"techniques" in laser tag

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

"techniques" in laser tag

Postby everything on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Ok, a bit of a sillier question. If you've played laser tag or paintball or something similar, did you try to use any "techniques" or ideas from IMA or MA? Baguazhang stepping? Dive rolls? Particular stance? A way to turn around? When I played (only once), I found the guns so woefully inaccurate I had to step in really close and just aim and fire a lot. No footwork, etc. I figure there must be slightly more "technique" to it but not sure what. However, once I played a shooter videogame after doing santishi for 30 minutes and had much better focus, going offline just barely while charging forward all the time. No retreating or spinning around.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: "techniques" in laser tag

Postby lide on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:37 pm

Tactics to win:
1. Find a corner so your back is protected, and defend the hell out of it.
2. Find a little kid, score on him, and then follow him at a distance of three feet. as soon as his vest lights up again, shoot him. rinse and repeat.
3. duck.
lide
Santi

Postby everything on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:41 pm

lide wrote:
2. Find a little kid, score on him, and then follow him at a distance of three feet.

haha, yes, awesome. I forgot to mention this was a work group outing with adults only. Oh, the winner one round was a woman whose long hair partially covered the targets on her vest. ah well.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:04 pm

cheating works. and why not, its a fake ass game anyway.

so tape over those sensors and go for the win and then be a real dick about winning!

boo yah!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:12 pm

I played lazer tag quite a bit. The guns I had were not inaccurate, your aim sucked. When we first played none of us could hit anything. After a few weeks of practice I could hit a running target, while running myself, at max range, point shooting. Ah, to have that much time to practice again.

And the concept of using MA stepping and moves fails. You can't side step light, or a good shot.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:26 pm

ah that crappy aim coulda been it as well, though we were shooting at point blank range and still having trouble (not just me, though i think we were 99% newbs).
everything
Wuji

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:32 pm

seriously, I had exactly the same problem. The beam on the pistols was very tight. A cm off and you weren't hitting shit. And most people would jerk their wrists when firing, because of an improper grip.

I just checked, and they have new guns too. Could be an issue. I used the late 80s versions.
Last edited by Muad'dib on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:39 pm

hmm. well I hope I get to try it again! good to know the MA stuff was irrelevant (yeah how would i sidestep a laser?)

at work, we also played "assassin" (where each individual has a "target" in a big anonymous chain of folks ) a few times with rubberbands (really crappy aim on most people's parts). hmm it sounds like my workplace is all fun and games but definitely not.
everything
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:20 pm

You can sidestep before someone shoots, not after. Yeah, I know the feeling when shooting at point blank range and not hitting anything.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 pm

Played once and was terrible.
Last edited by Michael on Sun May 27, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael

Return to Off the Topic