Physicians vs. UPS

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Physicians vs. UPS

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Isn't China requesting a BA to teach ESL and for teachers to actually come from an English speaking country?

Makes sense to me. Of course it will take years to fully implement and some schools will always work around the law or not care but to me it makes perfect sense. Someone with a degree put in years of hard work studying and showing up to class whereas with the random people they hired when I was there you never knew what you were going to get and basically most teachers were backpackers who needed some cash who spoke some English. Not a bad thing but not a standard that is for sure.

I don't think ollege is necessary but I also think there is a good reason why education is becoming so expensive in the US and that is because (like China) when people become more educated and knowledgable they start questioning their government and demand changes.

For me you can't go wrong with more training, more education and more certifications. I got a class A CDL and even though I don't drive a big rig my driving skills are a lot better as a result of trucking school which was a lot tougher than I imagined.

But whatever. I just don't undertand the anti-education attitude and I want to clarify that this isn't that as much as a way of showing to people that there are other good jobs out there.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:20 pm

I am happy to say that as of yesterday I am finally a full time UPS driver.

It was long hard road which I am sharing here since many know I did the ESL thing in China (to study kungfu) came back and spent over a decade trying to find a good job.

Now I will post Azer's photoshopped photo of me he found on linkedin.

Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:33 pm

Congrats on making it as a UPS driver. I hope that's a really good gig for you and that your CMA skills will provide at least one benefit, that you'll know how to maintain your body in a physically demanding job.

I don't think anyone is anti-education, it's just that some education systems have so many drawbacks, such as China's, that they do more harm than good. In the USA, the cost of college has been likened to debt slavery, which is an objective problem, and the increase in degrees that do not require even basic personal discipline, the ones Klonk rightly calls grievance studies, they promote degrees that are overall more detrimental to the individual at every level than not having gone to college at all.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:52 am

Don't want a degree in grievance studies? Then don't get one.

Does said person have any type of advanced degree? Or is this just his opinion?

I blame Reagan. College used to be free in California and people used to move here from around the country and go to Berkeley for free. Yet once educated the people had grievances against the government wondering why the hell we were in Vietnam.

As far as the costs of college that is the idea. 1, Make it unaffordable. 2, Attack and criticize the hell out of college so less people will want to go. Guess what? It worked. So now working class people are blaming a refugee children from Central America (which "we" broke) instead of the costs of a college education and the dismantling of unions for getting in the way of their upward mobility. Yet blaming immigrants has done nothing to improve the working man's situation or raised their wages but education and unions have.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:04 am, edited 10 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:34 am

Great news on the UPS driver position. Stay healthy and ride it for all it is worth. Pun intended.

Do they have a retirement plan and if so, what are the qualifiers?

As for the rising cost of education, keep in mind that is almost entirely the result of a massive increase in administrative positions.

I would also add that no society can survive allowing their children to be taught to hate their society. And that, generally speaking, is the main problem with allowing grievance study type degrees.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks Michael and Peace.

After 5 years you are vested for retirement. As for collecting retirement I believe it is when your age and years of service add up to 80. So someone who starts at 21 can retire at 51 but if that person does 35 they will get full retirement or max out of course many keep working.

As to grievance studies, I think it is important for people to be taught the true history of their country instead of what is usually taught in history books. I don't believe we are a great country as much as we are a big and powerful country but US history is normally taught to make our children patriotic.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Although when I retire I will leave again. I do appreciate the fact that I live in a country where people are free to discuss grievances in both public and private collages. Try discussing the Tiananmen Square massacre as a college professor in the PRC and it won't end well.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:17 pm

For the college-going, there are some studies (sorry not to google right now) that show a much higher correlation between major and employment/salary than in prestige, etc. of the university. The millenials and younger seem to recognize these patterns vs. the times when getting into some big name school and studying whatever seemed sufficient. Now there is a kind of mental arms race among the nerdy folks where one needs a PhD to be a "data scientist" or software engineer. But of course, those who can succeed in sales will make the biggest money, which is another topic. (I'm not including hedge fund manager outliers).

Congrats on the UPS gig.
Last edited by everything on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks, I had no idea it would take over a decade to land a good job.

Yes, as for college I recall taking a one credit course on camping. To my surprise they were students there getting their degrees in parks and recreation yet it became obvious that many chose parks and rec because they were convinced of or wanted the college experience and chose the easiest degree available. It was sad and pathetic. I am sure some made use of it but many probabaly didn't realize that saying you have a degree in parks in rec in a job interview unrelated to parks and rec is pretty much pointless. Some people think a degree is necessary when actually it is the right degree that is necessary or if nothing else something you want to spend a lifetime studying. These people were doing themselves a disservice.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:10 pm

Congratulations Greg!

PS @Ian

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:SNIP JP, AJ, and JH.

Who are these three. I do wonder if it is a podcast that a friend of mine listens to rather zealously...
Last edited by vadaga on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:09 am

Jordan Peterson, Alex Jones, and Jonathan Haidt.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:56 pm

Never heard of Jonathan Haidt, but he must be interesting if Ian thinks he's a heretic. :P :D
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:55 pm

Thanks Daniel!

I never imagined it would take so long to land a career.

Are you still way up North?

Peacedog wrote:I would also add that no society can survive allowing their children to be taught to hate their society.

Funny, when I read this I thought it was going to be a call to action to take out President Propecia.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic