what new skill are you practicing right now?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

what new skill are you practicing right now?

Postby everything on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm not really doing MA, so I'm working on certain kinds of difficult (at least to me) footwork with a football (soccer ball). It's a little "taiji" like in the sensitivity and requires good single leg balance and reading of an opponent's footwork. For example, you try to control the ball ("sticking" and sensitivity) while reading the opponent, then you push the ball through his legs at the exact right moment, run around him and get the ball again. This is really difficult but simple ones can be done fairly easily. I imagine this is more difficult than footsweeps.

The other "move" that I want to do more of that is more MA-related is "swim" my arm in front of the opponent's chest and use "peng" energy to block him so I can get the ball while running next to him. This has to be done really subtly in order to not be considered a foul. This is an example where taijiquan is useful in a totally different context that is a little bit of "fighting" that is not fighting.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: what new skill are you practicing right now?

Postby Trick on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:45 pm

Not really practicing any "new skills" but your post made me want to dribble with a football again. I have thought about juggling with tennis balls(more safe I believe) but currently only have one tennis ball at home, and that's too easy :) I believe juggling in a way could be good awareness practice.....There's a music school in my neighborhood and I'm thinking to take guitar lessons, probably not martially valid but could be fun, (could of course just buy a guitar case to carry a machine gun or similar :)
Trick

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Taiwan is or should be the scooter capital of the world.
Got my lic and scooter 150cc, a couple of months ago, working on getting my knee down
in some of the curves someday touching the pavement if its possible.

Work on a lot of slow speed riding skills, turns, slaloms ect...all good stuff that can't hurt to much at slow speeds
should something happen.

The higher speed turns require a little more skill and will definitely hurt :o if one
messes up...Approach with caution.

For focus, being in the moment, balance, body position
and relationship to ground and bike all are directly related to
the same skill sets that one might work in any type of MA....

mine is the one on the right,,,,yamaha force 155cc
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:05 am

Moved to a scooter city in Anhui a couple of months ago but dare not go on riding those things yet, currently working on my pedestrian awareness. Most scooters here are electric so basically soundless, closely sneakingly swishing by.
Trick

Postby windwalker on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:22 am

Trick wrote:Moved to a scooter city in Anhui a couple of months ago but dare not go on riding those things yet, currently working on my pedestrian awareness. Most scooters here are electric so basically soundless, closely sneakingly swishing by.

apologies to the OP if this is to off topic. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QafvGm9 ... e=youtu.be

lots of these running around here, very sweet...not really my thing the range is not enough
and the charging cycle is a little long...if one does not do long rides should be ok....

haha dude has his knee down 3:47 ,,, ;) I guess it is possible
looks like I need to get more practice in....
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:05 am

Calligraphy/drawing, it's very meditative
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:31 am

Trying to learn how to play the piano by following my kid to his classes.

oragami_itto wrote:Calligraphy/drawing, it's very meditative

Awesome. Any special technique?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:35 am

Bao wrote:Trying to learn how to play the piano by following my kid to his classes.

oragami_itto wrote:Calligraphy/drawing, it's very meditative

Awesome. Any special technique?

Nope just puttering. I've got a bunch of brush tip markers alcohol and water based, and a dip fountain pen set.

Just making on paper and learning how it works. Art is good for the spirit :)
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:19 am

awesome stuff. windwalker - I was just in taiwan; shoulda looked you rsf folks up but not enough time with the obligatory family visits. maybe next time. the scooter traffic is scary to me. I do kinda want to get an e-scooter (more like a skateboard)
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 am

oragami_itto wrote:Art is good for the spirit :)

Absolutely. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:03 am

completely on this tangent, that gogoro scooter will surely "go far" (bad pun sorry) after a while. all the electric vehicle r&d will eventually yield longer range, reliable self-driving in various conditions, etc.

personally I like my dead dino oil based manual trans "sporty" car's user experience, but there are some days in bad traffic I do want to push a button that says "drive to work" (my drive to work is stupidly simple from a human pov, and probably not hard from an AI/machine learning view either) and not be bothered with it. I'm not sure I'd trust a self-driving scooter in Taipei-crazy traffic, though. there are sometimes not lanes and those car-drivers will change "lanes" with a 6 inch margin in front of your scooter or whatever. I guess the "AI" should be able to handle that but it seems too scary to me.
everything
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm trying to learn Mandarin with my son, he's 6 months old and getting English and Spanish already at home.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby GrandUltimate on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:23 pm

I've been studying Hebrew for the past 3 school semesters and have gotten into working on some calligraphy.

I've also been wrestling, which is still a martial art, but it's opened a new world of stuff to me. I had done arts like BJJ before and didn't really like it as much, nor could I get into watching other people grapple or wrestle. But lately, it's been on my mind a lot and I now enjoy taking part in it, reading about it, and watching other people do it. Been cross training Shuai Jiao, and I'll admit, prior to training in it I had my doubts. A lot of throws and whatnot looked more compliant, not because of the partner clearly being compliant, but just because the techniques seemed to work way too well. As it turns out, the techniques really are pretty darn effective! Now I'm really interested in wrestling history as well. Another reason for this is because, being Indian, I never felt Indian were all that well represented in martial arts. Sure, we have stuff like Kalaripyattu and other arts, but those arts don't really throw down with others the way wrestling does. As it turns out, India has a pretty rich history of wrestling, and I was happy to see that.
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"
GrandUltimate
Mingjing

Postby Bhassler on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:33 pm

GrandUltimate wrote:I've also been wrestling, which is still a martial art, but it's opened a new world of stuff to me. I had done arts like BJJ before and didn't really like it as much, nor could I get into watching other people grapple or wrestle. But lately, it's been on my mind a lot and I now enjoy taking part in it, reading about it, and watching other people do it. Been cross training Shuai Jiao, and I'll admit, prior to training in it I had my doubts. A lot of throws and whatnot looked more compliant, not because of the partner clearly being compliant, but just because the techniques seemed to work way too well. As it turns out, the techniques really are pretty darn effective! Now I'm really interested in wrestling history as well. Another reason for this is because, being Indian, I never felt Indian were all that well represented in martial arts. Sure, we have stuff like Kalaripyattu and other arts, but those arts don't really throw down with others the way wrestling does. As it turns out, India has a pretty rich history of wrestling, and I was happy to see that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CreCOrf9ExM
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby GrandUltimate on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Now that's the type of stuff I need to start doing, plus a lot of other stuff since I'm way weaker than I thought
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"
GrandUltimate
Mingjing

Next

Return to Off the Topic