tree "heartbeat"

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

tree "heartbeat"

Postby everything on Wed May 02, 2018 7:21 pm

https://returntonow.net/2018/04/29/tree ... -discover/

basically tree limbs observed moving up and down in super slow mo.

possibly trees pump water up to leaves, but no one knows how.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: tree "heartbeat"

Postby Peacedog on Wed May 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Doesn’t surprise me.

I know a series of tree meditations and in several parts a distinct upwards pumping sensation is generated.

Nice to see some confirmation though.
Last edited by Peacedog on Wed May 02, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed May 02, 2018 10:15 pm

everything wrote:https://returntonow.net/2018/04/29/trees-have-a-heartbeat-scientists-discover/

basically tree limbs observed moving up and down in super slow mo.

possibly trees pump water up to leaves, but no one knows how.

Its said to be done through transportation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5gGwASEpaY
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 pm

I think that previous theory thinks the movement is "continuous" but now, these researchers think it is not continuous. I added the emphasis.
Until now, scientists thought water moved through trees by osmosis, in a somewhat continuous manner.

Now they’ve discovered the trunks and branches of trees are actually contracting and expanding to “pump” water up from the roots to the leaves, similar to the way our heart pumps blood through our bodies.

The only difference between our pulse and a tree’s is a tree’s is much slower, “beating” once every two hours or so, and instead of regulating blood pressure, the heartbeat of a tree, regulates water pressure.

We’ve discovered that most trees have regular periodic changes in shape, synchronized across the whole plant … which imply periodic changes in water pressure,” András Zlinszky of Aarhus University in the Netherlands told New Scientist.

In his 2017 study, Zlinszky and his colleague Anders Barfod used terrestrial laser scanning to monitor 22 tree species to see how the shape of their canopies changed.

The measurements were taken in greenhouses at night to rule out sun and wind as factors in the trees’ movements.

In several of the trees, branches moved up and down by about a centimeter or so every couple of hours.

Here is the changing of movement charted in a magnolia tree.
Here’s the change of movement charted in a magnolia tree. (Photo: András Zlinszky/Twitter)

After studying the nocturnal tree activity, the researchers came up with a theory about what the movement means. They believe the motion is an indication that trees are pumping water up from their roots. It is, in essence, a type of “heartbeat.”

Zlinszky and Barfod explain their theory in their newest study in the journal Plant Signaling and Behavior.

In classical plant physiology, most transport processes are explained as constant flows with negligible fluctuation in time,” Zlinszky told New Scientist. “No fluctuations with periods shorter than 24 hours are assumed or explained by current models.”

But the researchers still don’t fully understand how the “pumping” motion works. They suggest maybe the trunk gently squeezes the water, pushing it upwards through the xylem, a system of tissue in the trunk whose main job is to transport water and nutrients from roots to shoots and leaves.
Last edited by everything on Wed May 02, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed May 02, 2018 10:25 pm

This could maybe become a problem for some vegetarians
Trick

Postby everything on Wed May 02, 2018 10:29 pm

it doesn't have an actual heart ... but i don't know where people draw the line. ;D
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed May 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Yeah, for the veggies with a too soft heart it could be a troublesome issue to eat veggies
Trick

Postby everything on Thu May 03, 2018 7:36 pm

hahaha yeah.

I tell them to eat fish. Those fish are likely going to die by being eaten, one way or another. The tree, maybe, maybe not.
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu May 03, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks for posting.

I remember hearing that trees shows signs of stress when another tree is removed or heavily pruned.

Anyone who gardens probably won't be surprised to hear this. I know for me seeing one of my trees die or removing a live tree is not done without a heavy heart.

One interesting note, avocado trees actually "sweat" on hot days.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu May 03, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri May 04, 2018 12:10 pm

They just showed a good doco on trees by July den he here in Australia
It uses scientific instruments to show many aspects of tree life
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic