video classes

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

video classes

Postby everything on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:32 pm

have you taken them? how do you find them? I've taken some. So far, they've been pretty good for programming and other technology stuff. can be much more enjoyable than a book.

how about for sports / MA / body stuff? ever tried it? I watch a lot of how-to videos on youtube for some sports stuff, but obviously it's not "hands on" instruction.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: video classes

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:53 am

everything wrote:have you taken them? how do you find them? I've taken some. So far, they've been pretty good for programming and other technology stuff. can be much more enjoyable than a book.

how about for sports / MA / body stuff? ever tried it? I watch a lot of how-to videos on youtube for some sports stuff, but obviously it's not "hands on" instruction.

It can be useful for handicrafts, art, music etc. Drawing and writing etc. But for body arts, dance, yoga, tai chi etc, I am a bit skeptic. We tend to believe that we move better than we actually do...
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Bao wrote:It can be useful for handicrafts, art, music etc. Drawing and writing etc. But for body arts, dance, yoga, tai chi etc, I am a bit skeptic. We tend to believe that we move better than we actually do...

I've seen amateur movement groups doing really well with a mix of video and peer correction. For high performance I'd still recommend a live teacher, but video is amazing to pass on insights from coaches you wouldn't normally have access to.
Last edited by TrainingDummy on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Unfortunately I'm not at high level so I'm thinking I should use more video.

Just stumbled across Udemy.

I've use some sports videos that helped, but far less MA video (maybe the range of things is too great).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic