scooters

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

scooters

Postby windwalker on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Taiwan land of the scooter. My first visit to this land was back in the late 1990s, my view then as now has not changed with exception
of becoming one of the scooter riders. the pic shows my freedom rider parked next to a harley.

Mornings full of adventure, nothing like a scooter jam being balanced on a scooter along with many others only a couple of inches away somehow not crashing into each other "for the most part" ;) bad accidents do happen...not so often...

The driving test is high tech with sensors used to monitor whether one can stay within the lines or not and stop where your supposed to stop...There is a person who grades on how one drives deducting points for mistakes and bad driving habits. There are some rules here for turns across intersections and what can ride on a free way, high way and other areas that are a little different then in the US. Takes some getting used to...

must be a hard riding brand ;)

The gong fu of scooter riding is not as easy as one would think or how it looks....once attained there is a sense of true freedom...
4 wheels have advantages, nothing like a good ride in the mornings for a wake up...more so here with so many growing up with scooters
as part of the culture. The young guys, fix them up just as in the US some do with cars and such...very cool
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Re: scooters

Postby Michael on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:16 am

Where dem birds at?

Michael

Postby phil b on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:02 pm

The scooter test in Taiwan is a joke. I took it so I could legally own and ride a scooter in Taiwan. Like the car test, it has no road safety component other than a very simple theory test. That's why riding a scooter in Taiwan is akin to taking your life in your hands every time you ride it.
Just your average office worker :p
phil b
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 pm

phil b wrote:The scooter test in Taiwan is a joke. I took it so I could legally own and ride a scooter in Taiwan. Like the car test, it has no road safety component other than a very simple theory test. That's why riding a scooter in Taiwan is akin to taking your life in your hands every time you ride it.

Cool, means you passed it the first time right?
Can you point to a place which has a better test showing what you feel is missing.

The young guys do a lot of customizing here, just as in the US with cars, only here its scooters and other bikes

Image..

Yamaha Force 155cc, look closely and one can see the brake fluid containers have been modified / handlebars changed out, wider grip and easier turning I am told...

Yamaha Force 155cc, modified

Scooters found in very unusual places, like this one going out for some clamming

Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby phil b on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:04 am

Yeah, it's like pimp my ride for scooters. The only modification I don't like is the ridiculously loud exhaust.

As for the test. Like the big bike and car tests there is no compulsory driving in traffic. It's all in a test centre. As a result, Taiwanese ride and drive like they walk, without a scrap of consideration for others. They don't have the first idea about mirrors, blind spots, basic road etiquette. Everytime they do something dumb, which is everytime they ride or drive the best you can hope for is the ubiquitous 不好意思 , a meaningless load of shite. Basically it is "sorry I nearly killed you" said with less sincerity than a politician can muster.

[
Just your average office worker :p
phil b
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:22 am

I've driven all over the world...lots of people on the road who shouldn't be.

I've heard for cars they may change the testing to driving in traffic..for bikes, scooters. I've never heard of any test given in traffic even in the US,
all are on some type of course testing different skill sets and awareness of traffic signs rules ect. Could be wrong...just haven't seen it.

Having said this, I find the scooter driving really gets ones attention, although surprising enough some do text while driving
and smoke, :o both not good for health :P

I enjoy the challenge and threading through the traffic.

The smaller bikes come in all types old school, new age and modern styles...
Don't care for the load exhaust either,

not so much the parking

Which can be confusing at times, as sometimes ones scooter gets moved or blocked....

they do have some serious bikes here on the weekends on mountain roads...

lots of them carving up the turns

for me the experience is very cool, something I enjoy.. The Taiwanese have a sense of space, and distance on the scooters that has to be experienced, just need to be mindful and present while driving. Working on the curves so far manged to scarp the back kick stands...while in a lean...

It is interesting as there is a tech called counter steering,,,going into the turns....not very intuitive. :-\
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Michael on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:26 am

I've never heard of any test given in traffic even in the US,
all are on some type of course testing different skill sets and awareness of traffic signs rules ect. Could be wrong...just haven't seen it.

Took my car test in Texas in the early 80's, motorcycle test in the early 90's, both in traffic.
Michael

Postby Peacedog on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 am

I have to admit the new generation of automatic transmission large scooters are pretty nice. Almost enough to tempt me into buying one in the US, but not quite.

That said, the last several times I've been in Thailand I have rented a Forza 300 and been very pleased. Great bike. Nice, soft handling and a big guy like me can actually balance on one.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:18 pm

In Thailand you take your life in your hands on a scooter, particularly out in the countryside, I've seen as many as four people on one scooter
KEND
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Michael wrote:
I've never heard of any test given in traffic even in the US,

Took my car test in Texas in the early 80's, motorcycle test in the early 90's, both in traffic.

Interesting in California they have what's called a motorcycles driving skill test. It's conducted on a course with an instructor grading you on how you turn and handle the bike. Most other places I've looked at they also seem to test in the same way in that it's a skills test not really a driving test

I am told that for the car test which is now conducted on a track they will soon start testing in the street similar to what they do in the US.

The driving test is high tech with sensors used to monitor whether one can stay within the lines or not and stop where your supposed to stop...There is a person who grades on how one drives deducting points for mistakes and bad driving habits. Not too many people pass it the first time.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:25 pm

KEND wrote:In Thailand you take your life in your hands on a scooter, particularly out in the countryside, I've seen as many as four people on one scooter

Lived a couple of years in the land of Thai.

Had a 400cc Yamaha Cafe style bike. They drive on the left side of the road which is okay as long as there are other landmarks or vehicles to judge it by but when one is alone it's easy to start driving on the wrong side of the road.

Can be a real adventure when that happens. :o
It does tend to excite the Thais coming at you in the wrong direction.

I think that bike was possessed by a demon it really liked speed had to give it up. :P

I noticed in Thailand they like small bikes as opposed to scooters of the same CC range. The small motorcycle taxis are really handy for getting through traffic.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_s0DNaJSA

This is the test in CA. its not in traffic
Like some martial arts "taiji" slow speed skill sets translate into higher speed skill sets and
are whats tested for by the examiner..

In Taiwan, the test is a little harder combined with sensors to test the same things as well as evaluation road signs and traffic rules.
Some one mentioned about the difficulty of the test, looking at both which do you feel would be harder?
As I mentioned not many pass it the first time...

the straight line portion has to be completed in over 7 secs with out touching the lines which sets off a sensor and is an automatic fail.
A little harder then it looks...The evaluator is looking at how one handles the scooter, and how many times one has to put their foot down...in some cases 2 feet down is a fail...
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:58 pm

KEND wrote:In Thailand you take your life in your hands on a scooter, particularly out in the countryside, I've seen as many as four people on one scooter

Taking the kids to school,,

the early morning scooter jams are cool, a real test of skill.
Technically here its against the law to have more then 2 people on a bike. I haven't seen anyone ticketed but do worry about the kids sometimes..
What ya gonna do...They seem to have it down and it works... :-\
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22 pm

Peacedog wrote:I have to admit the new generation of automatic transmission large scooters are pretty nice. Almost enough to tempt me into buying one in the US, but not quite.

That said, the last several times I've been in Thailand I have rented a Forza 300 and been very pleased. Great bike. Nice, soft handling and a big guy like me can actually balance on one.

The red lic plate means 500cc and above....very nice and comfortable although here they'er not allowed on the freeways, yet ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:25 am

local biker watering hole,

The boys are back in town... ;)

Last edited by windwalker on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic