martial arts movies?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

martial arts movies?

Postby Patrick on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:12 am

Hey there, can anyone here recommend some good modern martial arts movies?
Thanks.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Re: martial arts movies?

Postby cloudz on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:45 am

Kung Fu Hustle
Ip Man 1 and 2
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:06 am

This subject has often appeared in the past and I put together this list, the order is not important and it may appear excessive but here it is
The best martial arts movies
1. Seven Samurai[1954], the classic by Kurosawa[inspiration for ‘the magnificent 7]
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon [2000], Ang Lee masterpiece
3. Yojimbo [1961], another Kurosawa movie [inspiration for Sergio Leone westerns]
4. Enter the Dragon[1973], dir. Robert Clouse, Bruce Lee becomes a superstar
5. Come Drink with me[1966], early Shaw Bros, heroine is villainess in CTHD
6. Samurai Trilogy 3[1956], dir. Inagaki, Story of Musachi with final duel.
7. Om Bak[2005] Tony Jaa introduced a new athleticism to the genre
8. Once upon a time in China[1991], dir. Tsui Hark, Jet Lee’s best movie
9. Hero[2002], dir. Zhang Yimou, with Jet Lee and Donnie Yuen, superb cinematography.
10. Zatoichi Challenged[1970], dir Misumi, best of many of his movies.
11. One armed Swordsman[1967], dir. Chang Che, Wang Yu, top star in Hong Kong
12. Heroes of the East[1978], dir. Lau Kar-Leung, Gordon Liu shows his versatility
13. The Raid[2012], dir. Gareth Evans, highlights Indonesian martial arts, non stop action.
14. Shogun Assassin[1980], dir. Robert Houston, first of ‘pushcart ‘ series
15. The Streetfighter[1974], dir. Ozawa, No list is complete without the ultimate antihero Sonny Chiba
16. Dragon[2011], dir. Peter Chan, Excellent work by Donnie Yen
17. Billy Jack[1971], dir. Tom Laughlin, a favorite of early martial artists in the West.
18. Mad Monkey Kung Fu[1979], dir. Chia Liang Liu, great techniques
19. Prodigal Son[191981], dir. Sammo Hung, Good storyline, excellent technique.
20. House of the Flying Daggers[2004], dir. Zhang Yimou, worth seeing for the ‘Echo Game’
21. Ip Man[2008], dir. Wilson Yip, A Donnie Yen showpiece, for me a little underwhelming
22. The Bourne Identity[2002], dir. Doug Liman. Well acted, some excellent fight scenes
23. You Only Live Twice[1967], dir. Lewis Gilbert, Early Bond movie, the call for extras emptied the dojos in Tokyo, some authentic martial arts.
24. A Touch of Zen[1971], dir. King Hu, one of the better movies of the period
25. The Brave Archer[1977], dir. Cheh Chang, starred Alexander Fu Sheng, a superstar in the genre, who unfortunately died young.
26. Kill Bill[2003] dir. Quentin Tarrantino, Highly entertaining, some decent martial arts but as usual derivative, cameos by Gordon Liu and Sonny Chiba
27. Lady Snowblood[1973], dir. Toshiya Fujita, inspiration for Kill Bill, better swordwork
28. Dragon Inn[1967], dir. King Hu, classic wuxia
29. Hapkido[1972], dir .Huang Feng, Angela Mao showing off her kicks
30. Drunken Master[1978] dir. Woo Ping Yuen, Jackie Chan at his best
31. Legend of a fighter[1982] , dir. Woo Ping Yuen, Good plot line, some ‘lost track’ footage
32. Zu Warriors from Magic Mountain[1983], dir. Tsui Hark Great fantasy wuxia movie
33. The Bride with White Hair[1993], dir. Ronnie Yu, Classic wuxia starring Brigitte Lin
34. The Water Margin[1972], dir Chang Cheh, classic book, stars David Chiang, Ti Lung
The Flying Guillotine[1975], dir. Meng Hua Ho, based on real weapon, gory story
KEND
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Man of Tai Chi (2013)

Record-Audio, Inc
Published on Aug 26, 2016

Man of Tai Chi is a 2013 Chinese-American martial arts film directed by and starring Keanu Reeves in his directorial debut, and co-stars Tiger Chen, Iko Uwais, Karen Mok and Simon Yam.[3][4][5] Man of Tai Chi is a multilingual narrative, partly inspired by the life of Reeves' friend, stuntman Tiger Chen.

Tiger Chen is the sole student of his elderly master's Ling Kong Tai Chi style. While Tiger excels in the physical aspects of his training, Master Yang struggles to instill in Tiger the philosophical aspects, and fears for his character. Tiger harbors a determined ambition to prove the martial effectiveness of the style, as he competes in the local Wulin (武林) contest. In the meantime, HKPD officer Sun-Jing Shi has been leading an investigation into Security System Alliance (SSA), a private security firm owned by the mysterious Donaka Mark. Suspected of hosting an illegal fighting operation, Sun-Jing turns one of Donaka's fighters into a mole, but he is discovered and personally killed by Donaka. Despite the setbacks, Sun-Jing wants to continue investigating, but without any evidence Superintendent Wong has the case closed. Believing the evidence would eventually come through, Sun-Jing secretly continues investigating Donaka and things change with Tiger's involvement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R079BEcM3fI
marvin8
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:02 am

I have been watching more Japanese MA movies recently and the observation is that skill is more training, intuitive awareness, physical conditioning, etc while CMA is seen more as qi inspired though Japanese use of "qi" is more of what you do in the training regimen.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:59 am

Fearless
Jet Li, 2006
A biography of Chinese Martial Arts Master Huo Yuanjia, who is the founder and spiritual guru of the Jin Wu Sports Federation.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446059/
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:03 am

marvin8 wrote:Man of Tai Chi (2013)

Record-Audio, Inc

Man of Tai Chi is a 2013 Chinese-American martial arts film directed by and starring Keanu Reeves in his directorial debut, and co-stars Tiger Chen, Iko Uwais, Karen Mok and Simon Yam.[3][4][5] Man of Tai Chi is a multilingual narrative, partly inspired by the life of Reeves' friend, stuntman Tiger Chen.

Tiger Chen is the sole student of his elderly master's Ling Kong Tai Chi style. While Tiger excels in the physical aspects of his training, Master Yang struggles to instill in Tiger the philosophical aspects, and fears for his character. Tiger harbors a determined ambition to prove the martial effectiveness of the style, as he competes in the local Wulin (武林) contest. In the meantime, HKPD officer Sun-Jing Shi has been leading an investigation into Security System Alliance (SSA), a private security firm owned by the mysterious Donaka Mark. Suspected of hosting an illegal fighting operation, Sun-Jing turns one of Donaka's fighters into a mole, but he is discovered and personally killed by Donaka. Despite the setbacks, Sun-Jing wants to continue investigating, but without any evidence Superintendent Wong has the case closed. Believing the evidence would eventually come through, Sun-Jing secretly continues investigating Donaka and things change with Tiger's involvement:

This wasn't too bad actually. Better than tai chi zero anyway..
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:53 am

Modern ones? You mean 2000 and forward?

Hero (Zhang Yimou)
The Grandmaster (Wong Karwai)
Red Cliff 1+2 (John Woo)
The Banquet (aka Curse of the Black Scorpion)
Warlords (Peter Chan)
Seven Swords (Tsui Hark)
Twilight Samurai
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:01 am

cloudz wrote:
marvin8 wrote:Man of Tai Chi (2013)

Record-Audio, Inc

This wasn't too bad actually. Better than tai chi zero anyway..

Hmmm . . . Not sure what movie that was, never saw that. It didn't look like much tai chi moves in that one.

Here is the Man of Tai Chi (2013) I meant. I believe this one is even better:

https://putlocker.sk/watch/man-of-tai-chi.75m1/5ykw50
Last edited by marvin8 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 am

??? It's the same movie.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 am

Danny the Dog, aka Unleashed - Jet Li, 2005
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 am

Bao wrote:??? It's the same movie.

No, they are not. I think the youtube one was titled wrong? IMO, the second one is better and more recent:
marvin8 wrote:Here is the Man of Tai Chi (2013) I meant. I believe this one is even better:

https://putlocker.sk/watch/man-of-tai-chi.75m1/5ykw50
Last edited by marvin8 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 am

Oh, didn’t take a look at it. Yes, the user have published “Kung Fu Man”, not Man of Tai Chi. Both suck pretty good... :P
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks, I know most of these. I meant like 2015/16/17 ;D
I am looking for movies with atmosphere, a meditative quality, some attempt at the philosophy behind martial arts or that are at least stylish.
I think the last good movies in that vein where the Kenshin movies.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Ok, a movie older than 2015 is not modern, I get it... Not many good MA movies the three most recent years. Maybe entertaining, but not very good. The Grandmaster is very good, but almost four years old, so that doesn't count I guess... ;) Bit you can check Sword Master, The Body Guard, Call of Heroes, League of Gods and Boyka: Undisputed IV. Maybe you would enjoy one or tow of them? ???
Last edited by Bao on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic