Beatdown

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Beatdown

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 pm

Trick wrote:Making and selling Trump Voodo-dolls could be a good business

Been done :) Image

Btw, voodoo dolls are a New Orleans thing, not Haitian at all. They come from the European "poppet" tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppet

Last edited by Steve James on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:01 am

Steve James wrote:
Trick wrote:Making and selling Trump Voodo-dolls could be a good business

Been done :) Image

Btw, voodoo dolls are a New Orleans thing, not Haitian at all. They come from the European "poppet" tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppet

Thanks, learn something new everyday, interesting info
Trick

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote: it was clearly a racist remark. If it wasn't, why is he denying saying it now?

You either didn't say something or you said something and it wasn't racist. You can't deny saying something and then deny that the thing you didn't say was racist.

The problem isn't the country, it's the people "Why do we want all these people from shithole countries here?"

It's saying that people from shithole countries are inferior by nature of where they are from.

This, along with his incessant crowing about "good genes" is just evidence of his, conscious or not, "Blood and Soil" mentality. To Trump you are a product of your genes and are inextricably bound to your land.

This is a direct lift of Nazi philosophy. Coupled with the rest of his fascistic tendencies, it gives one pause.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:37 am

oragami_itto wrote:This, along with his incessant crowing about "good genes" is just evidence of his, conscious or not, "Blood and Soil" mentality. To Trump you are a product of your genes and are inextricably bound to your land.

This is a direct lift of Nazi philosophy. Coupled with the rest of his fascistic tendencies, it gives one pause.

Wow lots of mind readers on RSF, and some who apparently know what and how Trump thinks.
Is that what he really thinks,,,how long have you known him?

was he racist back then

"Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul brushed off suggestions that President Trump holds a racial animus against Haitians because he once supported Paul’s trip to the Caribbean nation to do eye surgeries on poor Haitians.

Paul said on NBC’s “Meet The Press” Sunday that Trump donated money to a medical mission trip Paul took before he was president. Paul did about 200 surgeries on Haitians that allowed them to see while he was on the trip, and he said that’s evidence Trump isn’t prejudiced against the country."

Or was it something that just started now....Do you know why, what and how these countries came up in the meeting?
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:42 am

Golly, let me spend my precious time compiling yet another laundry list of evidence that you'll ignore in your bullheaded insistence. Sounds like a great idea.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:18 am

:) Giving money to Haitian charities has nothing at all to do with being racist. In fact, it's the racist's argument. "I'm not racist because ... my best friend is Black ... my wife is Black ... I hire Black people ... I like Michael Jackson." The first problem is: not having Black friends, not having a Black wife, not hiring Black people, or not liking Michael Jackson DOES NOT MAKE SOMEONE A RACIST. If someone tells you so, he's just ignorant; ignore him.

The second problem is: it's totally unnecessary to assert that one is not racist if one is not racist. The problem is that people who are prejudiced almost always feel that their prejudice is justified. It doesn't matter whether the justification is because ... they're Muslim, Mexican, Syrian, Haitian, LGBT, or White, American, Christian, etc. It's ignorant, but it's their logic.

Yet, even while they have prejudiced views about the group, they always point to examples of how un-prejudiced they are. For example, Trump's comments about "shit holes" mentioned Nigeria. But, he hired Omarosa Manigault, who was the daughter of Nigerian immigrants. Of course, African immigrants to the US from former British colonies do well in general. And, Trump is correct that "immigrants" take jobs that African Americans could have taken. Omarosa,however, was born in Ohio. Get the picture?

Let me clarify. It really doesn't matter if Trump holds ignorant views about countries or peoples. There was a time not too long ago that his views were standard. Hmm, it's easy to pick a date: 1965, when the Civil Rights and Immigration Rights Acts were signed. Um, before that, Omarosa's parents might not have made the quota based on the "national origin index." Without those acts, she might never have gotten into college. How she got on the Apprentice, I don't know (never watched). I do know that being appointed "Director of Communications for the Office of Public Liaison" for the Trump administration was a great leap for her, but meant nothing about Trump's views on Nigeria, Nigerians, or Nigerian immigrants.

Indeed, that's the self-evident disconnect. Meanwhile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSHvCArMCUM
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am

Steve James wrote::) Giving money to Haitian charities has nothing at all to do with being racist. In fact, it's the racist's argument.

Is Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul a racist?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:05 am

Is Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul a racist?

It really depends on your definition. Does he hate Black people? I don't know, and don't really care. Does he think that White people are better than other people? I don't know. I bet that, if asked, he wouldn't say that White people are worse. Does he want to ensure the existence of the White race? I don't know, but that's where it gets tricky. Ask anyone if he wants to ensure his "race's" existence. So, does that make him a "racist"?

Does he refuse to rent to Black people? Does he refuse to hire them? I dunno, and don't care. Those are the things that would make him racist in my definition. How people "feel" about others is irrelevant. The English don't need to have pleasant opinions of the Irish, French or Italians. Treating them like second class human beings is another thing.

I don't usually call people racist because "racism" is the real thing. People are just people. Trump and his father have been accused of real racism in the real estate industry. You can look it up if you want. But, even if they had a low opinion of Blacks and Hispanics, the racism was in combining those opinions to determine who they'd rent to and how much to charge. Anyway, my definition of racism is closest to the following:

Broadly speaking, a racist combines negative prejudicial biases with sufficient power to leverage action against targeted groups. Trump's words and behaviors demonstrate considerable prejudicial bias, and, as president of the United States — arguably the most powerful office in the contemporary world — he has indeed leveraged action against various groups.

The only qualification I'd make is that "various groups" don't have to belong to any specific "race." Moreover, "racism" is not more pernicious than antagonism toward LGBTs, Latinos, Muslims or women, and these views are held by members of all "races."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic