Historical info on S.N. Goenka techniques

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Historical info on S.N. Goenka techniques

Postby aiasthewall on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Random question: does anyone know of any history/related practices to one of the primary meditation techniques in Goenka's Vipassana meditation? I don't mean the simple mindfulness practice but rather the "body-scan" method where tingling spots are recognized throughout the body in successive sweeps. In the retreats there was some scriptural/theological underpinnings discussed, but I found these dubious at best after reading the primary sources cited in the Pali. Not that it matters if the technique works. Anyhow, was just curious if this is a common practice, and from where it may have originated.
aiasthewall
Anjing

Re: Historical info on S.N. Goenka techniques

Postby I-mon on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:16 am

Different body scanning methods are common in many (most? all?) of the Theravada Buddhist meditation traditions. The Satipatthana Sutta and Anapanasati Sutta are the two main textual foundations. There is some dispute amongst different traditions about what is meant by the term "kaya sankhara" and what is meant by "noticing the entire kaya sankhara during inhalation and exhalation", in the Anapanasati Sutta, for example. Some maintain that it is referring to the "body", some are adamant that it means the "breath-body", some state that those essentially mean the same thing since the breath is experienced as a movement through the whole body...in the end it doesn't matter that much either way, IMO/IME - get more and more sensitive to the subtle breath and the links between mind and body, breath, emotions, conditioned responses to bodily sensations and fluctuations of the mind, etc, all gradually reveal themselves more clearly and in more detail.

Goenka's Vipassana is most likely just that, Goenka's take on things based on his studies with his teacher U Bha Kin and his studies of the Pali texts. There is quite a lot of information out there about the many influences on different Buddhist traditions over the last few hundred years, and you shouldn't be surprised to discover that most lineages claimed histories are more like pseudo-histories. Goenka's techniques are as effective as any others though, depending on how they're understood and how they're practiced.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:59 am

Vipassana is not about SN Goenka He just happens to be an 'inheritor' form the rediscovered Burmese tradition based on an alleged long lost Indian tradition.
The Tibetan lineage comes from the same thrown away Indian origins of yore but as usual, it is about the individual ability to learn and transcend the mystical tradition. Just bring one's mind and diminish the chatter especially in this I world of today
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby aiasthewall on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:23 am

Very helpful, thanks you two!
aiasthewall
Anjing

Return to Off the Topic