Vodka Wars

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Vodka Wars

Postby grzegorz on Mon May 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Been comparing vodkas and looking for any recommendations.

I am finding that the grape based vodkas have less of a burn and as a result are smoother. Cirac, Napa Distillery, and other California brands come to mind.

Rye based as nice too and have more flavor. Prawda and Belvedere are too rye based vodkas.

I had Kettle One and can't figure what all the rage is about but then again it was next too Cirac, Tito's and the Hawaiian Ocean vodka.

Still have to try Russian standard, was about to pick one up but then saw a bottle of Russian Standard Platinum Vodka and could not decide which to try but will try it soon.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Vodka Wars

Postby grzegorz on Sun May 20, 2018 4:29 pm

FWIW it is worth, in my research of the world's finest vodka I found out that Costco's French made Kirkland Vodka (not the American one) is basically Grey Goose. Of course Costco refutes this (probably for legal reaaons) but it is basically made at another French Cognac distillery for a fraction of the price and without the fancy bottle.

Last edited by grzegorz on Sun May 20, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon May 21, 2018 12:27 am

Never tasted the jet-set Gray Goose, if you want to explore a working class distilled beverage you can try Explorer-Vodka, in my younger days it also went by the name "Raggar svett" translated to English something as Rocker/biker sweat...Only 37,5% alcohol so many "Raggare" actually prefer HB(Hembränt)/(Home distilled).......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer_Vodka
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Mon May 21, 2018 1:09 am

Thanks Trick!

I will keep an eye out, especially the next time I am in Europe. The idea of a government manufactured vodka is fascinating.

I bought that big 1.75L bottle of Kirkland for only $20! Which is $10 less (if not more) than a .75L of Grey Goose. I almost tempted to buy a Grey Goose just to bottle the Kirkland. LOL! But that bottle is more than I am willing to pay.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon May 21, 2018 3:28 am

First time I heard(read) about Grey-Goose was in a vampire novel I read some time ago :) the character drank Grey-Goose seemingly from morning till night, or night till bedtime/coffin-time rather :) ....So one day down at the local Wall-Mart I "just happened" to pass by the liquor shelves and there I saw some bottles of GG, my wife caught up with me and asked if I wanted but then she saw the prize and said it was way too expensive, I said yes, yes you're right and I put back the bottle :) . But then she got her eyes on a bottle of Baileys a liqueur she has gotten a taste for, so a bottle of Baileys it was...much much cheaper too so double happiness for my wife :)
Trick

Postby Bao on Mon May 21, 2018 5:49 am

For maybe ten, fifteen years ago I read that the most common grammar or wrong spelling mistake amongst young people in the US was to spell absolute without the "E". Pretty funny. Wonder if that is true today as well. I've tested some vodkas, but I absolutly do prefer Absolut. :)
Last edited by Bao on Mon May 21, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon May 21, 2018 10:42 am

Absolut is absolutely the most renown Swedish vodka worldwide, but the most popular(and maybe finest)Swedish vodka in Sweden I would guess still is Renat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renat For Grzegorz I would like to continue this little promotion of Scandinavian vodkas by also recommending Finlandia and Koskenkorva from Finland, Finlandia vodka I think have reached same international status as Absolut vodka has so maybe it's to be found in the US too.......Not an vodka but still worth mentioning when talking Swedish spirits is Aquavit a spicy liquor with a long tradition in Sweden https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.P._Anderson
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Mon May 21, 2018 10:58 am

Funny about Absolut. I am not surprised, Absolut and Findlandia can be found in every store here. Yet I have not tried them yet. My in-laws were here from Europe, which is why my location is Eastern Bloc because with my older relatives it is still the Eastern Bloc. So bascially I have been showing them all kinds of vodkas here which are not available in former communist Europe which to my surprise included Kettle One.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 am

I will explore the Northern vodkas next. Are they mostly made from wheat?

I have had some good Polish vodkas made from Rye and to my surprise some of which can't be found in Poland.

I found confirmation of why Kirkland tastes like Grey Goose.

Both vodkas are made in the Cognac region of France. Both Kirkland and Grey Goose are made in Cognac with distillation techniques sourced from the neighboring Cognac houses. The vodkas are five times distilled in a state of the art distilleries. Both are made from 100% fine French wheat. Both use pure artesian spring water originating in the Massif Mountains of France. This water flows into cognac after being filtered naturally through champagne limestone leaving it rich in minerals and flavor.

In my comparison Kirkland is slightly sweeter than Grey Goose.

https://www.chowhound.com/post/grey-goo ... 475?page=2

How is Svedka?
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon May 21, 2018 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:56 am

Humboldt's non-flavored vodka is great and made from sugar cane.

I would like to try there Cannabis flavored.

Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:30 am

Finally tried Absolut, Russian Standard and one from Iceland.

I can see why Absolut is one the world's favorites. A very nice vodka.

I was very impressed with Russian Standard as well. That one definitely keeps you warm at night and has a nice flavor.

My brother-in-law is in town and I have been bringing out different vodkas out from the woodwork. What is interesting is that even though he is from a country with a vodka tradition for him they all tastes the same.

Reyka good too!

Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:13 pm

That Icelandic vodka seem exotic. Probably what the Scotch Whisky producer "William Grant & Sons" though when they came up with the idea of an Icelandic vodka
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 pm

It does have a nice flavor. I think anyone would be happy with it.

Could be me but somehow it tasted the way it was sold on the bottle where they outline the process.

There is an organic vodka called Blue from Hawaii which is very expensive but it was just the opposite. When I had it there was nothing special for me anyhow, it was not bad but for the price I expected more.

I found a bottle of the Swedish some Svedka (sp?). I am looking forward to trying that. To my surprise I found a place that sells the small bottles of it for a low price. Funny how (here) if you had that bottle in your hand people would assume it was just water since it is the same size as a small water bottle.

Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 12 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:55 am

Never heard of the Swedka Vodka, but then I’ve been away from Sweden for 12 years. It’s owned by a New York based company since 2007 but produced by Lantmännen an Swedish agricultural cooperative....Living in China I think “exotic” spirits such as the Icelandic one and similar could be a thing to introduce here
Trick

Return to Off the Topic