Creating a plan for healthy living

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Creating a plan for healthy living

Postby willie on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm

The video says it all.
I will say this though, There were a few individuals on this site that opposed me on my
weightlifting and nutrition thread, "which is fine with me, it's their life".

I would prefer be be humble and learn from anyone in any area, who truly possesses something good.
Last edited by willie on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Re: Creating a plan for healthy living

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:57 am

I thoroughly agree with you Willie. I just went to the funeral of one of my oldest friends. He was only 67 years old. He had retired a few years ago, but had no "blueprint for life" after retirement, so he simply sat at home, or at a bar, and drank himself to death. I thought why doesn't that happen to me, as a like to drink too, and the reason dawned on me that I am too damned busy following my blueprint for life. If you don't have one then you are in a world of shit that can lead to depression and addiction and an early death.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby willie on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:12 am

Ron Panunto wrote:I thoroughly agree with you Willie. I just went to the funeral of one of my oldest friends. He was only 67 years old. He had retired a few years ago, but had no "blueprint for life" after retirement, so he simply sat at home, or at a bar, and drank himself to death. I thought why doesn't that happen to me, as a like to drink too, and the reason dawned on me that I am too damned busy following my blueprint for life. If you don't have one then you are in a world of shit that can lead to depression and addiction and an early death.

Now that is a 100% reliable post. I don't drink very often so I don't see myself in the bars. I'm kind of surprised that people are so easily led to believe things that are untrue, especially in Chinese martial arts. The weak defeating the strong is only a theory it is not meant to teach people to actually become weaker. Some of the people that opposed me on the weight lifting part of my lifestyle are going to be shocked to find out that when they are injured and have to go see a doctor the doctor himself will tell them to go to therapy and when they get there they will find resistance training machines
willie

Postby BruceP on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 pm

My take, eliminate effort and don't try to 'get' something out of an activity. Just do lots of stuff you love doing and don't expect 'results' or any one else to dig it.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 pm

(this is not about the OP video -- haven't watched (yet?) -- this is just on the subject of creating plans and some of the above comments)

Everybody's gonna do what they're gonna do. (I know it doesn't sound like much, but to me that is actually profound.) There are only patterns one can follow (or not) that may match those of other people (or not). Any advice or suggestions about what's "better" for others, or saying that someone was "unhappy because of ...", or that someone is "wasting their life", or wondering "why did he kill himself?!" or, even worse, accusing someone of killing themselves, or suggesting they improve their diet, start exercising, etc. to "improve their life" -- all of that is mostly just meaningless talk, likely designed (consciously or otherwise) to make oneself (and/or others) feel better, and/or appear to others in a better light. 99% of the time it bears no value whatsoever to the people at which it is directed. Thou shalt not judge and all that. [/rant] :)

It's perfectly human, of course, to think "I've got it right!" -- it just doesn't mean others got it wrong. The others think using very, very similar patterns.

Happiness is as personal(ized) a thing as it gets. You can be just as happy doing all the wrong things, as you can be unhappy doing all the right ones. :)
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:22 pm

BruceP wrote:My take, eliminate effort and don't try to 'get' something out of an activity. Just do lots of stuff you love doing and don't expect 'results' or any one else to dig it.

Interesting post.
I had to vacuum and mop the floor in the great room today, It took a lot of effort.
I have vines growing up the side of my home that I need to cut down before they interfere with the power-lines, It will take a lot of effort.
I went to a taiji masters home "yang style". No one does the dishes, they are stacked up all over the place. Too much effort...?
Picking up that piece of trash on the floor? hell no, takes too much effort.
This is when you know for sure that incorrect influences have set in.

Went for a ride on my ten speed with my girl friend, takes a lot of effort.
Had the best time too...
Last edited by willie on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby willie on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Dmitri wrote:(this is not about the OP video -- haven't watched (yet?) -- this is just on the subject of creating plans and some of the above comments)

Everybody's gonna do what they're gonna do. (I know it doesn't sound like much, but to me that is actually profound.) There are only patterns one can follow (or not) that may match those of other people (or not). Any advice or suggestions about what's "better" for others, or saying that someone was "unhappy because of ...", or that someone is "wasting their life", or wondering "why did he kill himself?!" or, even worse, accusing someone of killing themselves, or suggesting they improve their diet, start exercising, etc. to "improve their life" -- all of that is mostly just meaningless talk, likely designed (consciously or otherwise) to make oneself (and/or others) feel better, and/or appear to others in a better light. 99% of the time it bears no value whatsoever to the people at which it is directed. Thou shalt not judge and all that. [/rant] :)

It's perfectly human, of course, to think "I've got it right!" -- it just doesn't mean others got it wrong. The others think using very, very similar patterns.

Happiness is as personal(ized) a thing as it gets. You can be just as happy doing all the wrong things, as you can be unhappy doing all the right ones. :)

This post is pretty good, But it travels into the darker side of humans far to much.
I prefer to try and stay positive instead.
Fact is, like it or not. You are getting judged and so is everyone else.
An auto mechanic walks in a coffee shop all dirty from working overtime. There are two cops in starbucks and one cop says to the other look at this guy, remarking
about how dirty he is. Something to consider?

Do you really feel that a fat girl will have the same level of attention as a slimmer girl?
In most cases, No.
In-fact that's when other guys get caught by their girlfriends looking...How do you think that would feel to them?

I don't really need to diet much but I'm always looking for better ways to improve my life.
Last edited by willie on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Dmitri on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:20 pm

willie wrote:I'm always looking for better ways to improve my life.

...as is everybody else, and those ways may be very different for others.
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:03 am

willie wrote:
Interesting post.
I had to vacuum and mop the floor in the great room today, It took a lot of effort.
I have vines growing up the side of my home that I need to cut down before they interfere with the power-lines, It will take a lot of effort.
I went to a taiji masters home "yang style". No one does the dishes, they are stacked up all over the place. Too much effort...?
Picking up that piece of trash on the floor? hell no, takes too much effort.
This is when you know for sure that incorrect influences have set in.

Went for a ride on my ten speed with my girl friend, takes a lot of effort.
Had the best time too...

No. Willie. That isn't the kind of effort I was meaning.

I could only watch about 40 seconds of your video before I had to turn it off. The effort you show and the accompanying text looks like the rear-guard of validation. That's the kind of effort I was referencing. Kinda like what Dmitri wrote about.

What you wrote about riding bikes with your girl is what I was getting at.

AFA hard work goes, a person can do a lot of strenuous physical activity without effort if they always shoot for nothing.
Last edited by BruceP on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:42 am

Well, what makes us all equal is a limited, and uncertain, lifetime. And, even if you think you've got it worked out, life can change.

I agree that having a reason to live is crucial. Being content with oneself and life can be even more important to the outcome. Retirement decay in one's sixties? How about having a debilitating disease in one's 30s?

At any rate, I tell all my students that they should never take a course they don't want to take. That way, they'll inevitably do as well as they can and be happier for it. They'll also be more successful, and if they do it for a living, it'll be like working for free. The same attitude can be applied to sports. If lifting makes you happy, it's the right thing for you.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby willie on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:34 am

BruceP wrote:
willie wrote:

No. Willie. That isn't the kind of effort I was meaning.

I could only watch about 40 seconds of your video before I had to turn it off. The effort you show and the accompanying text looks like the rear-guard of validation. That's the kind of effort I was referencing. Kinda like what Dmitri wrote about.

i'm sorry that my video was so terribly boring to you...
But Dmitri's writing, LOL!
What Dimitri was writing appears just to be a hate trip. It automatically assumes that everyone has bad intentions of some kind. When in fact they might just be more sociable.

What could you possibly admire about this take on life?
or suggesting they improve their diet, start exercising, etc. to "improve their life" -- all of that is mostly just meaningless talk, likely designed (consciously or otherwise) to make oneself (and/or others) feel better, and/or appear to others in a better light. 99% of the time it bears no value whatsoever to the people at which it is directed.

It's a dark colored tinted viewing glass that see's the more unpleasant things in life, don't you think?

I've actually got a lot of help by other people adjusting my own diet. If I took this type on position then i wouldn't have made any improvements at all.
Last edited by willie on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby willie on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:43 am

;D
Last edited by willie on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby marvin8 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:45 am

I would not call a powerlifting program where one does lockouts (a very small range of motion not a full bench press) for 30 days in order to maximize the most weight one can “lockout,” a well-rounded “plan for healthy living.” Also, most people do not have the skill, resources and desire to engineer, go to a shop, weld and make their own weightlifting equipment.

IMO, I don’t see how the information in the video helps many people in “Creating a plan for healthy living.”
marvin8
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:29 am

marvin8 wrote:I would not call a powerlifting program where one does lockouts (a very small range of motion not a full bench press) for 30 days in order to maximize the most weight one can “lockout,” a well-rounded “plan for healthy living.” Also, most people do not have the skill, resources and desire to engineer, go to a shop, weld and make their own weightlifting equipment.

IMO, I don’t see how the information in the video helps many people in “Creating a plan for healthy living.”

Hi Marvin. I got that idea of working partials from a world-class powerlifter. So I thought the information might be useful to others. Also the video has nothing to do with my resources versus somebody else's resources. Everyone has what is called a circle of influence it is important to expand that Circle and make plans. I got the idea of creating a blueprint for my life from my first employer. So I thought that maybe I would share that because it worked well for me. Anyways have a nice day and thank you for your kind attention.
willie

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Look at the Matrix system from Newcastle uni(Australia)
I played with for a bit but found it a bit complicated
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic