Pa kua

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Pa kua

Postby .Q. on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 pm

I've seen a lot of weird stuff but it's the first time I've seen Pa Kua nunchakus and archery.

.Q.
Wuji

Re: Pa kua

Postby wiesiek on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:42 am

-faint- wow, guys , you have US National Pakua now, I`m impress ...
you may add nunchaku to personal Pakua if you like, :)
but
empty hands form here, looks like simply shitty karate stuff.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:36 am

The mere quantity of the gathering dilutes the utilitarian pakua main training and conditioning agenda!
The venue is nice, the social aspect and feel good atmosphere is psychologically positive so it benefits good vibes! Why not but at least call it something other that Pakua ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 am

Yes, you can sell any name and any content with a japanese packaging... :P

...... -loco- ......
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:24 pm

From the homepage:

TAI-CHI COSMO-DYNAMICS

For millions of years, man has observed the heavens and seasonal changes, looking for a better understanding of the world around us.

..., with the advent of technology, man has forgotten this relationship, which has resulted in an imbalance in our lives and environment.

It is therefore essential for us to return to the ancient knowledge of Cosmodynamics, also known as Pakua Tai Chi, where students learn to live in sync with the Universe, as well as improve their inner strength and balance. ...

:o ... ;D
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 am

nice black&white uniforms
definitely encompassing yin and yang duo in Unity of the Universe !
U.o.t.U. rulez -punchballs-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:47 am

Nice looking people, but they are being completely defrauded. This is what happens when we don't call BS on places and groups like this.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby .Q. on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Wow, they registered Pakua.com and they showed the signature deer horn blades, so they are claiming to do actual Bagua. Sigh.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby northern_mantis on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:03 am

I learnt a system that was largely "made up" but it was good so I stuck with it even with suspect origins. Unfortunately this doesn't look so good. It's a shame it's not something more benign than martial arts so they could just carry on with some harmless dress up and arm waving.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby windwalker on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:30 am

northern_mantis wrote:I learnt a system that was largely "made up" but it was good so I stuck with it even with suspect origins. Unfortunately this doesn't look so good. It's a shame it's not something more benign than martial arts so they could just carry on with some harmless dress up and arm waving.

All systems have been made up.

The real question might be what does one represent it as.
Many practice what is called taiji, questioned by those who also practice taiji.

Unless its a family style with a linage for the most part it matters little what one calls it.
Were people might get into trouble is not understanding what they'er practicing and not questioning it.

The Pa-Kua International League is an educational institution founded by the late Master Rogelio Magliacano in 1976. It started in Argentina and expanded to Brazil, the United States, Uruguay, Peru, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland, England, Italy and Israel.

Today, thousands of students enjoy the studies offered by the League and improve their quality of life through the practice of Pa-Kua. In 2006 the founding Master left the institution in the charge of Master Nicolas Dario Moyano, who since then directs it with the assistance of Master Fernando Martin Sandri.
http://www.pakua.com/liga-internacional/?lang=en

It seems like a successful commercial enterprise.

The technical aspect of Pa-Kua Martial Art includes circular movements and the use of an opponent’s strength against himself. A strong emphasis is placed on physical and mental balance, expressed through movements that are both fluid and rigid, strong as well as slow, dictated by the needs of a particular situation. Students learn different aspects of the Martial Art at each belt level, leading them toward a full confidence in their personal skills and abilities upon reaching each successive level and finally the coveted level of Pakua Black Belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJlbaSQ ... e=youtu.be

Just looking at the clip it reminds me very much of hapkido
not a lot of history presented about Master Rogelio Magliacano
it would interesting to know his back ground.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:37 am

windwalker wrote:The real question might be what does one represent it as.
Many practice what is called taiji, questioned by those who also practice taiji.

Unless its a family style with a linage for the most part it matters little what one calls it.
Were people might get into trouble is not understanding what they'er practicing and not questioning it.

I can accept that people add certain attributes so they can sell something. Belts, uniforms, grades and people standing in perfect lines are things that many expect from traditional martial arts. I can accept that even for Bagua. Here in Sweden, every pizza restaurant is served with something we call “pizza salad” a cabbage salad. It has nothing to do with Italy, it’s from Germany, but it has become so much associated with Pizza so everyone would think it would be strange to go to a pizza place where that is not served. In some countries, no one would take any traditional martial art seriously if the practitioners didn’t use Japanese dresses. This was more or less the case here as well 40+ years ago. Kung Fu movies were called Karate movies. Karate was not only a name for a certain style, but people used it for Asian Martial arts in general.

But still, if it looks like a duck, act as a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. But if it looks like a dog, act as a dog and barks like a dog, well... don’t come to me and say that it’s a duck. People who have never seen a duck before might believe. Anyone who has seen a duck won’t.

Pulling of a big scam like this is remarkable and in some humorous way admirable. But it’s also being a Pinocchio or an emperor in new clothes. Anyone with eyes and a certain amount of intelligence can see that the dog is no duck, how much ever someone preach and make claims for the opposite. I always feel sad for this kind of people as the students in these clips, people who are not smart enough to use their brains for what it’s made for: thinking, figuring things out, being critical, understand for your self what you do. But that’s just like what’s happening in religious groups and sects all over the world. So many people decide for themselves that a dog is a duck, just because someone says so. >:(
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:57 am

Bao wrote:
But still, if it looks like a duck, act as a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. But if it looks like a dog, act as a dog and barks like a dog, well... don’t come to me and say that it’s a duck. People who have never seen a duck before might believe. Anyone who has seen a duck won’t.

I found it interesting just from the posting, it would be nice to know a little more of the history to understand it from their point of view.
What ever one thinks of it, they do seem to be pretty big and successful.

As to what it is, or is supposed to be I leave that to others.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:14 am

windwalker wrote:
Bao wrote:

I found it interesting just from the posting, it would be nice to know a little more of the history to understand it from their point of view.
What ever one thinks of it, they do seem to be pretty big and successful.

As to what it is, or is supposed to be I leave that to others.

The biggest "kung fu" association here is home-made karate, basically taken from Korean "karate", a style that the creator calls "Five animal shaolin". The problem about the history of this "style" is that it keeps changing from year to year. :-\ ;)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby northern_mantis on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:16 am

Just to play devils advocate....Maybe if people like this were to come out and say I learnt a bit of karate then just ran with it, judge it on it's own merits, they wouldn't get a particularly warm reception from the MA community. Perhaps they feel that they need to invent a lineage to satisfy the lineage obsessed.

To paraphrase Master Wong....'Who's my teacher? None of your Mother F****in business!'
Last edited by northern_mantis on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby Trick on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:23 am

The worst or maybe funniest I seen live was at an martial arts demo in my 'Swedish' hometown. A couple of demonstrators who claimed to do Shaolin Gong fu. Dressed in some home made monk looking robes and Nike/adidas jogging/running shoes performing some Heian,Bassai-dai Kata's (karate forms) seriously bad, trying to whirl "staffs" in a gongfuei way, the staffs where those orange marker staffs put along country/high ways in wintertime...crazy
Trick

Next

Return to Off the Topic