living the life

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

living the life

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fOFLKeOgHg

Was very impressed with their command of the language
something I sorely lack but am working hard to rectify
windwalker
Wuji

Re: living the life

Postby Strange on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:34 pm

FWIW, my encouragement! :)
some accuse me of being arrogant, cryptic, exclusive
but never stop to think how analyzing a chinese art using western concept might look to a chinese
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Re: living the life

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:26 pm

A question

I had asked my teachers grand son a question one time some yrs back in Beijing.
He remarked that's a very western outlook, we don't approach it like that here.

It struck me at the time even though having more or less grown up in a Chinese community outside of china in the US and interacting with
the people and culture from young age till now even with my interactions maybe I didn't quite understand as much as I felt I did even feeling part of it. Very much a stranger in a strange land growing up in the US

A pause for reflection

Now teaching CMA in Taiwan. in working with my student his back ground both in taiji and western physics, along with having a native chinese perspective has been invaluable in comparing old taiji text with modern physics theories aligning them with both. Translating both into basic examples that none physicist can understand and chinese readers can read.
葉先生,或是他要我稱呼他為TJ,一位我非常好的朋友與長期的太極練習者。他是機械工程的教授,也是我在台灣的第一個同時也是唯一的學生。TJ對我在這個部落格的“工作”有很寶貴的貢獻。他經常提起我們正在做的工作非常像在進行一項研究計畫。他具有東方太極拳和西方物理學的背景,加上他的中華文化本土觀點,對將古代太極拳經拳論與現代物理學理論兩者做比較與對照具有很大的幫助。 他將兩者都翻譯成簡單基本的例子,使不僅非物理學者可以理解,華人讀者也可以閱讀。

I do agree that being able to directly understand and contrast can add and give
a perspective that otherwise might be very hard to get....On the other hand being an outsider one might question things that are taken for granted with out really understanding the why, what and how behind them..... ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic