Getting science on your side

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Getting science on your side

Postby willie on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Recently, I've been involved in many debates which I believe to be non-constructive.
I have found that most of those debates were filled with faulty information. (Especially taiji and weightlifting).
Seeing how it is impossible and undesirable to approach non-approachable people, I've decided to make video's that are
backed by science instead.
willie

Re: Getting science on your side

Postby willie on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:45 am

The word acknowledgment means,
1. acceptance of the truth.
2. The action of expressing gratitude or appreciation.

willie

Postby everything on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:21 pm

do you have a tldr you want us to comment on? I'm not a scientist, but I grew up in a "science town" (where almost all my friends' parents were scientists) and have some training in stats. There is actual scientific method of study supported by statistical methods (to reject that a pattern is due to random mathematical chance) which is about rejecting the null hypothesis (nothing is technically ever proven), and then there is "science".
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby willie on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:57 pm

everything wrote:do you have a tldr you want us to comment on? I'm not a scientist, but I grew up in a "science town" (where almost all my friends' parents were scientists) and have some training in stats. There is actual scientific method of study supported by statistical methods (to reject that a pattern is due to random mathematical chance) which is about rejecting the null hypothesis (nothing is technically ever proven), and then there is "science".

Interesting.
I've found that the information that I acquired seems to work very well.
Although I have lifted weights for a long time, I believe that by remaining humble and learning from those scientist's has helped me
to shape my own work out.
I really cant figure out why this topic isn't part of the main discussion. Every martial artist will benefit from resistance training, Yes, even Taiji.
Thanks
P.S. If I had the type of information that I put in these video's years ago, it would have saved me a lot of time and effort.
Last edited by willie on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby everything on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Sorry not to have fully watched your videos, but if information from scientific studies helps, I agree it seems like a good idea to use it!

For the "mysterious" stuff in taiji, qigong, and TCM, I don't believe scientific studies will be able to explain certain phenomena related mainly to qigong and TCM for a long time. That is mainly for several reasons. 1. Is that there is no good way to do a double-blind study with some kind of control group to isolate factors, so the scientific method can't easily be used as it can in physical science. That doesn't mean the subject is faulty or science "disproves" something. It means the lens can't be used to study the phenomena. That is a big distinction almost all Internet arguments miss and probably will forever miss. 2. No big for-profit entity has anything to gain from funding such studies. Quite the contrary. There is large incentive to attack anything in this area if it's perceived as a threat to big pharma. Only big insurance may have some incentive to support work in this area.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby willie on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:28 pm

everything wrote:Sorry not to have fully watched your videos, but if information from scientific studies helps, I agree it seems like a good idea to use it!

For the "mysterious" stuff in taiji, qigong, and TCM, I don't believe scientific studies will be able to explain certain phenomena related mainly to qigong and TCM for a long time. That is mainly for several reasons. 1. Is that there is no good way to do a double-blind study with some kind of control group to isolate factors, so the scientific method can't easily be used as it can in physical science. That doesn't mean the subject is faulty or science "disproves" something. It means the lens can't be used to study the phenomena. That is a big distinction almost all Internet arguments miss and probably will forever miss. 2. No big for-profit entity has anything to gain from funding such studies. Quite the contrary. There is large incentive to attack anything in this area if it's perceived as a threat to big pharma. Only big insurance may have some incentive to support work in this area.

Everything, I would have to agree with you when you said that science is not caught up enough to explain the mysterious part of Tai Chi or Qi Gong.
However, that doesn't mean that we can't benefit from what they do know.
willie

Postby everything on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:50 pm

For sure 100% agreed. Life is so short and we gotta use/do what we can moving super fast from a known Point A to an unknown Point B.
everything
Wuji

Postby willie on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:25 am

everything wrote:For sure 100% agreed. Life is so short and we gotta use/do what we can moving super fast from a known Point A to an unknown Point B.

Okay fair enough. So now I guess that a reasonable question would be, you've been training now for x amount of years, what do you know about the mysterious part that you can be absolutely sure of?
willie

Postby willie on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:28 pm

The video part 3 messed up some how on youtube, I will replace it tomorrow with a new one.
willie

Postby willie on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 am

Something went wrong with yesterdays upload, So I had to do it over again.
This is information that I wish that I knew when I first got involved.
Thankfully, the internet has become a great source of information. Even though, one has to be careful because
a lot of that information is incorrect.
Part 3
willie

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:47 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:05 pm

willie wrote:
everything wrote:For sure 100% agreed. Life is so short and we gotta use/do what we can moving super fast from a known Point A to an unknown Point B.

Okay fair enough. So now I guess that a reasonable question would be, you've been training now for x amount of years, what do you know about the mysterious part that you can be absolutely sure of?

almost nothing. I can be sure that things like perfect timing and effortless throws are definitely not "mysterious", qualitatively. But how to consistently pull off either the normal "effortless" or the "mysterious" are beyond me. My best sport is soccer, and I'm strictly old man recreational level. I've played with D1 athletes and ex pros, and seen someone from USMNT up close, and they are on another planet. How would a hobbyist in MA or anything else ever get to "elite" level? It's impossible. Every once in a while a normal person can have the perfect golf swing, but that's nothing mysterious.
everything
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:27 pm

everything wrote:
willie wrote:

almost nothing. I can be sure that things like perfect timing and effortless throws are definitely not "mysterious", qualitatively. But how to consistently pull off either the normal "effortless" or the "mysterious" are beyond me. My best sport is soccer, and I'm strictly old man recreational level. I've played with D1 athletes and ex pros, and seen someone from USMNT up close, and they are on another planet. How would a hobbyist in MA or anything else ever get to "elite" level? It's impossible. Every once in a while a normal person can have the perfect golf swing, but that's nothing mysterious.

This is a very level-headed post. The answer is basically nearly no hobbyist are going to come close to competing with professionals.. it's usually a matter of genetics, in my opinion. I can't even imagine why somebody doing Tai Chi would want to jump in the ring with somebody doing MMA. It's just not a good idea. When I was doing MMA the entire intent and mindset was completely different than Tai Chi. Tai Chi can be devastating, but MMA is devastating. There is a big difference between could be, would be, and is. Our entire intent was to get damage. That means to damage your opponent. Taichi is more of a social event where laughing and wow that's cool, and all that fun stuff resides, (insert exceptions here).The weak defeating the strong never had anything to do with somebody insisting that you must be weak in order to perform taiji correctly. That is a complete falsehood. Being athletic is a far superior plan of action. That's why almost all top level sport players enjoy the benefits of weightlifting, body building and/or powerlifting...
Last edited by willie on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby willie on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:31 pm

This one didn't come out to good but there is still a couple things that are important.
willie

Postby Appledog on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:53 am

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic