Peer review ...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Peer review ...

Postby middleway on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:40 am

Found this pretty funny haha. ;D It also highlights something i have blogged about previously on the dangers of ONLY accepting methodologies etc that are backed by 'Peer Review'.

http://www.sciencealert.com/a-neuroscientist-just-tricked-4-journals-into-accepting-a-fake-paper-on-midi-chlorians
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Re: Peer review ...

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:33 am

Those are not actually peer reviewed journals, nor are they accepted in their supposed community. The article makes that clear. The point you seem to be trying to make is less clear. Peer review is a vital and legitimate part of scholarship.

That said, and the real point of the article (which was not about peer review) was to trash these pay to play publishers. That is a very worthy cause. I get emails every week asking to publish papers or various thesis.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:44 am

the title of the thread was relevant to the final comments in the article:

"It's just a reminder that at some 'peer reviewed' journals, there really is no meaningful peer review at all," Neuroskeptic explains.

"This matters because scientific publishers are companies selling a product, and the product is peer review."

Ian,

I think we are on the same page. I look to published research daily and value it emmensly.

My comment was that some people will ONLY accept training methodologies if they are backed by studies. This is, and has proven to be, a mistake in the realm of physical training.

A very well known example of the 'clinical data' being decades ahead of the study is the following :

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232103472_Cluster_Training_A_Novel_Method_for_Introducing_Training_Program_Variation

Cluster training has been in use since the early 70's. The paper backing up the methodology was published in 2008. As Strength Coach Charles Poloquin pointed out about this, "if athletes had waiting for the 'reasearch' they would have missed out on decades of advantageous training'.

So to clarify, I am 100% on board with good research.

thanks.
Last edited by middleway on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby KEND on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Pulled this one from my files[of course it could be fake news]
Doctor Warns – 80% of Medical Studies are Advertisements for Big Pharma
Christina Sarich, Staff Writer October 14, 2016
Waking Times
In 2015 the editor of the Lancet study admitted that pharmaceutical marketing is supported by deceitful research. Now, a new report issued by a distinguished doctor provides more insight into how drug companies manipulate scientific research in order to advance corporate interests in the realms of health and medicine.
A meta-analysis is an overarching view of several previously conducted scientific studies which measures both qualitative and quantitative evidence to come to a conclusion about a premise proposed by a scientist – except when that study is paid for by the very companies whom conduct the ‘analysis’ in order to sway data in their interests.
Though the tool of meta-analysis is used in every branch of science, it has become an important device for doctors when trying to determine the best method of treating disease. They’ve become essential, in fact, because of the sheer onslaught of medical studies coming out every year.
The National Institutes of Health invests nearly $32.2 billion annually for medical research alone, giving grants to a myriad of institutions involving studies conducted by over 6,000 scientists.
A meta-analysis is a way for a doctor to wade through the excessive information available and come to a conclusion – something he used to just ask his fellow doctors in a field about. He now relegates that task to medical studies. There’s just one problem. A new report suggests that more than 80 percent of these studies are funded by corporate interests. It’s not science these doctors are reading, but a commercial in the form of scientific literature put together by and funded by drug makers.
These kinds of studies are “extremely important,” according to Dr. John Ioannidis, a professor of medicine health research and policy at Stanford University. He has conducted many of these types of studies throughout his career, and he says, “They’re trying to make some sense out of a very convoluted scientific and medical literature.”
Not much sense is being made, though, despite thousands upon thousands of research studies.
Ioannidis suggests, “They [drug companies] can get the results or at least the interpretation that fits their needs. So you have the most powerful and most prestigious design in current medical evidence, and it can be easily manipulated as an advertisement, as a marketing tool.”
Though the National Academy of Medicine offers many protocols for divulging the ‘money behind the study,’ it can be very difficult for doctors well versed in medical jargon, let alone a common person doing their own research, to wade through the subtleties of a study which is designed from its origins to come to a specific conclusion.
For example, Pfizer, the maker of Prozac, and who pays for many of the meta-analysis for their own drugs, can hide their authorship behind an institution, a scientist, or even suggest in the analysis itself, findings which are not an assimilation of unbiased analytical data, but which simply promote the use of their product.
Many studies have found similar issues with drug companies meddling in the scientific data to skew it in their favor. One such study, penned by Ioannidis, called “The Mass Production of Redundant, Misleading, and Conflicted Systematic Reviews and Meta-analyses” published in the Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, which evaluated 185 meta-analyses, found that one-third of them [meta analysis] were written by pharma industry employees. Other conflicts of interest were also very apparent.
Aside from Ioannidis’ research, in 2015, the editor of one of the world’s most respected medical journals, The Lancet, went public about the massive research fraud that was ruining the field of medical clinical research:
“Much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue. Afflicted by studies with small sample sizes, tiny effects, invalid exploratory analyses, and flagrant conflicts of interest, together with an obsession for pursuing fashionable trends of dubious importance, science has taken a turn towards darkness.” – Dr. Richard Horton, editor of the world’s most respected medical journal, The Lancet
These statements are alarming for several reasons. First, there is the implied lack of any sort of unbiased research on medicine, along with the ridiculous amounts of public funds, let alone private, being spent on ‘medical research,’ that is already determined well before a study is analyzed.
Secondly, the public is swindled once again with fancy, peer-reviewed, scientific journals which should stand as fact, but have been infiltrated by the corporate elite.
As Ioannidis states,
“The publication of systematic reviews and meta-analyses should be realigned to remove biases and vested interests and to integrate them better with the primary production of evidence.”
Christina Sarich is a freelance writer, musician, yogi, and humanitarian. Her insights appear in magazines as diverse as Weston A. Price, Nexus, Atlantis Rising, and the Cuyamungue Institute, among others. She was recently a featured author in the Journal, “Wise Traditions in Food, Farming, and Healing Arts,” and her commentary on healing, ascension, and human potential inform a large body of the alternative news lexicon. She is also a staff writer for Waking Times.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Peer review has been so abused that at times it is a joke!
Common knowledge of peer review is to let a colleague who wants to get some extra stipend or gratuity to collude with his friend adn write a similar review while both collect the free money from that external 3rd party who benefitted from the reviews of the well renowned thought leaders of some repute. Tit for tat!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:10 am

Has anyone worked here in research and published some articles? My experience was pretty negative...most of time all you do is write research proposals, trying to fit your research somehow into the call. In a nutshell all you do is try to come up with a product that anyone can market later. And if you are not a senior, you are everyone´s bitch :)
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Teazer on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:36 am

Patrick wrote:Has anyone worked here in research and published some articles? My experience was pretty negative...most of time all you do is write research proposals, trying to fit your research somehow into the call. In a nutshell all you do is try to come up with a product that anyone can market later. And if you are not a senior, you are everyone´s bitch :)

I've coauthored a couple. It seems to work quite well in economics and finance. That said I've replicated a couple of papers and found a non-trivial mistake in one. Some journals have started requiring authors to make their code/data available online which is a big step forward. For more systematic improvement, I think it would be worth also having new types of industry journals set up just to publish 1. paper replications, robustness checks, the effects of minor changes in data assumptions, that sort of thing, and 2. Negative results - situations where there were no significant effects or relations found in a study
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:48 am

Yeah, some journals (increasing) require to upload your data in an a public repository. I think this is a wonderful thing, as now anyone can not only reuse the data but also check the statistics (even better if you include the R files). My experience was, that no one ever checks the calculations much.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 am

Patrick wrote:Has anyone worked here in research and published some articles? My experience was pretty negative...most of time all you do is write research proposals, trying to fit your research somehow into the call. In a nutshell all you do is try to come up with a product that anyone can market later. And if you are not a senior, you are everyone´s bitch :)

Have worked in Big Pharma and this is the modus operandi of peer review. Many of the abuses have been stopped but better and clever ways of getting points across are. and have been developed to do the same thing. Use of words strung together to get a desired viewpoint backed up by masterful statistics is enough for getting a bad drug on the marketi and keeping a great drug off the market.
To reiterate, science is a wonderful things when used for the greater good but when the goal is just to rip off people then one has to wonder for whom the beels tolls and many times if one cannot afford a drug, guess who suffers. On a recent group initiative to negotiaste drug prices, many of our elected representatives refuse to negotiate just because Big Phrama said "Hell NO"

Imagine paying 500K just to stay alive and I am exaggerating!

Nature/Neuroscience: Pro and cons of peer review
http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v2/ ... lback=true
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic