The Carnivore Diet?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: The Carnivore Diet?

Postby Trick on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:55 pm

The links won't open for me, but thanks for that info
Trick

Postby Patrick on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:31 am

@greg

My diet is a plant based diet, and I was even a vegetarian for a long time. I eat very little meat, but a lot of eggs and milk products. I wish I could eat more fish, but it is just too expensive.

I have only a problem with real veganism. A vegan diet is unhealthy and is often full of artificial and enriched foods, because otherwise it is not sustainable. Of course I have no problem if someone wants to be vegan for whatever reasons, as long as they don´t state "its so healthy and so natural"
Last edited by Patrick on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby middleway on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:03 am

I think calling it artificial it a bit of a stretch, it is plant based vs animal based.

It is a big thing out here. Looks, feels, and tastes like meat but it isn't and it isn't artificial.

This is the type of thing they sell out here at Butcher's Son in Berekely.

Looks really tasty! Unfortunately most 'Meat Alternatives' are Soy Based which is not great for men.

The problem i had when i was Vegan was as Patrick Pointed out. It simply wasnt a healthy choice for me. Also it is probably the worst diet on the planet for the 'ego' ;) It often becomes an integral part of someones identity, and much grandstanding often results!

The Methane issue is interesting, as stated, currently there are less quadrapeds on the planet than before humans arrived in the Americas. But further, where there is healthy pasture land there are bacteria in the soil that feed on a large percentage of the methane produced by cattle. The problem of course is that Factory farming and meat production is a disgusting mess of cruelty and poor animal, land and ethical practices, so we end up with problems that nature would ordinarily solve.

My mother was a in veterinary microbiology for 50 years and is still responsible for reviewing papers in that field. The american model of meat production is vastely different to the likes of the UK. There is almost no use of antibiotics or growth factors in the UK unless a specific animal is sick, farmers simply arent wealthy enough to afford them! This is good for us of course and our Dairy is quite different as a result too. Also even the meat that is not explicitly 'grass fed' is, in fact, largely grass fed and 'grain finished'. Also happily cattle are not finished on Corn, again we dont have a Corn industry like the USA.

My diet is a plant based diet, and I was even a vegetarian for a long time. I eat very little meat, but a lot of eggs and milk products. I wish I could eat more fish, but it is just too expensive.

I have only a problem with real veganism. A vegan diet is unhealthy and is often full of artificial and enriched foods, because otherwise it is not sustainable. Of course I have no problem if someone wants to be vegan for whatever reasons, as long as they don´t state "its so healthy and so natural"

I couldnt have said it better myself, the only difference is that i eat meat or fish at least once a day.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:04 am

If you do not mind me asking...which fish? Normally I would try to buy organic fish from a fish farm or a local fishery, but my wallet says no. ;D
So my options are often Mackerel or trout (as a whole). A little smoked Salmon is also affordable.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:09 am

+1 on European meat. Grass fed tastes better and is healthier. Afa feed, we've destroyed most of our Meadowlands. Grazing animals no longer have a variety of foods. Cows aren't eating weeds, for example. In fact, many people have never seen a Meadow. Miles of corn rows are pretty, but sad.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 am

If you do not mind me asking...which fish? Normally I would try to buy organic fish from a fish farm or a local fishery, but my wallet says no. ;D
So my options are often Mackerel or trout (as a whole). A little smoked Salmon is also affordable.

Mackerel normally, I think its a super underrated fish and is very cheap. Sometimes White fish like Haddock too, sometimes Sea Bass but thats pretty pricey. My other half hates fish so I only normally end up having it when we are handling our own meals seperately, due to our training schedules , thats a couple of times a week. :)
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:08 am

Patrick wrote:@greg

I am with you. According my friend, I haven't verified it myself, the definition of vegan is being vegan to end the suffering of all sentient beings. Which I too take issue with because Buddhists, Sikhs, Hindus and others have long been strict vegetarians, obviously some more than others, but did not feel the need for a new word to give themselves a new title.

Also as far as the forms of Buddhism I studied although they were vegetarian they were not strict about it and did not force it on anyone which seems very different from the vegan activist I know who takes pride in getting arrested by protesting for his cause.

Like you, I also think that small amount of meat will not cause a heart attack or clog arteries. I believe that a hundreds of years ago meat was most often seen in large amouts only at fancy feasts, holidays and special ocassions. Yet with modern meat production now large amounts of meat are common with every meal which was never meant to be.

With my own "50/50" diet when I do eat meat it is usually a small amount just to add some flavor and protein. Seafood is preferred, then chicken if there is no seafood, or perhaps a small amount of pork but rarely beef because the portions tend to be big otherwise I may have a small amount and go without meat for the rest of day.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:20 am

Trick wrote:
grzegorz wrote: For example, I know a vegan who will leave the table if you put creamer in your coffee.

Aren't those creamers such as coffee-mate non dairy? Tell your friend to sit down and join the company, there's nothing to worry about 8-)

I wish it were that easy. I told him I thought it was senseless to not sit with family and and friends because of their individual food choices and he said he did not want to be at a table full of dead animals. It became obvious that his actions were meant to start a debate at every meal. The next time he did sit with us because he was introducing us to his new girlfriend, I haven't seen or heard from him since then. I think he is upset at himself that he did because he said he took a vow yet he took a vow for his first marriage which he left behind. What are you going to do...?

Here is an event he got arrested at.

Watch "CHINATOWN: Animal Rights Activists Free Chicken From San Francisco Chinatown Market" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/3qtR-UW60RY

I had a much more positive view of veganism before all this. But seeing his posts on facebook and that of his vegan friends has rubbed me the wrong way. I know they don't speak for all vegans but I also don't think their diet works for everyone.

I also find it interesting because I compost, grow all kinds of fruit trees and veggies yet my friend (who doesn't grow anything) claims that he is the one saving the planet.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:13 am

Patrick wrote:If you do not mind me asking...which fish? Normally I would try to buy organic fish from a fish farm or a local fishery, but my wallet says no. ;D

I personally like cooking with anchovies and eat mackerel 2-3 times a week. They are good wild fish.I also eat herring, sardines and tuna fairly regularly. If it is MSC certified it will be coming from a sustainable fishery.

AFA aquaculture the national aquarium in the US just rolled out a new campaign also supported by NOAA and the Monterey Bay Aquarium

http://www.aqua.org/care/conservation-initiatives/seafood-smart
Last edited by vadaga on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Smoked mackerel on bread is very good.

You can find it in Polish and Jewish food shops.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:22 pm

a mainstay of my diet at present as well is this particular item
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:07 am

unfortunately mackerels eats lot of plastic and polluted shit from the ocean,
tuna as the predator is on the end of the feeding chain too, so , their meat collecting lot of the toxins,
fish from Baltic sea are so polluted, that eating more than one hearing a week can be hazardous for your health!
My shot is, that we have to avoid eating food from polluted seas for couple of years.

Canned food is quite bad idea from healthy diet point of v. too

I use , for ex., pumpkins seeds oil - lot of the good fatty acids :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 am

middleway wrote:
With that said, i am really intrigued by this carnivore diet ... so may give it a go for a month. We have an amazing local butcher/farm shop so i can guarantee the meat quality is high and can also get organ meats etc.

will keep yall posted.

Any feedback?
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby middleway on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:19 am

Any feedback?

Yep ... i havnt started yet! haha.

I get married this Saturday and the usual arrangements/stresses that go along with that + the honeymoon in Portugal surrounded by amazing food and wine made me rethink my start date.

I will be looking at doing it either in may or June :)
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:24 am

Congratulations, Chris!
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic