The Healer (new show on TLC)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: The Healer (new show on TLC)

Postby everything on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:07 am

Yes, the show seems to like to show a modern doctor who's already tried to help the patient commenting with surprise that the evidence shows some positive change. No one knows what happened (which is fine), but I agree that most people wouldn't believe it even if "credible" parties wrote down the objective results. Never mind whether many parties are on the payroll of Big Pharma. It just doesn't really fit this worldview. Even with a television show on a "learning" channel with "celebrity endorsements" of results. That almost makes it seem more fake to skeptics, I would think.

Of course there are "holistic" and "integrative" and "functional" and "evidence-based" medical practitioners out there as well. On RSF we are more aware that there is qigong, TCM, etc., but I doubt "we" know of any theory of do "this kind of qigong" and it will help UTI for example. Maybe it's actually early days of people getting some understanding of all of this and the integrative folks are onto something. Anyway ... on to ep3 pretty soon for me. It is interesting that his temperament, likable personality, and sincerity seem to equip him for all the challenges and reasonable level of skepticism people should have. It probably helps that he doesn't claim he does "TCM" or "Reiki" or any particular thing and that he professes he doesn't know anything about why he can do this, or how to diagnose anything.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 am

everything wrote:t probably helps that he doesn't claim he does "TCM" or "Reiki" or any particular thing and that he professes he doesn't know anything about why he can do this, or how to diagnose anything.

I was thinking the same thing. If he prattled on about chakras, meridians and other qi-eesy things, he'd be even less palatable to conventional doctors.

I saw a show out of the UK in 2004 that was a short documentary on healers from there and also from the USA. It was well-produced and simple, showing each guy healing one or more people with a bit less dramatic music than Charlie's show. They're not common by any means, but they can be found. Because of the dramatic results they achieve so quickly, I don't think it's difficult to demonstrate and collect statistics about their efficacy and I'm sure there have been studies on healers. Not sure if there's ever been a study on someone like Charlie, but I doubt it.

Most of these people have day jobs like Charlie and don't want any money, and although they could monetize what they do, it can not be reproduced in others by training with any consistency. It's just a rare occurrence whose effects of immediate cure to months' or years' old ailments demonstrate the plasticity of human health, as well as reality in general, and that's not a sales pitch that most reliable people can get behind, but it is one that attracts other types of sellers.

But who knows, maybe a doctor working with Charlie will find a way to measure something previously unknown that can be re-produced for a large scale cure. Might happen.
Michael

Postby everything on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:32 am

Watched more episodes and finally they talked a little more about some of his process. He explained he is all "output" so he cannot tell or sense if the patient/recipient feels better or different (although his story about smoothing the thing in front of the woman's hand seems to slightly contradict this).

Another interesting part was he said he would "try harder" but that it is risky because last time he tried really hard on 3 patients 3 days in a row and had chronic fatigue for 6 months afterwards.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:36 am

I know a guy here in Guangzhou who's all output and does transmit a lot of energy, but he can't feel a thing. Sometimes he works with another guy who transmits normal levels, but has great feedback, and together they say they can get the job done that one of them could not.

I usually classify two types of energy healing. One is what I call "volumetric," or large amounts of energy (volumes) being transmitted at mostly the physical level (dimension). It's the cause of physical sensations of heat, cold, etc.

The other is "adjustment", which requires much less energy volume and it's what Charlie does when his eyes are closed. He's taking his mind to a place where a very small amount of energy can be directed at will to adjust the other person by influencing their existence in that place, their "energy body" if you will, and the effect is then replicated down to the physiological level immediately. Adjusting someone's energy body in "the ether" is analogous to giving a skilled reflexology massage in the physical world.

There is simultaneous overlap between these two, such that the energy transmission that likely caused Charlie to get fatigue also goes "up", meaning it enters at the physical level, has significant effect on their internal energy system, and then goes "up" and affects the recipient at another level.

It's a danger sign that Charlie gets fatigue if he tries too hard. His energy just follows his intention, which is why he produces more when he tries harder, and it could mean that all or nearly all of his volumetric transmissions are coming from his own energy. That's quite risky.

To contrast, I get a boost when I do even a little energy healing and it intensifies more than linearly if I do a lot in a certain period of time, like more than half an hour a day, partly because my focus also increases with more healing time.

I'm curious why it doesn't work that way for Charlie. Perhaps because of the way he originally tapped into what he calls the gift. I hope he talks more about that.
Michael

Postby everything on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks, Michael. Totally fascinating stuff to me. I hope they get more into this level of detail. The stories are all moving and so on, but a little repetitive if they don't dive deeper into trying to figure out or even describe what is or might be happening in more of a "season arc" kind of storyline.
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:59 pm

"People say it doesn't exist until science has proven it. That's not true. Everything exists before science discovers it."

Such a good quote. People, even very educated people, seem to almost always misunderstand how science works. Gravity existed long before "science" came along with its hypothesis. Same thing with all other phenomena. Even IMA people often do not understand or have an open mind about various things and immediately want a metaphor or "scientific" explanation that doesn't actually exist. They draw the wrong conclusion that if the explanation/hypothesis doesn't exist, the phenomenon doesn't exist.
everything
Wuji

Postby middleway on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:17 am

Such a good quote. People, even very educated people, seem to almost always misunderstand how science works. Gravity existed long before "science" came along with its hypothesis. Same thing with all other phenomena. Even IMA people often do not understand or have an open mind about various things and immediately want a metaphor or "scientific" explanation that doesn't actually exist. They draw the wrong conclusion that if the explanation/hypothesis doesn't exist, the phenomenon doesn't exist.

I consider myself to be an open minded skeptic. Every view i hold is open to change, and not only when a study is released. In fact i wrote an article on the why 'Studies' should not be the only metric we use to validate a method.

However, I think this quote is maybe selling the skeptical viewpoint short. The above is obviously a ludicrous position.

Very few skeptically minded think that something is NOT a reality until a therory for its mechanism is established or proven through the scientific process. Most simply air on the side of the most likely explination until more information becomes available.

Quite common on the other side however, is for peoples minds to be so 'open' that their brains fall out. There is a tendancy in the non skeptically minded to think that if something isnt 'proven' then ALL competing Hypothesis hold the same value, cause ... who really knows right? That is a completely false idea. There is usually a weight of evidence pointing towards one idea being more likely than another.

Many of those with 'Open Minds' are highly contradictory in the evidence they require to believe something ... if it sounds right to them they dont even bother checking the sources or the information any further. Similarly, If evidence does not confirm their bias they will reject the evidence. This tendancy can be seen in the conspiracy community, the healing community, the nutrition community ... all over the place. As someone in nutrition i see it constantly in that community, be it about non celiac gluten sensetivity, veganism, milk, or whatever the latest thing is, people will watch a completely incorrect clip on social media and parrot it ad nausium when the information is either completely false or extremely out of date.

For instance who, that watches The Healer has looked into the production staff? The writers? The patients? The Healer himself? Who has researched the track record of the production company in providing accurate documentary footage? These are 'First steps' in my opinion when claims of such skills are presented.

There is a huge volume of evidence that TV deceives people and does not present reality as it is. There is VERY limited evidence that such shows are honest representations. So to be skeptical should really be everyones default position, even those with an open mind.

Just my thoughts. :)

Chris.
Last edited by middleway on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic