So long, Conor...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: So long, Conor...

Postby grzegorz on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Considering that green card holding war veterans are being deported then Connor too should be deported and barred from ever coming back.

But we live in a country where the rich have a separate justice system and although you and I would be banned from the US (if we had the same immigration status) I doubt Connor with his millions ever will.

Time will tell, they say we are a nation of laws and some actually believe it.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Well, it's not unlikely that he'll plead down from the felony to a second or third degree misdemeanor. He'll be able to get off with probation and a fine, which will give him the opportunity to work and pay the civil suits.

I think calls for his deportation would be met with evidence that he is a productive, sometime resident. In jail, he just costs the state.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:06 am

Who would be the complainant in a felony charge? I don't think there will be any complainants at all.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:35 am

Michael wrote:Who would be the complainant in a felony charge? I don't think there will be any complainants at all.

The owner of the destroyed property, obviously; if the damage to the bus/vehicle was greater than $X, felony charges can be given. But, there are different levels of felony, and they can always be negotiated down. So, the owner of the vehicle could refuse to press charges; however, I'm not sure that would prevent the State from filing charges.

The problem is that the act is caught on videotape. Indictments in criminal cases are always stated as "The People of the State of NY v ... Conor McGregor." If the crime is caught on tape, it will almost automatically result in an indictment from the grand jury. The AD will decide on the charge, starting with the most serious and possibly adding several "lesser included" charges.

For ex., it'll be easy for the AD to show the video and tell the jury what's required to issue a "true bill" (an indictment). If the AD charges Conor with "criminal mischief" --that led to the destruction of property in the amount of $X-- and that that violates NYS Penal Code section "xxx.xx (1), don't you think the Grand Jury will indict? You remember the old saying that an AD can "indict a ham sandwich." It's true. I've served on Grand Juries.

However, there's criminal mischief 1st degree, which might be a felony (of class a, b, c, d, or e); and there's criminal mischief in the 3rd degree, which might be a misdemeanor. At trial, a regular jury might decide that he's only guilty of a misdemeanor. Or, to avoid a trial altogether, he might plead out to the lesser offense. I.e., to a first degree misdemeanor, rather than to a third degree felony.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Excerpt from A Brooklyn lawyer explains what happens next for Conor McGregor after New York arrest, https://www.joe.ie/sport/brooklyn-lawye ... gor-622125
OLI DUGMORE on April 10, 2018 wrote:If he were your client, how would you advise he plea?

I'd have to take a look at all of the evidence. If the case can be defended in some form, then a trial should be on the table. As all defence lawyers know, however, video evidence is very hard to refute, so that's one hurdle that sticks out already. But again, the case just started. No evidence has been disclosed yet by the prosecution. Once it is, then the lawyers will really have to make that decision.

If he pleads guilty, what will happen? What kind of sentence can be expected?

If he pleads guilty, in my view, he will likely avoid jail time. He has no criminal history it seems and the charges are not terribly severe, for felonies. More importantly, however, if he pleads to something that leaves him with a criminal record, that can affect his ability to re-enter the US. Obviously, that's hugely important because Conor makes his fortune fighting for an American company, with most of its shows in the US. But in terms of jail time, it's very highly unlikely that Conor will ever see any jail time in this case.

If he pleads not guilty, what will happen?

If Conor continues to plead 'not guilty' and refuses to engage in ANY plea negotiations, then the case will go to trial. If he's convicted at trial, it's entirely possible that he'll be sentenced to jail time, particularly due to the felony charges. Something tells me a plea will be worked out in this case to avoid any such risks.

Excerpt from Will Conor McGregor do jail time for bus attack? Former New York prosecutors say it's unlikely, https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/u ... 496202002/:
Josh Peter on April 7, 2018 wrote:. . . Two other former New York prosecutors said they think McGregor will strike a plea deal that reduces the charges to a single misdemeanor and possibly results in no conviction.

“But for his celebrity status, it’s just a run-of-the-mill case,’’ said William Kephart, a former prosecutor in Long Island. “People get into arguments and things get broken, fists are flying more times than not. …

"I would think given the fact that assault charges are misdemeanors and the most serious charge is criminal mischief, it’s unlikely he would face jail time.’’

Steven Raiser, another former New York prosecutor, said the charges are “generally not too serious.’’

“The good news for McGregor is that the most serious charge is the property damage charge,’’ he said by email. “With no prior criminal history, this will be reduced as part of a plea.’’

The District Attorney’s office has six months to indict McGregor and present the case to a grand jury before the case could potentially be dismissed, Rendelman said. McGregor’s next scheduled court date is June 14. Before then, the former prosecutors say, McGregor’s attorney is expected to initiate talks with the District Attorney’s office.

A key focus will be McGregor’s immigration status because any conviction could restrict the fighter’s ability to travel in the United States, said the former prosecutors, who noted McGregor’s defense attorney likely will be working with an immigration attorney.

Rendelman said the District Attorney’s office in Brooklyn generally is sensitive to immigration issues, but she also said, “Keep in mind, no one likes someone coming to Brooklyn and doing something that kind of damages the community. So that’s also something they’re going to take into consideration because there is some level of disrespect for him doing what he did and (it was) dangerous on top of everything.’’

Raiser said McGregor’s celebrity status could work in the fighter’s favor.

“Because he is a high-profile athlete, there is a lot of good he can do with the youth,’’ Raiser said. “If the DA is smart, they’ll work out a deal which will involve him giving back to the community.’’

MMAFightingonSBN
Published on Apr 11, 2018

Ray Borg speaks to Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour about the Conor McGregor bus attack at UFC 223, his eye injury from the incident, what's next for his career, and much more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWDIgvsFTY
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:31 pm

As I predicted:

UFC star Conor McGregor pleaded guilty to a single violation of disorderly conduct in Brooklyn criminal court Thursday, for his involvement in an incident on April 5 at Barclays Center.

McGregor, 30, entered the plea as part of a deal worked out with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office. The agreement involves no jail time and will not affect McGregor's travel visa. He will not have a criminal record.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/2419 ... -part-deal
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:50 am

Not surprising, but disappointing, both in terms of the legal system and the UFC.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:16 am

every system is set up for people of means and power.

govt by the people for the people didn't change it.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:24 pm

I don't think he was treated this way because of his power or wealth. He was treated this way because he is a profit-making machine for others. It didn't take a high-powered attorney to negotiate a plea agreement. The DA could have forced the matter go to trial, but it would just cost the state money.

Conor's only real punishment would be banishment from the UFC. I suspect it's more likely that he'll get a bout that will have a big pay per view box office. It might even be a free tv event. The advertising revenue would be nice.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:44 am

CALGARY - It appears Conor McGregor's punishment will end with the courts.

On Friday, UFC President Dana White all but confirmed that McGregor won't face any additional discipline from the promotion for his involvement in the infamous April bus attack directed at Khabib Nurmagomedov.

In the immediate aftermath of McGregor throwing a dolly through a fighter bus window at UFC 223 media day, White called the incident "the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company." Prior to McGregor reaching a plea agreement this week, White said it was possible "The Notorious" would receive additional discipline from the UFC once the legal process played out.

It seems, however, that McGregor's sentencing of five days of community service and three days of anger management, as well as restitution for the damage he caused, will suffice. When asked by MMAjunkie if McGregor would face further repercussions, White was vague in his answer.

"Conor has faced a lot of repercussions," White said after UFC on FOX 30 weigh-ins. "Conor has lost a lot of money and a lot of time. Conor and I are good. We're good."

With McGregor's court case now a thing of the past, the former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion is cleared to resume his fighting career. All signs point to a title shot against current 155-pound champion Nurmagomedov (26-0 MMA, 10-0 UFC), which White hopes will happen "sooner than later."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:40 am

Steve James wrote:I don't think he was treated this way because of his power or wealth. He was treated this way because he is a profit-making machine for others. It didn't take a high-powered attorney to negotiate a plea agreement. The DA could have forced the matter go to trial, but it would just cost the state money.

Conor's only real punishment would be banishment from the UFC. I suspect it's more likely that he'll get a bout that will have a big pay per view box office. It might even be a free tv event. The advertising revenue would be nice.

Conor McGregor vs Khabib Nurmagomedov targeted for UFC 229 October 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKm8RsF5jpM
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Conor lucked out big time. I do wonder if this will hurt him with his fan base or not.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:20 pm

He's lost me as a fan. I'm sure he's heartbroken....

Floyd Mayweather has had multiple arrests for domestic violence against different women. It's never affected his popularity, even here on RSF, where so many claim to practice with the intent of protecting others, so I doubt Conor will be affected by what he did.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Bhassler wrote:He's lost me as a fan. I'm sure he's heartbroken....

Floyd Mayweather has had multiple arrests for domestic violence against different women. It's never affected his popularity, even here on RSF, where so many claim to practice with the intent of protecting others, so I doubt Conor will be affected by what he did.

I watch fights because of the fighters' skills, less on their personalities.

Both Floyd's and Conor's popularity are due in part to their polarizing personalities, as well as their skills. Many people watch to see them lose.
marvin8
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic