if you do board riding sports or similar

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

if you do board riding sports or similar

Postby everything on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:03 pm

if you do / have done some board riding sports or similar balance activities, e.g. perhaps riding the train without holding the handles, how do you think that relates to your IMA ability or training to work on your root? do you relate it to "dantian rotation" at all? what other analogies or connections do you see here?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: if you do board riding sports or similar

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:33 am

everything wrote:if you do / have done some board riding sports or similar balance activities, e.g. perhaps riding the train without holding the handles, how do you think that relates to your IMA ability or training to work on your root? do you relate it to "dantian rotation" at all? what other analogies or connections do you see here?

Just relax to sink the root.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:38 am

:)
I use to ride the tram w/o keepin` the handle, and in fact I still do from time to time,
but
no DT rotation or any fancy staff, as Ron posted - sinking bellow and allow the body to keep equilibrium,
very interesting play, when is crowdy and you trying do not touch anybody.
Relation to IMA? -
-checking out your equilibrium w/o been punching in to the face...
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Modern skateboarding and surfing have little to do with stepping
Both are good athletic workouts and work balance and body touqe
Riding a mal involves stepping and pak or is much better than skateboarding for overall body mechanics
Any sport can have flow on effects
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:58 pm

I noticed it is fun to ride the train without holding on. It feels like a large skateboard to me. I was trying to sort of let my hips kind of "float".

The only other board sport I ever tried was windsurfing. It's a little different because your upper body is definitely involved. Doesn't seem similar to push hands or any MA to me. You may need to lean back to balance the wind pushing the sail away from you, which isn't exactly "yield" or "peng". There is some interesting footwork involved in turning that I don't really know, though.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Most older wind boarders I know have pretty hunched backs
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic