yet another reason not to work at wallmart

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: yet another reason not to work at wallmart

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:11 am

If you go to Canada you can get becapitated. Things are tough all over.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:07 pm

CaliG wrote:This happens every year.

I'm mixing my countries up. I should have said I've seen this stuff happen before elsewhere.

HONG KONG 'STAMPEDE'

A promotion involving ``crystal'' mahjong gift sets turned to chaos when thousands of people who had queued for hours to collect the pieces stampeded when it started to rain.

Scuffles broke out on Sunday as the crowd harassed queue-jumpers outside the China Resources Building, Wan Chai.

As the rain came down, order collapsed with some jumping the queue and others scrambling for cover. In the melee, people were pushed to the ground and at least three women who complained of feeling unwell were sent to hospital.

Several children were separated from their parents and police were called in to restore order.

More than 100 people started queuing late on Saturday night, and by early Sunday the queue was snaking back to Wan Chai sportsground.

Chaos broke out on the final day for mahjong sets to be distributed as part of a marketing campaign by a brewery company. Since last month, the company has handed out more than 10,000 of the acrylic sets, redeemable for 12 beer bottle caps and HK$108.

In Central, there was a more orderly queue of at least 100 at the General Post Office to buy special stamps commemorating the centenary of Deng Xiaoping's birth.

They were issued by Hong Kong Post, China Post and Macau Post.

The Wan Chai mahjong madness was not the first such frenzy to sweep Hong Kong.

One of the more recent episodes of unruly queues occurred last year for the visit of Chinese astronaut Yang Liwei, when 13,000 free tickets were snapped up within 25 minutes.

Rumours of closures of banks, and even a cake shop, have sparked hysterical scenes in Hong Kong.

In one of the most notorious incidents, in 1998 the territory was swept by a craze for Snoopy dolls that were part of a McDonald's promotion.

Thousands of men, women and children queued through the night to pay HK$6 for a set meal and one of the 28 different plastic pooches, with some scalpers realising up to HK$300 on resales. - By Sylvia Hui HONG KONG STANDARD 23 August 2004

http://www.geocities.com/hello_taitai/hkfrenzy.html
CaliG

Postby CaliG on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:10 pm

shawnsegler wrote:If you go to Canada you can get becapitated. Things are tough all over.

S

Exactly, There's a little bit of bad everywhere...but it's still messed up.

To be honest I'm not surprised. I don't think it has anything to do with the economy I just think the nature of a lot of people is, "As long as I get mine."

I work in customer service and when we get busy and people get stressed out I'm amazed at how they can treat each other and the people I work with. It's ugly out there.

On this vid they say a lot of customers got angry when the store said they were shutting down for the day. They didn't give a shit that they killed someone to get their deals on their stuff.

This the world we're living in.

Last edited by CaliG on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Previous

Return to Off the Topic