hamstrings / quad (im)balance?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

hamstrings / quad (im)balance?

Postby everything on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi all, could you give me some info/advice on hamstring/quad imbalance? Should hamstrings be nearly as strong as quads (measured somewhat artificially with curling/extension machines)? Kb swing hits "posterior" more right? Will have follow-up Qs but let's start with those for now. Thanks man.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: hamstrings / quad (im)balance?

Postby Peacedog on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:16 pm

I've seen it with cyclists. Really strong muscles in the quads and weaker hamstrings.

Squatting and deadlifting seem to clean it up pretty fast. Although, they need to start with a squatting weight that they find laughably light as their lack of eccentric strength can get them into trouble really quickly.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:37 pm

pretty sure this is me as well (football/soccer, some cycling, some tennis, some pickle ball). hamstrings are probably far, far weaker (measured only on hamstring curl vs. leg extension machines). I was doing kb swings for a while, but injured my calf. almost done rehabbing and looking to minimize a few weak spots/imbalances. I can't do heavy squats or deadlifts due to a shoulder injury/condition, so probably going to get back to kb swings for the "posterior chain". any advice/comments/snark welcome.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Kettle bells or t-handle swings are probably your best bet.

Some specialty equipment like a safety squat bar (see below) or belt squats would work too but that equipment is pretty rare outside powerlifting gyms.

Have you thought about surgery to repair the shoulder?

http://www.roguefitness.com/sb-1-rogue-safety-squat-bar
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Yeah the surgeon offered to re-break my collarbone and reset everything. But there is no real need for me to do that. I can lift enough weight for regular life. I can do exercise I want to do. Gonna see my PT who will try to work on the adhesions, then we'll see.

Thanks for the advice and info. I think kb will work fine for now.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic