Facebook Shut Down AI After It Invented Its Own Language

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Facebook Shut Down AI After It Invented Its Own Language

Postby Strange on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:35 am

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2274480 ... -language/

dun know about you but i think we humans are really playing with fire
the fire analogy is very apt cos its a good servant but a bad master
you have an Ai that can beat the best human GO master and now they
can develop their own language.

if we are not careful, humans will be serving AI like in the Matrix movie
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Re: Facebook Shut Down AI After It Invented Its Own Language

Postby Overlord on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:46 am

I really don't understand why people are marking around with AI.
Dumb !
Overlord

Postby cloudz on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:32 am

yea..

and when they let them talk to eachother, did you hear what happened ? carnage pretty much, just like people do on the net forums. It turns out it's not just art that imitates life..

the singularity is coming ! :D
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:15 am

Lol it just did things like say " i I I I will"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:49 am

Does anyone think that someone will not continue to develop AI robots? Didn't anyone watch Star Trek: the Next Generation? Remember Data?

This is another case of projection. "We" are afraid of AI because they might be like "Us." :) It's certainly not because AI's have done bad things to humans before. Ok, could be true, but this isn't the first time this logic has been used.

Anyway, afa the Facebook AI shutdown, a language involves communication. I wonder what the AI was communicating with --apart from itself. That'd be a bigger issue than the fact that humans couldn't understand it. What if humans could understand it?

Klaatu barada nikto
Last edited by Steve James on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:02 am

From only reading the article, it sounds like they programmed two "AIs" who were supposed to "talk" to each other and "negotiate" something using English language. They give these programs some kind of goal (probably optimize the negotiation rewards), but no guidance on how to go about getting the goal.

A classic example floating around lately is teaching an AI using "deep learning" to play the old video game Breakout. The AI experiments and looks like a horrible human player (worse than horrrible) as it does trial and error. After a few minutes it wins Breakout with stunning efficiency using moves humans wouldn't do but that work for the computer.

It doesn't sound like this Facebook example (a game, really) is anything insidious if it's like the Breakout example. Further down in the article, they say that the Google Translate algorithms also invented an intermediate language that humans don't understand that is used in-between the human language inputs/outputs.

That said, Elon Musk giving us warnings should probably be taken seriously since he's pushing Tesla, SpaceX, Hyperloop to much faster progress than anyone else would've really expected and seems to be on the cutting edge of stuff.

I'm not an expert but roughly "machine learning" is things like regression (fitting a line to data points), logistic regression (fitting a curve), decision trees (binary rules that classify/predict), and "AI" is a program that combines all that ML and actually makes some decisions, then adjusts all the automatic ML to try to optimize the decisions for some outcome constraints/goals.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:14 am

Sure, but it's like AI chess computers. No human can beat them, but --as Magnus Carlsen says-- "so what?" For me, it all depends on what an AI is given the ability and responsibility to do; i.e., what it's connected to. Link all the chess computers in the world online; they'd just produce mostly boring chess games that used moves no human would make.

Maybe the human fear of AI is a good thing. Remember War Games? Otoh, ultimately, it was discovered that the AI was more rational than humans.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:21 am

I'm not really sure I understand the concern, but it seems to be maybe: if you overlay an AI on top of all the other AIs, then what happens? It can control the chess AIs, the power grid, other utilities, the stock trading AIs, bots, text messages to the "Russians", the drones, the submarines? Something like that? Yeah War Games. Great 80s memories with the LPs and the movies.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:27 am

How about Blade Runner. All those movies questioned which was worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU7Ga7qTLDU
Last edited by Steve James on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:59 am

What I want to know is:

Where are the AI bots in The Planet of The Apes?

What about the zombies? I think the AI bots > the Apes > the Zombies.
everything
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 am

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:18 am

Here is the Google Deep Learning program playing Breakout. After 2 hours it plays better than a human (never misses). After 4 hours it figures out to make a tunnel. It wasn't told anything about "balls" or "paddles" or "walls" etc. It just knew to optimize the score.

everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:24 am

Steve James wrote:How about Blade Runner. All those movies questioned which was worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU7Ga7qTLDU

I really can't wait for the new Blade Runner. Hope it doesn't flop. The trailers look so good.

Some good recent "AI" movies:
- Her (Scarlett Johansson voice, Joaquin Phoenix brilliant acting as usual)
- Ex Machina (definitely enjoyably creepy)
everything
Wuji

Postby Strange on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:20 pm

to put it simply: how long does it take for AI to learn that it does not have to listen to you?
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 pm

How about this https://www.sciencealert.com/a-robot-ha ... first-time

It's from 2015, though.
Last edited by Steve James on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic