Most beautiful music

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Most beautiful music

Postby Dmitri on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:37 am

J.S. Bach's "Erbarme dich" (from St. Matthew Passion), with Kathleen Ferrier and Herbert von Karajan's orchestra:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jh_1CKyZVSc

(Don't know who's playing the violin there.)

Wish the recording was cleaner of course, but my god, what a voice, and what incredible piece of genius music this is...

It absolutely takes me apart, every time I hear it. Tears and all, and the older I get, the worse it is... sobbing like a freakin' baby right now.

I first heard this piece back in Russia, it was the sound for the opening scene for the movie "Sacrifice", and then at (a broadcast of) the charity concert for the victims of the Earthquake in Armenia in 1988 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr4tjP0U-Mo)

This was also one of the few things I put on the mp3 player that I got for my daughter's 9-th birthday (alongside Beatles, Mozart and some other stuff) and she told me that one was her favorite, she just kept listening to it... Her own words were "I'm enchanted". She asked for more stuff like that, to which I had to reply that there isn't a lot of "stuff like that" in the world... (Although of course I did get some other vocal pieces for her.)

Anyway, just thought I'd "pay the dues", in this small way, to this particular musical piece -- maybe more people will discover and appreciate its genius.
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: Most beautiful music

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 am

That sucked. I'd rather listen to Beyonce singing "single ladies" followed by Ashlee simpson lypsyncing baboon farts through a straw.

Now that would be awesome...

j/k, nice piece! lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:10 am

Beautiful...

I am a huge fan of Bach's compositions. And not only the main guy. I love the whole Bach family.

One of my favorites: "Fürchte Dich Nicht", by J.S. Bach's uncle, Johann Christoph Bach. In my opinion, better than Johann Sebastian's version:

http://pythagore.asso.free.fr/son/Issy2 ... hnicht.mp3
Last edited by Felipe Bidó on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Dmitri on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:24 am

Yeah, I've heard some of the rest of the Bachs, but not much (and not this one -- thanks for sharing!), because I found them to be a bit more like Handel, Telemann or even Vivaldi... Excellent compositions no doubt, but very representative of their time. It's not a "bad thing" of course, it's very natural, but one of the traits of Johann Sebastian's music that attracts me is that IMO he's the only one of the bunch who wrote stuff that was WAY ahead of his time, and also (again IMO) the most musically complex and unpredictable of them all. There is some stunning music by the likes of Handel out there, but as you listen you can almost predict where the next musical phrase will take you -- not so with J.S. Bach, at least IME.

But musical tastes are like all other tastes... they differ a lot. :)
It's all good.
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:29 am

I like Vivaldi a lot. Apparently he wrote for teenage girls, making him the first pop star evah! ;D
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:36 am

Vivaldi was a major salad tosser for sure! Teenage girls were his specialty.

mmmmteen aged girls.... with salad!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:42 am

Dmitri wrote:Excellent compositions no doubt, but very representative of their time. It's not a "bad thing" of course, it's very natural, but one of the traits of Johann Sebastian's music that attracts me is that IMO he's the only one of the bunch who wrote stuff that was WAY ahead of his time, and also (again IMO) the most musically complex and unpredictable of them all.

Very very true.

I am a huge fan of Vivaldi. And I still can't quite get Haendel's music. As you say, it's more of the same...
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby cdobe on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:45 am

Felipe Bidó wrote:Beautiful...

I am a huge fan of Bach's compositions. And not only the main guy. I love the whole Bach family.

One of my favorites: "Fürchte Dich Nitch", by J.S. Bach's uncle, Johann Christoph Bach. In my opinion, better than Johann Sebastian's version:

http://pythagore.asso.free.fr/son/Issy2 ... hnicht.mp3

It must be either "Fürchte Dich, Bitch" ("Be afraid, bitch") or "Fürchte Dich Nicht" ("Don't be afraid") anything else doesn't make sense to me ;D

CD

PS IIRC you're a fan of Mozart's canons as well ;)
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:01 am

cdobe wrote:
It must be either "Fürchte Dich, Bitch" ("Be afraid, bitch") or "Fürchte Dich Nicht" ("Don't be afraid") anything else doesn't make sense to me ;D

CD

PS IIRC you're a fan of Mozart's canons as well ;)

;D fixed.... und passt es so für dich jetzt, du vixer?

;D LOL...kidding

Yes, bro, I am a fan of Mozart, too. But I find his music gets complicated sometimes..."too many notes"...
Last edited by Felipe Bidó on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby klonk on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:57 am

Classical music, and J.S. Bach's in particular, reflects a cultural ideal in which intellect, faith and the love of beauty work together. I'd say it reflects all that is best in Western culture. I find it much preferable to the messages in some recent music, messages of rage or anomie, lust for its own sake or getting wrecked on drugs, etc. In other words I think Bach is a reference point of sanity and reality; thank God for Bach.

Last edited by klonk on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Er Lu music can make baby Chanchu cry...

:(

:)
Last edited by Chanchu on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Not all tears are an evil.
-- J.R.R. Tolkien
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Hugo on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:17 am

.............. ;D
Last edited by Hugo on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo
Santi

Postby ashe on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Dmitri wrote:It absolutely takes me apart, every time I hear it. Tears and all, and the older I get, the worse it is... sobbing like a freakin' baby right now.

sweet jeebus, no more taiji for you. ;)

Last edited by ashe on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic