Autogenic Training

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Autogenic Training

Postby Yeung on Fri May 04, 2018 1:39 pm

My worry is that people gone into a trance when practicing meditation on their own. AT seems to tell people to ignore the various thought come to mind but what about seeing a vision or something? You did talk about trance, please elaborate a bit more on the subject but not in a religious context.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sun May 06, 2018 1:03 pm

There is little to worry about. Part of the AT instructional canon is that no one is to do AT who is currently psychotic. That takes away a lot of risks. I think that if qigong teachers would look for a few signs of such trouble beforehand there would be fewer cases of qigong disorder. In both cases, the risk is increased somato-psychical activity acting as a trigger for trouble that was lurking already.

There is an advanced level in AT in which the exercises actually try to bring forth visualizations of people and situations. Such exercises are beyond my interests, for I do not consider them useful, but they show that the trainee is in control and can actually call forth something like visions, in a controlled manner.

In my own experience, when unbidden and unwanted mental imagery occurs during AT, which happens rarely, I can get rid of it either by directing my attention to other thoughts, or by passively observing the imagery as if seeing a movie, understanding that if it even has any intelligible meaning, it is unreal in the sense a dream is unreal. The mental imagery shortly evaporates in either case.

To touch very briefly on the religious angle, very few dreams and visions are of deep religious significance. The religious authorities have, over the centuries, become practiced in reviewing false alarms.
Last edited by klonk on Sun May 06, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun May 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Dr. Micah Sadigh has done a good job of showing that the trance state of AT is in the twilit borderland between asleep and awake. It is not a strange or unfamiliar place. Everyone passes through it when falling asleep and again when waking up.
Last edited by klonk on Sun May 06, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Mon May 07, 2018 3:10 am

Your experience provided a clearer understanding of passive concentration, and most practitioners of Qigong that I came across also using similar practice. There are exceptions, as some experienced supernatural power as they followed the various suggestion that came to mind. And there are those gone into trance under the supervision of a master which might find themselves manipulated by his or her suggestions. There are the religious practice of prayers but that is beyond the practice of meditation.

Oh, internal martial art (the type that do not use brute force) uses eccentric muscle contraction and elastic energy of muscle.
Yeung
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic