When the Mainstream Media’s Identity Politics Collapses

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

When the Mainstream Media’s Identity Politics Collapses

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:58 am

Was gonna post this in Greg's Political Humor thread, but since it might spark some discussion, I gave it its own thread.

Here are some examples of mainstream media cutting people off when their message was contrary to the divisive racial and identity politics that generates so much outrage over issues that should be on the back burner. Kind of funny, kind of WTf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqXdDROpI58

Also on Vid.me, the new alternaitve to censorship from Alphabet/Google/Youtube social justice thought policing.

https://vid.me/JNr4H
Last edited by Michael on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Re: When the Mainstream Media’s Identity Politics Collapses

Postby KEND on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 am

It appears to me that the commentator is committing the same errors as the 'media, producing a few individuals to prove a general point. I was not a supporter of Clinton, to me she was an instrument of the 'new world order' a world ruled by the IMF, the Fed etc, promoting corporations and making treaties that favored them, enabling the rich to get richer, supporting never ending wars. On the other hand we had the chaos of the Trump administration, bringing out the worst of republican ideas on how to screw the poor funnel that money from the programs to the rich and make us a 'godfearing' nation.
Both parties were hypocritical and self serving. The 'white guilt' and other PC dictates have been promoted by the left for a long time but appeared to have taken root in the universities and flowered in the media, whose sole purpose seems to be ratings[= money] at whatever cost to the populace, just as the 'real Americans' are promoted by the right. An Al Sharpton brings greater ratings[pro or con] than someone helping to restore his or her neighborhood, a slick preacher promising salvation more persuasive than a person who knows the day o day struggle to bring food to the table.
The possibility of someone bringing real social change a true equality seems remote in the present feverish atmosphere but one can only hope that the general public will eventually see through the smoke and mirrors and support an honest candidate instead of the posturing hollow men and women we have seen in the past
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:05 pm

That commentator is Dave Cullen from Ireland, who started with a technology channel mostly about computers, but gradually moved into a category of people who make a lot of response videos to the extremes of political correctness. I just started watching these about a year ago when Canada introduced bill C16 that was recently passed to include gender expression and gender identity into anti-hate speech laws, and since then youtube channels of those who criticize that kind of extreme speech restriction have had their videos youtube demonetized, Twitter accounts suspended, etc., all while their ideological opponents continue without the same problems.

To paraphrase Cullen and others like him with similar YT channels, the free market place of ideas is where society can figure out what they want to 'buy', so to speak, but if half the viewpoints are censored or crowded out by authorities who fail in terms of logical arguments, but have control over the means of expression, the bad ideas, such as the ones you mentioned, Ken, will just continue to be propagated.
Michael

Postby rob2 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Isn't all politics identity politics? Aren't politicians trying to encourage voters to identify with their policies, appealing to the beliefs that form voters' identities? Nationalism could be considered the broadest form of identity politics, perhaps especially in America where people are raised pledging allegiance to the flag every morning at school (or is this film/TV bullshit), and to be "a good American". What differentiates "a good American" from a good person?
People generally consume media that affirms their beliefs.
rob2
Anjing

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 pm

Nope, identity politics is when politicians, and the media, encourage a specific polity to support a policy based primarily on constitutents' unchangeable characteristics, such as race, sex, ethnicity, national origin, etc., instead of based on policies that are agnostic to those aspects of a person. Think MLK, Jr.'s judge a man based on a person's character and not the color of his skin.

Some policies are encouraged for economic benefits to one particular geographic area or group, perhaps to the detriment of another area or group, such as building another military base in Texas instead of Oklahome, but even this kind of discrimination does not hinge upon inherent personal features, which is probably the most divisive basis for forming policy.
Michael

Postby rob2 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:00 am

I think I'm looking at it from a wider perspective and not explaining myself well. I have never seen my identity in such narrow terms as just white british male.
rob2
Anjing

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:40 am

That's not nearly narrow enough, mate. You won't even qualify for the oppression olympics with that sorry entrance form. Needs to enhance victim status to qualify for this event.
Michael

Postby chud on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Good video Michael, thanks for sharing it.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:10 am

Cheers!
Michael

Return to Off the Topic