The man who saved the world

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The man who saved the world

Postby Dmitri on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:29 am

...and somehow I had no idea. :-[

Stanislav Petrov was a lieutenant colonel in the Soviet Union's Air Defense Forces, and his job was to monitor his country's satellite system, which was looking for any possible nuclear weapons launches by the United States.

He was on the overnight shift in the early morning hours of Sept. 26, 1983, when the computers sounded an alarm, indicating that the U.S. had launched five nuclear-armed intercontinental ballistic missiles.

"The siren howled, but I just sat there for a few seconds, staring at the big, back-lit, red screen with the word 'launch' on it," Petrov told the BBC in 2013.

It was already a moment of extreme tension in the Cold War. On Sept. 1 of that year, the Soviet Union shot down a Korean Air Lines plane that had drifted into Soviet air space, killing all 269 people on board, including a U.S. congressman. The episode led the U.S. and the Soviets to exchange warnings and threats.

Petrov had to act quickly. U.S. missiles could reach the Soviet Union in just over 20 minutes.

"There was no rule about how long we were allowed to think before we reported a strike," Petrov told the BBC. "But we knew that every second of procrastination took away valuable time, that the Soviet Union's military and political leadership needed to be informed without delay. All I had to do was to reach for the phone; to raise the direct line to our top commanders — but I couldn't move. I felt like I was sitting on a hot frying pan."

Petrov sensed something wasn't adding up.

He had been trained to expect an all-out nuclear assault from the U.S., so it seemed strange that the satellite system was detecting only a few missiles being launched. And the system itself was fairly new. He didn't completely trust it.

Arms control expert Jeffrey Lewis, recalled the episode on in an interview last December on NPR:

"[Petrov] just had this feeling in his gut that it wasn't right. It was five missiles. It didn't seem like enough. So even though by all of the protocols he had been trained to follow, he should absolutely have reported that up the chain of command and, you know, we should be talking about the great nuclear war of 1983 if any of us survived."
After several nerve-jangling minutes, Petrov didn't send the computer warning to his superiors. He checked to see if there had been a computer malfunction.

He had guessed correctly.

"Twenty-three minutes later I realized that nothing had happened," he said in 2013. "If there had been a real strike, then I would already know about it. It was such a relief."

That episode along with the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis are considered to be the closest the U.S. and the Soviets came to a nuclear exchange. And while the Cuban Missile Crisis has been widely examined, Petrov's actions have received relatively little attention.

Petrov died on May 19, at age 77, in a suburb outside Moscow, according to news reports Monday. He had long since retired and was living alone. News of his death apparently went unrecognized at the time.

Karl Schumacher, a German political activist who had highlighted Petrov's actions in recent years, tried to contact Petrov earlier this month to wish him a happy birthday. Instead, he reached Petrov's son, Dmitri, who said his father had died in May.

Petrov said he received an official reprimand for making mistakes in his logbook on Sept. 26, 1983.

His story was not publicized at the time, but it did emerge after the Soviet Union collapsed. He received a number of international awards during the final years of his life, and was sometimes called "the man who saved the world."

But he never considered himself a hero.

"That was my job," he said. "But they were lucky it was me on shift that night."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... dies-at-77
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: The man who saved the world

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 am

It's not surprising that it wouldn't be common knowledge in Russia, nor that it wasn't publicized widely in the U.S.. It wasn't the only "almost" during that time, by any means. Castro was going to use tactical nukes if the U.S. had decided to invade. But, Petrov was a brave man. Hope there's more like him everywhere.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:12 pm

It makes me feel good that this story gets told.

Simple human decency often has made for some interesting turns in human history.

I remember talking to some nuke officers in the late nineties who told me an story about a classified exercise where a bunch of silos were specifically ordered to fire their land based missiles in response to a simulated attack not knowing that they had been disabled earlier or that the attack was simulated.

Apparently only about half of them did.

I'm sure a lot of those guys got fired and I have no idea if the story was true or not. I was never a part of that community, so they may have just been bs'ing me.

But it is food for thought.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:16 am

Marines don't have nukes and two take-aways from my time in the USMC are that they were lawful, idealistic, impressionable people who, although taught to disobey "unlawful" orders, I'm sure would never question for even a moment any command to press the button. Maybe Air Force is different, but jarheads do what they're told.

That's my nice, round-a-bout way of saying maybe someone living in the USSR in 1983 who lived through a lifetime of absurd propaganda gradually proven 100% wrong, had no bread or anesthetic for a dentist visit and who saw the shit crumbling around him, maybe he was much more likely to hesitate the way Petrov did than someone today for whom reality is still what the Pentagon says it is, since they and their $700B budget pretty much control our perception of it.

So sorry, Peacedog, you were getting BS'd pretty hard if someone told you 50% of American service men in a silo disobeyed orders/procedure/whatever. There is no way in hell that happened. Whoever those guys were, today they're at the moment online searching for REAL TRUE clips of Russian hookers peeing on the president and believing Putin personally hacked the 2016 election from inside Lenin's tomb.

EDIT: The 1964 film Fail Safe is a much more accurate view of what would happen if an American were given orders to launch a nuclear attack. That's not meant to bash Americans, I just think the circumstances would be much more likely for them to believe what they were doing was right in that situation than someone at the very end of the time of the USSR.
Last edited by Michael on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby wiesiek on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:55 am

I don`t know how sitting in the silos guys are trained,
but
I `ve heard/read? story similar to what Peacedog posted.
It was the test, and 50% didn`t press the button...
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:32 am

Yeah it's almost like getting an order to shoot yourself... I can definitely believe the 50% thing. Doing intentional harm to millions of people, likely including yourself and possibly your family/loved ones, isn't easily programmed out of one's system, IMO.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby chud on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:18 pm

I was watching a documentary recently about the Cuban Missile Crisis, and apparently the Soviet Union had sent four subs to Cuba.
Two were stopped because they were low on air and an American warship parked directly over them, the other two made it and one of the Russian captains who was agitated was reaching for the button to fire his missiles but a junior officer stopped him and told him, "You can't do that".
Thank God for that young man.
chud
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic