The Megachurch

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Megachurch

Postby KEND on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:45 am

This morning, while changing stations on tv I came across joel osteen, the controversial Houston preacher. I was expecting an 'old time religion' sermon but no, I saw a sleek bouffant haired presumably failed car salesman telling bible stories. No particular charisma, why is he so popular. How did this megachurch phenomena originate. The congregation was racially diverse but they were listening raptly to this white yuppy telling them how to live. I have no problem with faith, that is your path, just try and lead a decent life but this brand seems particularly mean spirited.[ I remember a George Carlin quote 'and he always wants money'. ]
KEND
Great Old One

Re: The Megachurch

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:09 am

People have found that it is profitable to spread the gospel. Osteen is not really different from the many others that exist and have existed. But, it's impossible to tell if someone is a sincere preacher who happens to become wealthy and a preacher who plays on the faith of his parishioners in order to become wealthy.

I think the religion and the money aspects have to be separated. I don't think churches should be tax exempt. I don't think there should be any profit at all. Believers need to pay for their own places of worship. (Jesus had no church, and some say he did ok). Btw, the current administration wants to allow churches to make political contributions. Think about it.

Imo, however, what the preacher says is the key thing. Greed is universal, and many argue that it's good. The televangelist Creflo Dollar told his audience that they needed to donate more so that he can replace his aging LearJet, because God's message needs to be spread.

Joel Osteen does have a younger audience that is more diverse than many others. But, Ken, it's not unusual for white televangelists to have black congregants. Osteen emphasizes the openness of his ministry, and explains it in religious terms. You might remember that some of the "old-time" radio and tv preachers (like Charles Coughlin) could mix racism in with their fire and brimstone.

Well, there's a rumor that Osteen is retiring now, anyway. It has to be because his ministry will be under more scrutiny now. We will find out whether he was just a huckster, regardless of his sincerity. Of course, he could always donate everything he owns to the Houston recovery.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:32 am

He has been in the news lately for his response to the Hurricane Harvey flood victims.

Published on Aug 29, 2017
Televangelist Joel Osteen has been accused of keeping his church closed for those seeking refuge after Hurricane Harvey. Ana Kasparian and Michael Shure, the hosts of The Young Turks, break it down. Tell us what you think in the comment section below. https://tytnetwork.com/join/

“In August 2017, just after Hurricane Harvey made landfall and inundated Houston with record rainfall and flooding, celebrity pastor Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church, which is based in the region, drew criticism for not making itself available to people affected by the storm.

On 27 August, the church posted:

Dear Houstonians! Lakewood Church is inaccessible due to severe flooding! We want to help make sure you are safe. Please see the list below for safe shelters around our city, and please share this with those in need!
A day later, a post on Lakewood’s blog read, in part:

Over the last couple of days, as the enormity of this storm was being realized, we have been working to organize relief efforts for the Houston area with our friend Franklin Graham and the disaster relief organization that he oversees, Samaritan’s Purse. Samaritan’s Purse has been, since it’s inception, organized to respond to situations just like Hurricane Harvey, and we are grateful to be able to partner with them to provide assistance to the Houston area.

We know the need is great. That much is clear. We do not yet know all the ways we can help.
The church reportedly seats more than 16,000 people.

Osteen, whose own Houston home is worth a reported $10.5 million, has not made any comments regarding possible flooding near the church. A map of the area surrounding the church shows it is under a flood advisory, but not a warning. (Houston police told us that they have no pending calls from the area.)”

Read more here: http://www.snopes.com/is-osteens-mega..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBZD7jDnBgc
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:08 am

O:) -puke- >:(
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:22 am

I'm not familiar with the peaching in this church, is this one of those where the faithful to float up to heaven while the sinners burn. If the faithful are like joel burning might be a better option
KEND
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:16 am

..."I think the religion and the money aspects have to be separated. I don't think churches should be tax exempt. I don't think there should be any profit at all. Believers need to pay for their own places of worship. (Jesus had no church, and some say he did ok). Btw, the current administration wants to allow churches to make political contributions. Think about it...

While I agree with money/religion separation,- in the real word, it is all the time opposite, if we don`t counting in some of mystics from the mountains or a deserts...
Of course, on the beginning it was different, but now religion it the tool as many - to make profit
Speakin` politics:
In Poland we have now two main parties: PO and PiS, both are >right catholic wing< supported by Church .
PO is more "open minded" while PiS can nicely fulfilled "squereheaded" name.
This is really nice way to became country ruled by Catholic Church.
You establish two "antagonistic" politically groups which simply switching Government developed in free election, ah, but of course...;)
Rest can simply shut up and HTFU!
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby chud on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:24 am

KEND wrote:This morning, while changing stations on tv I came across joel osteen, the controversial Houston preacher. I was expecting an 'old time religion' sermon but no, I saw a sleek bouffant haired presumably failed car salesman telling bible stories. No particular charisma, why is he so popular.

I have never been to his church and don't plan to, but I have seen him on TV and he has his own channel on Sirius-XM.

The reason he is popular is also the reason he is criticized:

His sermons are basically positive motivational talks, with just a little bit of scripture sprinkled in. This makes is easy for anyone to listen to him, but a lot of fundamentalists criticize him for being a theological lightweight and preaching the "prosperity gospel".

Regarding the Houston flooding, he says there was already a convention center nearby that had opened for shelter, and that his facility was being used as a distribution center, and he also claims that the first floor of his center where most of the room is has flooded before.
Regardless, he has taken a big hit from the whole thing and is being roasted by sarcastic memes on Facebook.
Last edited by chud on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:03 am

The fact is dude don't care and only opened his doors due to criticism. He is no Christian but in my experience very few lf these popular preachers are. I used to work in printing and would deal with these preachers all the time and they were usually the most miserable self-obsessed people you ever met.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 pm

We can't know what he might have done without the criticism or what he will do. We only know what he didn't do.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm

I thought the spiel sounded familiar. Tony Robbins born again as an inspiration for the masses.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 am

grzegorz wrote:The fact is dude don't care and only opened his doors due to criticism. He is no Christian but in my experience very few lf these popular preachers are. I used to work in printing and would deal with these preachers all the time and they were usually the most miserable self-obsessed people you ever met.

Of course they were not all like that but the ones who built their own church and ran it like a business were not the same one on one as they were when they were preaching.

I had a boss who was into this guy and to me it all goes back to Calvinist predestination, where God will step into the world and shower his chosen ones with blessings and riches. I supppse salvation was not enough to people though so they threw in being rich for those who don't want to wait.

I am a religious man by like the Jewish tradition I don't see the point in discussing an afterlife but rather focussing on this life
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby KEND on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:27 pm

An aside, all these monster hurricanes on trumps watch, is He/She trying to tell us something
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:14 pm

grzegorz wrote:[I supppse salvation was not enough to people through in being rich for those who don't want to wait.

The salvation thing most probably was/is a mechanism to keep the flock in line and thus more riches to the preachers - There is no such thing as salvation.....at least not for the preachers, no matter what religion 8-)
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:46 am

Trick wrote:
grzegorz wrote:[I supppse salvation was not enough to people though so they threw in being rich for those who don't want to wait.

The salvation thing most probably was/is a mechanism to keep the flock in line and thus more riches to the preachers - There is no such thing as salvation.....at least not for the preachers, no matter what religion 8-)

Fixed my typos.

This is how I have always seen it.

Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic