How to peel chestnuts

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

How to peel chestnuts

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:09 am

http://hedgewizardsdiary.blogspot.com/2 ... tnuts.html

Peeling chestnuts - the easy way

Chestnuts turn out to be a lot of work to prepare, and the paucity and vagueness of the advice on the net suggests that very few people actually do it, so following one unseccessful session I had to work out a method for myself.

One telephone call to an ex royal chef and twenty minutes of experimenting later, it's sorted. Cut an X into the top of each chestnut (the end with the little tuft of spikes on), and drop into a shallow panful of simmering water. WEARING RUBBER GLOVES, a minute or two later take two or three out with a slotted spoon. The shell peels down from the top, and if the skin doesn't come with it, it will soon follow with a rub from your gloved fingertip. Don't peel the shell right down to the bottom until you've done all four sides (you don't want it to cool) and then rub any remaining skin off. Any skin caught in the folds can be tweaked out by a helper (non glove-wearing), or with a knife, or rubbed off gently with a toothbrush. If the nut cools down too much and the skin readheres, pop it back into the boiling water for 30 seconds.

The nuts go floury if they're cooked for too long, so about six nuts at a time in the boiling water is about right so you can do two or three batches of peeling.

Still labour intensive, but you get beautifully clean nuts (matron), don't waste so many, or burn your fingers.

Witchypoo wimped out of using the cauliflower fungus I'm afraid, but that bay boletus were lovely!
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Re: How to peel chestnuts

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:28 am

Some medicinal benefits from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnuts
Medicinal properties

The fruit is very nutritious, energising, remineralising, a tonic for muscles, nerves and veinous system, anti-anemic, antiseptic and stomachic. It is recommended to convalescents.[36]

The tannin in leaves and bark makes these astringent, useful to treat bleedings, diarrhoeas etc. They are anti-inflammatory, astringent, expectorant and tonic.[18][74][75] The leaves are harvested in June or July and can be used fresh or dried.[18] An infusion has been used in the treatment of fevers and ague, but are mainly employed for their efficacy in treating convulsive coughs such as whooping cough and other irritable conditions of the respiratory system.[18][74] The leaves can also be used in the treatment of rheumatism, to ease lower back pains and to relieve stiff muscles and joints.[76] A decoction is a useful gargle for treating sore throats.[76] The bark has been used as antidiarrheic because of the tannins.[36]

The plant is used in Bach flower remedies - the keywords for prescribing it are 'Extreme mental anguish', 'Hopelessness' and 'Despair'[209].[56]

Wood extract (mixed at a 1:2 to 1:6 ratio with sugar) is used as a natural agent for the prevention and cure of diarrhoea in animals.[77]
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:30 am

I love shit like this, Teo.

My grandpa (who was sort of the big male role model in my youth since my dad passed away when I was very young) told me that life was made up "10,000 tricks, and that the secret of the world lies in learning all the little tricks. He then proceeded to show me this little trick of getting a screw to go in easier by lubricating the threads with a little bit of bar soap.

I think it really is the beauty of our time right now that we have access to more of the sum total of human knowledge and experience than any other humans anywhere ever.

Just yesterday I pumped into google "best way to clean a mattress" because I have no idea what the best ways are to easily clean a mattress. This is no longer the case and for the rest of my life I won't have to stress over that because I learned the trick of it.

or this thing we posted a couple years ago:

Anyhoo, not to go off on some crazed rant about how cool it is to learn things but.....I like learning useful things.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:41 am

Yeah, it is very important to keep learning things and not have the attitude that once out of school, learning is done.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:23 pm

shawnsegler wrote: My grandpa (who was sort of the big male role model in my youth since my dad passed away when I was very young) told me that life was made up "10,000 tricks, and that the secret of the world lies in learning all the little tricks. He then proceeded to show me this little trick of getting a screw to go in easier by lubricating the threads with a little bit of bar soap......
Anyhoo, not to go off on some crazed rant about how cool it is to learn things but.....I like learning useful things.

That's very true.
I use the soap trick all the time. Another one with screws is, if one gets pulled out of a wall, stuff the hole with toothpicks or matches (i.e. something wooden) & you can screw it back in better.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:42 pm

well, if it's tips n tricks you want, here's 20! freshly ripped from the net!

1. Ant repellent.
Find out where the ants are coming into the house and sprinkle ground pepper around. The ants won't cross it.
2. Carpet stains.
Rub the afected area with a baby wipe. Caution: test a small area before using on very expensive, or non colorfast carpets.
3. Rust on chrome.
Remove by dipping scrunched up tin foil in Coca Cola and gently rubbing the metal.
4. Photographs stuck together.
Don't just pull, or you will tear the surface off them. Heat for a few seconds with a hair dryer and they will separate.
5. Veggie Drawer.
To make fruit and vegetables in the crisper drawer of your fridge last longer, line the bottom with paper towels. This absorbs the water.
6. Salt.
Too much salt in soup, or stews? Add a cut raw potato and it will absorb the salt.
7. Fast cooking.
To quickly cook burgers, make a hole in the centre and cook as usual. Burgers will cook quicker and the hole will close.
8. Onions.
Peel onions under cold water to prevent eyes stinging.
9. Rice.
Improve the texture of cooked rice by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice to the cooking water.
10. Scuff marks.
Lemon extract rubbed onto the surface will remove scuff marks from hard suitcases and other items of luggage.
11. Insects.
Bay leaves kept in kitchen cupboards and drawers will stop crawling insects from going there.
12. Gum.
Lemon juice will remove gum from clothing and fabrics.
13. Crayon marks on wall.
Put a little baking soda on a damp cloth and rub gently.
14. Potatoes.
To stop potatoes from growing shoots, keep an apple in the bag with them.
15. Brown sugar.
To soften brown sugar that has hardened, add a slice of apple to the bag.
16. Mirrors.
Use air freshener to clean mrrors. It leaves them gleaming and also smells nice.
17. Kitchen fires.
Small fat fires in the kitchen can be put out with baking soda. (Don't tackle big ones though!)
18. Burn marks in pans.
Add fabric conditioner to the burned area and leave over night. Rinse off.
19. Clogged drain.
Before calling a plumber, try putting three Alka Sltzer tablets down the drain, leaving for half an hour and rinsing through. This could save you a lot of money.
20. Glass shower screen.
Wash with a damp sponge soaked in white vinegar and rinse. This gives a great shine and removes all the soap scum.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Awesome!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:37 pm

if your weed is all dried out, put a lettuce leaf in the baggie. it'll freshen that weed right up.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:55 pm

I sometimes use a tiny twist of lemon peel.

Love,
Heloise
Bär
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:29 pm

Hempoise.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler