Cut-resistant gloves

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Cut-resistant gloves

Postby klonk on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:11 am

Another unobtrusive advantage. They're from the food industry, meant to prevent self-inflicted injuries. They're knitted from cut-resistant yarn such as Kevlar or Spectra. Note that they are not cut proof, only cut resistant, but they offer rather a tough surface to cut through. They offer no meaningful stab resistance at all. They are, though, very abrasion-resistant.

It occurred to me that such a thing could be useful in defending against a knife wielder. It would be dangerous to try to block with the gloved hand (not fully cut proof, not even a little bit stab resistant) but a parrying deflection might well succeed. At the least, the gloves would make it less risky when trying to intercept the assailant's forearm.

Just another little item that would go unnoticed at weapon-free* locations, along with your mini-Maglite ersatz kubotan or whatever artful dodges you think up.

*Meaning, of course, that only intentional malefactors have weapons there, which seems to me a poor idea.
Last edited by klonk on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Cut-resistant gloves

Postby .Q. on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:41 am

I doubt you'll have time to put on gloves while under stress. I'd say flashlight is a good idea.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 am

I use them when I sharpen my blades and swords. They'd also be good when light sparring with sharp swords. However, I'm not sure they'd stand up to heavy sword slashes.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:04 am

Wade-Giles sells gloves for handling barbed wire, they're supposed to be puncture-proof.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:34 am

Many years ago I read an article in a major American MA magazine, the interviewed GungFu master said for unarmed defence against knife attack - to put ones shoes on the hands ??
Trick

Postby KEND on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:40 am

I remember years ago practicing with David Chan[who was in the meat business], we would wear steel mesh gloves, they worked well
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:46 am

Trick wrote:Many years ago I read an article in a major American MA magazine, the interviewed GungFu master said for unarmed defence against knife attack - to put ones shoes on the hands ??

Yes, I've seen that demonstrated. Another good one is to take your belt off and swing the buckle into the attackers face.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:56 am

Ron Panunto wrote:Yes, I've seen that demonstrated. Another good one is to take your belt off and swing the buckle into the attackers face.

Jim Rockford used that trick a few times. 8-)
Michael

Postby middleway on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:12 am

For self defence i think its just the illusion of safety as per most improv weapon stuff IMO.

I always say 'use the thing you train the most with' and aim to KO or disable the person ASAP. For me thats my hands and i dont think i could hit someone as hard with anything i carry around day to day as i could with my fist.

Would be cool to wear for training with semi sharps though i think.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic