that the hamstrings are kept in a contracted position. So, just standing up every few minutes will help --especially if one has just started sitting for long periods. Alternatively, keeping the legs stretched out while sitting will also help. If you've got the bucks, a standing desk is also a great idea. But, after many hours of sitting, as at an office, the fascia in the butt can contract and merge so that the muscles don't move freely. At that point, just standing won't work as well, and some type of stretching is needed.

However, if you could stand as much as you sit, that would be best.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:41 am

Hmm yeah thanks. I could theoretically get a standing desk after a bit of bureaucracy. I'll probably just follow the advice in this thread so far. Day 1 and it's going well haha. Doubt I'll post pictures of before and after flexibility but here we go.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic