Magic mushrooms

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Magic mushrooms

Postby KEND on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:30 am

A study on magic mushrooms. I shows the therapeutic effect. Among indigenous people[ I believe that is the latest in phrase] the tipi ceremony has long been a healing therapy, but I fear that once big pharma latches onto it and puts it into a pill, that without the necessary ritual and shamanic presence it could cause more mental breakdowns than it cures

Magic Mushrooms Could ‘Reset’ The Brain Of People With Depression
Patients described feeling like a computer that had ‘rebooted’.
13/10/2017 11:59
Scientists have discovered that psilocybin - the psychoactive substance found in magic mushrooms - could effectively ‘reset’ the brain activity of people with severe depression.
The small study by researchers at Imperial College found that when given to patients in whom conventional treatments had failed, the substance was able to have a positive long-lasting effect.
In fact, some five weeks after having administered the compound the researchers found they still had significantly reduced symptoms.
The researchers believe that psilocybin is able to effectively reset the activity of key brain circuits that are known to play a key role in depression.
In speaking to the patients after their treatment, Dr Robin Carhart-Harris, Head of Psychedelic Research at Imperial, who led the study, said:
“Several of our patients described feeling ‘reset’ after the treatment and often used computer analogies. For example, one said he felt like his brain had been ‘defragged’ like a computer hard drive, and another said he felt ‘rebooted’.
“Psilocybin may be giving these individuals the temporary ‘kick start’ they need to break out of their depressive states and these imaging results do tentatively support a ‘reset’ analogy. Similar brain effects to these have been seen with electroconvulsive therapy.”
While researchers have been testing the effectiveness of psychedelic drugs to combat depression and addiction before, this is the first time that psilocybin has been used in this way.
In the study, 20 patients who had treatment-resistant depression were given two doses of the drug with an initial large dose administered and then a smaller one a week later.
Using functional MRI scanning the researchers found that the effects were profound. Not only was there reduced blood flow in the amygdala - a region of the brain that processes emotional responses - but also increased stability in another region of the brain that had previously been linked to depression.
While the results from the study are promising, Dr Carhart-Harris remains cautious pointing out that this is very early on in the testing phase and that the study was very small.
Professor David Nutt, Edmond J. Safra, senior author of the paper adds: “Larger studies are needed to see if this positive effect can be reproduced in more patients. But these initial findings are exciting and provide another treatment avenue to explore.”
KEND
Great Old One

Re: Magic mushrooms

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:41 am

They say that if you see mushrooms growing then all mushrooms can grow there. Mushrooms grow in my garden so I got some spores and I am attempting to grow Morello mushrooms to eat, which can sell for a $100 to $300 a pound, but I plan eating them and not selling them.

If someone is interested in psychedelics then it should not be too difficult to grow this time of the year.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby KEND on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:16 pm

I think they are still illegal unless you are using them in a legit ceremony. The tribal members bring them in from mexico.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:33 pm

100% illegal in the U.S.. True, certain indigenous peoples are able to use them as part of their traditional religious ceremonies. But, not all; and those that are are only allowed to use them on native lands. Er, "legally," that is. There are more than 250 recognized Indian nations in the lower 48. There are over 200 in Alaska, but iinm neither psilocybin or ayuahasca, etc., are legal there. ... Of course, that don't mean that they don't use it.:)

Ime, it's a pretty safe high, and not as messy as other ingested hallucinogens. I've used it, but it isn't really a recreational drug, and it's not addictive.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:49 pm

Once, "my friend" ate some of these at a Grateful Dead concert.

Everything suddenly looked so sharp, almost cartoon like, and very funny. Er, to my friend.

Was very "clean", no weird side effect, no bad trip. So my friend isn't really sure why this wouldn't be good recreationally.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby KEND on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Not recommended as a recreational drug, can cause paranoia under wrong conditions. More rare in ceremonies which are more tightly controlled, although sometimes even seasoned users can throw up
KEND
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm

ImageImage
jimmy
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:47 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:29 pm

KEND wrote:Not recommended as a recreational drug, can cause paranoia under wrong conditions. More rare in ceremonies which are more tightly controlled, although sometimes even seasoned users can throw up

I agree that it should be done with caution. I have witnessed people having bad trips on psychadelics and it is beyond horrible. Once I gave someone sleeping pills to get them drowsy so they would calm down, they started hitting friends so it was time for exteme measures. They did calm down but they were still freaking out and were convinced that they were dying. Then again I suppose we are all dying so perhaps the trip was accurate.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby KEND on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 am

Entering an altered state of consciousness can be scary, even for those who are frequent users. Not long ago I had to 'bring down' a friend who had no experience of drugs. He was hallucinating on painkillers.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:48 am

I've done them a number of times. I prefer LSD because it has fewer gastrointestinal side effects and I can have a little alcohol without worrying about puking all over myself.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 am

London Real
Published on Aug 27, 2013

UFC Mixed Martial Artist Dan Hardy gives us in depth details of his experiences with the psychedelics ayahuasca and psilocybin, explaining his philosophy behind their use and specifics about his rituals around it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTcLHNPcL2w
marvin8
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:38 pm

grzegorz wrote:Image

This research isn't new. Originally LSD was being tested for "potential benefits in the treatment of alcoholism, drug addiction, and other mental illnesses."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpSLjdPiSH8
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 pm

I am watching above and it is a little slow but very well done.

They said they did experiments on the military but after the troops did it they no longer wanted to fight. LOL! Having been in the military it makes perfect sense to me.

Having turned on decades ago what I got from it was understanding that my life becomes what my internal thoughts become and I have been trying to learn how to direct those inner thoughts ever since which has taken decades and is still a work in progress.

Saying that I don't believe it is the path for everyone and less is more. I don't do it now because although it would be a kick I wouldn't likely gain much and I don't think it is good for the body (and since I have kids I wouldn't do it again.) In the end it is a tool but it does come with some risks and there are other tools available.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 am

The closest I have come to magic mushrooms is the pendant I wear depicting a Lingzhi mushroom. This mushroom is referred to the "elexir of life" giving immortality....not the depiction of it that is...but if consumed....That would be some magic.
Trick

Next

Return to Off the Topic