Some powerful shit

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Some powerful shit

Postby Michael on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 am

Dmitri wrote:When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object... The audience is enthralled! :P

Can't believe I'm sponge Springer worthy. :-*
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:16 am

OMG, Bruce, you've been quoted for posterity.

It's being entered in the great journal of internet discussions, sub-category: gun debate. This must be your proudest moment.
Michael

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:31 pm

wood is good, metal is bad

good thing they banned or are trying to "bump stocks" look at how fast some can shoot with them,,oops
none were used...my mistake :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0WgYfqgoHQ
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:25 pm

Michael wrote:OMG, Bruce, you've been quoted for posterity.

It's being entered in the great journal of internet discussions, sub-category: gun debate. This must be your proudest moment.

Hey, I think it's worth pointing out again that I'm not "anti-gun." I know Bruce doesn't live down here and neither do you, but you both have solid training (sounds like you might be a bit rusty, but if you follow the four rules, good enough) and I would have no problem with you guys owning, carrying, whatever, given that you followed up to date training and checks.

I just don't like to see arguments made that I think actually disservice the cause. I really don't buy the vigilante thing, although I am open to having my mind changed as I am with most things.

As a member of a g trust, I own and can use some neat stuff. Stuff most people don't get to touch. I just know too many people who should never have a firearm.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:46 pm

The 2nd Amendment does not specify guns or other specific arms. Does that mean that I get to buy and keep:

- Nunchukus and three-section staffs? (Illegal in states like NY)
- Swords and halberds?
- Tanks?
- Fighter jets?
- Personal hydrogen bombs?

But seriously, the NRA should support nunchukus, too.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:17 pm

Not the USA but the wannabe USA(Sweden) there when I was a kid I remember nunchakus and shurikens was(I think still is) illegal items and it was rumored that even KungFu(CMA) was an illegal activity....it made it very exiting for us kids
Trick

Postby Steve James on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:31 pm

The 2nd Amendment does not specify guns or other specific arms. Does that mean that I get to buy and keep:

However, the Supreme Court has ruled that the government can limit access to any weapon. It was part of the same decision that allowed people the right to own firearms for self-defense. So, it's not legal for a civilian to own a nuclear weapon; yet, he can be licensed to own a cannon or even a machine gun. It's (deliberately) hard as hell, but private museums do it all the time. The thing is, while someone applies, he can't say that he wants his 50. cal for self defense as a reason.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:22 pm

The laws are different in different states

for example in AL

Alabama
Main article: Gun laws in Alabama
Subject/Law Long guns Handguns Relevant statutes Notes
Permit to purchase required? No No
Firearm registration? No No
Owner license required? No No
Carry permits required? No Yes Alabama is a shall-issue state for concealed carry. However, the issuing county sheriff can suspend or even revoke concealed carry privileges for wanton disregard of the law.[7]

Open carry permitted? Yes Yes

State preemption of local restrictions? Yes Yes

Assault weapon law? No No
NFA weapons restricted? No No
Background checks required for private sales? No No

In CA

California
Main article: Gun laws in California
Subject/Law Long guns Handguns Relevant Statutes Notes
State permit to purchase? Yes Yes
Firearm registration? Yes Yes
Owner license required? No No
Assault weapon law? Yes Yes

Magazine capacity restriction? Yes Yes

Carry permits required? Yes Yes §
Open carry? Partial Partial
State preemption of local restrictions? Yes Yes

Castle doctrine law? Yes Yes
Peaceable journey laws? No No .
Waiting period? Yes Yes

Background checks required for private sales? Yes Yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_ ... s_by_state
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:59 am

Michael wrote:OMG, Bruce, you've been quoted for posterity.

Yeah...kinda creepy. Weird that some kook thinks I'm talking about vigilantism while he shakes his torch and pitchfork

Skeet is shooting flying clays with a shotgun using bird shot. Trap is shooting flying clays with a single projectile using a rifle - we use .22lr mostly as centerfire gets expensive. They're two of the most popular shooting sports in the world.

Run-and-gun has many different formats. My experience with it is pretty informal as there are no official orgs where I live.

The hunting and stalking formats are derived from subsistence hunting scenarios - not sport.

The hunting formats we've done have participants cover a certain distance while identifying as many targets as possible within a set time. The targets are most often 2 inch by 2 inch squares of orange duct tape. Sometimes they're 3d and silhouette. One may fire at as many as they like, but if they miss one, they're out of the running. Since most targets are 40-60 meters off the trail, every shot is risky, so you tend to wait for the best one(s).

The stalking format is similar but laid out in increasing distances. 40 meters has to be covered in 60 seconds, 60 meters in 90 seconds, 100 meters in 2 minutes. There is only one target per distance and can be easily overlooked in trying to meet the time requirement. Participants place subsequent targets if they hit any one or any of theirs as they run the course. Again, a miss is the end of one's day.

We also do similar stuff with bows.

Defensive involves AVOID, EVADE, ESCAPE and/or protecting
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Definitely one way to get around Arizona's laws of the police having to sell confiscated guns.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 576559001/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:32 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:
Michael wrote:A few months back there was a man who killed 26 people in a church and kept firing until a hero with an AR-15, who ran barefoot from his house next door stopped him. That's a hero, Stephen Willeford, a man who risked his life and stood toe to toe with a murderer and exchanged fire with him using a weapon that requires knowledge, training, skill and preparedness.

Man who shot and chased Texas church shooter gives emotional account to police in video

Extensive video interview by Willeford a few days later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4HEchh0XD8

Hero Who Chased Down Sutherland Springs Shooter: “Act Now, Ask Questions Later…”

So, you are going to accuse this guy of politicizing yet you present an essentially fabricated fantasy of the lone vigilanty saving the day. Full of shit as usual.

First of all, even if we pretend that this vigilante burst into the church and killed the mass shooter mid-spree, would that somehow validate what you are getting at? No, because the body count is still incredibly skewed.

Furthermore, this dipshit showed up after the fact, started shooting at the killer, couldn't even hit him, and then chased him down in *another commandeered vehicle* and found the guy in a ditch dead from his own weapon. Suicide. The killer was already done and on his way out.

Finally, I thought you served? The M-4, M-16, or any American style long rifle is not hard to use, does not require much or any training, or any particular knowledge. Given that, the fact that he couldn't even hit his target makes all of your comments ridiculous.

And you, who comes on here crusading against Antifa in the defense of ethno-nationalists, are the last one to call anyone else out for being political and partisan.

Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

As i recall the "hero" waited outside as stated.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:56 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Hey, I think it's worth pointing out again that I'm not "anti-gun." I know Bruce doesn't live down here and neither do you, but you both have solid training (sounds like you might be a bit rusty, but if you follow the four rules, good enough) and I would have no problem with you guys owning, carrying, whatever, given that you followed up to date training and checks.

As a member of a g trust, I own and can use some neat stuff. Stuff most people don't get to touch. I just know too many people who should never have a firearm.

Okay, man, just busting your chops 'cause it was a little dramatic. I believed you the first time when you said you're not anti-gun. I've been trying to figure this out for myself since the Sandy Hook shooting. I think I've again reached the same conclusion I had back then, but I would like to be well-informed and have a solid rationale. I think the second amendment is best for American society. There's lots of room for regulations and they should be optimized, but I don't think AR-15s and big magazines should be banned. I don't think banning those would affect mass shootings overall.

I just don't like to see arguments made that I think actually disservice the cause. I really don't buy the vigilante thing, although I am open to having my mind changed as I am with most things.

I posted my sources, both of which were claims from Willeford, a 3 minute video of him and a 37 minute. His claim of hitting the shooter was unconfirmed by post-mortem as far as I know, but I really haven't gone back and checked.

Putting aside whether Willeford hit the shooter, I guess there are two issues here: (1) a vigilante stopping a mass shooter in the act, and (2) vigilantes using guns to stop any violent crime in the act. Do you deny issue (2)? I think that's a strong "pro" for the 2nd amendment.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:44 am

Would banning AR-15s be harmful to anyone? Since the argument is that it's just a rifle (albeit a "scary looking one"), wouldn't any rifle be just as good for protection?

Otoh, afa harming people, a wound from a non-scary looking "rifle" doesn't cause as much damage as one fired from an AR type weapon. Ask the doctors who treated the wounds at the high school shooting. Don't take my word for it, of course.

Then there's the matter of combining that lethality with large capacity magazines. Ok, why? If the answer is the 2nd amendment, then why not allow fully automatic weapons? Iow, what is the reason for any restrictions?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:04 am

The 2nd amendment is not the reason by itself. The 2nd amendment represents that idea of self-reliance and responsibility for one's own protection and I think that self-defense is fundamental to individual independence and freedom in society overall, which includes risks created by private gun ownership. However, I would like to minimize the risks that are the consequence of private gun ownership.

Yes, banning AR-15's would be tangibly and intangibly harmful, but that kind of restriction could still be done legally, which I believe it was from 1994-2004. Whether it could be done without violating the principles I mentioned regarding self-reliance is very debatable. The harm in banning that weapon tangibly is to take it away from people who can use it for self-defense, for legal and non-aggressive reasons. Intangibly, the harm is the diminution of social freedom and its accompanying individual responsibility for self-defense, which shifts things more toward reliance on government for protection, removing a kind of individual safety net against criminals that is available with private gun ownership.

Of course, pre-crime enforcement has actually started in Western China, so if the gubmint can stop the baddies before they even get out the door, then there's no need to pry anything out of our cold dead hands.
Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:15 am

A small school district in Washing State has armed teachers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y69CYw1xtD4
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic