Welcome to the US

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Welcome to the US

Postby KEND on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:46 am

As a democracy shouldn't we hold ourselves to a higher standard than countries that are, to all intents and purposes, dictatorships where right to counsel etc are not necessarily observed . Shouldn't there be a scheme where the people could stay overnight at a hotel, unless they were considered flight risks, also have an interpreter available if there is a language problem. It strikes me that the authorities in this instance are dealing with an imperfect system that has not been thought through and their lack of training and bureaucratic mindset has caused an embarrassing incident
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:00 am

I'm only familiar with USA, China and Canada immigration and police from first hand experiences. How do they do it in other countries? How is this different? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm totally for decent treatment of prisoners, detainees, etc., but the USA has such widespread and serious problems with this that 48 hours in jail for a non-offense doesn't even get on the radar that I'm looking at daily, whether as an isolated incident or a trend. I'm sure if the she had actually been physically harmed in any way or if the alleged denial of medical care had been tangible there would have been more details, and since this was mostly an avoidable situation, I don't rate it very important compared to people in the USA criminal justice system being seriously injured or dying, not to mention tortured.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 am

Been hassled by the Chinese at the Guangzhou airport for my passport being damaged from a good washing. Immigration said I was being detained and my wife launched a protest movement in customs and I was set free and told to get a new passport, I did.

My wife got picked up for working on a tourist visa and detained for an hour. They told her employer that she needed a different visa and was set free.

In the UK I was hassled for not having my friend's address in New Castle and I did not even know there were two. I only know I would be picked up at the airport. I was told that in the States I would be sent back for this and told but it is a small island we will find you if we need to.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:00 am

In Europe I was stopped by for not having a tram ticket. I refused to pay because I was about too. I was then questioned about my visa, I was working illegally, so I paid up and I was set free.

Michael don't defend the US. This is the same country willing to let every Korean on the peninsula die to get Kim Jung Un. This country has a sickness which is why you left.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:10 am

grzegorz wrote:Michael don't defend the US.

I'm just failing to get my point across here, lemme try again. The first person to blame here is the Professor. The second is what I suspect, but don't know, the second is the monetization of incarceration in the USA that is probably connected to her going to a jail for 48 hours instead of sitting in an airport office or somewhere like that for 24.

This is the same country willing to let every Korean on the peninsula die to get Kim Jung Un. This country has a sickness which is why you left.

I think it's better to stay focused on specific problems and solutions. BTW, I know I've been out of the USA a long time, but it has nothing to do with any negative feeling about my country, no connection whatsoever. Living in the PRC makes me appreciate America more, see some good points as well as some problems more clearly. The wars bother me. The amount of incarcerated bothers me.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:10 am

If you're stuck at customs, you'll wait there until it's determined that you can enter the country. If not, they put you on a flight back. They've held people for days or longer. It does seem unusual for someone without a visa to be jailed.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Michael wrote:
grzegorz wrote:Michael don't defend the US.

I'm just failing to get my point across here, lemme try again. The first person to blame here is the Professor. The second is what I suspect, but don't know, the second is the monetization of incarceration in the USA that is probably connected to her going to a jail for 48 hours instead of sitting in an airport office or somewhere like that for 24.

This is the same country willing to let every Korean on the peninsula die to get Kim Jung Un. This country has a sickness which is why you left.

I think it's better to stay focused on specific problems and solutions. BTW, I know I've been out of the USA a long time, but it has nothing to do with any negative feeling about my country, no connection whatsoever. Living in the PRC makes me appreciate America more, see some good points as well as some problems more clearly. The wars bother me. The amount of incarcerated bothers me.

Well I gave multiple examples of how three other countries let me and my wife go after you asked how other countries do things but you are still blaming the victim for the fact that the US is a country of assholes.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:02 pm

I blamed the Professor, I never blamed the Spanish girl. I don't think the Professor is the victim.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:36 pm

That includes the professor.

More than likely the customs officer got a pat on the back and a promotion.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 am

Updated 12:28 PM ET, Sun October 22, 2017

Indonesia's General Gatot Nurmantyo in 2015 at the presidential palace in Jakarta.

(CNN)The chief of Indonesia's military was denied entry to the United States on Saturday, despite having an invitation from US General Joseph F. Dunford Jr., chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Dunford had invited General Gatot Nurmantyo to Washington, D.C., to attend a conference Monday and Tuesday on combating violent extremism, according to a statement from the US Embassy in Indonesia.

Nurmantyo and his wife were set to board an Emirates flight in Jakarta for Washington on Saturday evening, reported CNN Indonesia, a CNN affiliate. But shortly before takeoff, the delegation received notice from US Customs and Border Protection that they weren't permitted entry to the United States.

Indonesian Foreign Ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir said the government was seeking clarification from the US government, CNN Indonesia reported

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/22/politics/ ... index.html
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:27 am

The race to the bottom.

A University of Otago academic is warning others travelling[sic] to the United States to take a copy of visa rules with them after she says she was wrongly refused entry to the country.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11935910
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:31 am

It would seem that Trump is not only about undoing Obama's legacy, as he is quite content to repeat some of the worst mistakes including rushing to hire underqualified and improperly vetted border agents leading to an increase in abuse of power.

And Josiah Heyman, who wrote Tuesday’s report, said Border Patrol has a worse record overall than other agencies.

“This is not just a matter of a few bad apples,” Heyman said during a press call on the report’s release. “Arrests for corruption are significantly higher in CBP compared to other law enforcement agencies.”

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2017/04/ ... -officers/
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:34 am

Yes, I have also heard stories of people who have lived here legally for decades having trouble returning to the US after going to there home country. It would seem to coming from the top either directly or indirectly.
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic