So what's up with MSG?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

So what's up with MSG?

Postby grzegorz on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Good or bad?
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: So what's up with MSG?

Postby everything on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:57 pm

don't know, but very generally, processed food and refined sugar = bad.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:41 pm

From Wikipedia on Monosodium glutamate: "If MSG is a problem, why doesn't everyone in China have a headache?"
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:29 pm

I had some today in some spicy Chinese peanuts and I could my tongue felt weird afterwards so I checked and sure enough MSG.

Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 pm

grzegorz wrote:I had some today in some spicy Chinese peanuts and I could my tongue felt weird afterwards so I checked and sure enough MSG.

I regularly enjoy eating those spicy Chinese Peanuts, no side effects(I think) so far. But after I moved to China I found out I get some minor allergy symptoms when eating Cashew and Walnuts
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:39 am

Having not had MSG for ages I definitely noticed a lot of strange sensations from it. I didn't enjoy it but I did recognize it. I don't know why they don't just use salt and pepper instead.

I knew a man with glaucoma who swore that MSG gave him a bunch of allergic reactions.

I have someone in my family with nut allergies. Those are tricky since most people don't really understand how dangerous it can be.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:53 am

grzegorz wrote:Having not had MSG for ages I definitely noticed a lot of strange sensations from it. I didn't enjoy it but I did recognize it. I don't know why they don't just use salt and pepper instead.

I like Chinese food very much, but way too often here in China restaurants "spice" up the food too spicy, too salty, too sweet for my Swedish taste buds, although I enjoy the very spicy "Sichuan-spicy" taste
Trick

Postby middleway on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:51 am

I had some today in some spicy Chinese peanuts and I could my tongue felt weird afterwards so I checked and sure enough MSG.

Bear in mind that Peanuts are one of the most allergenic foods in the world. It could be a very mild, recently developed peanut allergy.

Allergies can appear out of no where. A Friend of mine was a sea food maniac, then one day BOOM, eating some shimp closed up his throat and made his lips and face swell. He assumed it was something in the sauce ... next time he had some shrimp, same reaction. This was in his mid 30's.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:33 am

MSG is dissolving membranes of the taste cells ,
this force our taste sense stronger reaction.
Additionally our bodes has tendency for MSG accumulations .
Doc`s from our site may adds some info, what kind of damage it may cost.
Last edited by wiesiek on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:58 pm

middleway wrote:

Bear in mind that Peanuts are one of the most allergenic foods in the world. It could be a very mild, recently developed peanut allergy.

Allergies can appear out of no where. A Friend of mine was a sea food maniac, then one day BOOM, eating some shimp closed up his throat and made his lips and face swell. He assumed it was something in the sauce ... next time he had some shrimp, same reaction. This was in his mid 30's.

I hear you. I once swallowed a bunch of peanut dust on the bottom of a jar and I am not surprised that people can have an allergic reaction to them. I was fine but I feel that the body has to react to them, which is does and for those with allergies it is an over-reaction.

In this case though what I was feeling is what doctors have noticed eating food with msg.

I have also had seafood allergies for a period in my life and if I eat shell fish daily it will sometimes come back.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 pm

wiesiek wrote:MSG is dissolving membranes of the taste cells ,
this force our taste sense stronger reaction.
Additionally our bodes has tendency for MSG accumulations .
Doc`s from our site may adds some info, what kind of damage it may cost.

Yes, that is what I was reading. I am going to be sure to avoid foods packaged with MSG.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Orpheus on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:14 am

grzegorz wrote:I had some today in some spicy Chinese peanuts and I could my tongue felt weird afterwards so I checked and sure enough MSG.

That strange feeling on your tongue is the numbing sensation of 花椒 (known as prickly ash in English). Represented by the 麻 character on your bag. Common in Sichuan cooking, particularly when paired with spicy flavors. MSG may be bad, but it probably isn't the tongue sensation thing.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby grzegorz on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Trick wrote:
grzegorz wrote:Having not had MSG for ages I definitely noticed a lot of strange sensations from it. I didn't enjoy it but I did recognize it. I don't know why they don't just use salt and pepper instead.

I like Chinese food very much, but way too often here in China restaurants "spice" up the food too spicy, too salty, too sweet for my Swedish taste buds, although I enjoy the very spicy "Sichuan-spicy" taste

It's interesting, whenever Chinese food goes to another country the food changes and adapts to the new culture. Here you can find both American Cantonese style Chinese food and authentic Chinese food.

Sichuan is one of my all time favorites too.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Orpheus wrote:

That strange feeling on your tongue is the numbing sensation of 花椒 (known as prickly ash in English). Represented by the 麻 character on your bag. Common in Sichuan cooking, particularly when paired with spicy flavors. MSG may be bad, but it probably isn't the tongue sensation thing.

Thanks, I love those spices. I can't throw the peanuts but I tried. Yeah they use them everywhere in Southern style cooking. I think I will try to buy them separately and make my own spicy peanuts.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:38 am

funny thing, G.,
my MSG "knowledge" is from the end of `70,
when I was in N.Y around 80` all or Chinese kitchens has >NO MSG< sign printed up front of the menus!
Now after 40 years, we have undercover MSG slight return, or something? ???
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic