Indy 4

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Indy 4

Postby nianfong on Thu May 22, 2008 3:07 am

just saw it. pretty fun flick. pretty much like the classic indies, but with much improved special effects and stunts.
Gaping plot holes are still there too, but definitely worth seeing on the big screen :)

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Re: Indy 4

Postby ashe on Thu May 22, 2008 1:16 pm

looking forward to it, but i'll have to wait for the dvd.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 22, 2008 6:57 pm

i like that they went low tech with real actors instead of the all to typical cgi offerings these days.

live acting is almost always more fun. cgi characters are like watching your friend play a video game, they always look a little fake albeit cool.
I think their days are numbered, unless they actually 100% replace the actors. they are getting close, but still not there.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun May 25, 2008 6:57 pm

Any faces melted off by the wrath of God?
Ian

Postby I-mon on Sun May 25, 2008 8:26 pm

heh. i didn't read this thread because without really thinking about it Indy 4 sounded like it had something to do with car-racing.

i thought the movie had no class. it had potential, but all the good feelings of mystery and epic adventure were glossed over in favour of more and more chase scenes and special effects.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Wuyizidi on Mon May 26, 2008 10:21 am

勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 27, 2008 6:09 am

I-mon wrote:heh. i didn't read this thread because without really thinking about it Indy 4 sounded like it had something to do with car-racing.

Same here. ;D

Saw it last night... Exactly what I expected -- a nice sequel to the original movies. Very good effort overall; same "style", same level of silly exaggeration, etc. -- the director surely stayed true to the original spirit of the first releases (no more, no less...)

I gave it 8/10 on IMDb.
FWIW
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Tue May 27, 2008 9:04 am

come on!!! all that potential for cool epic spectacular shit to go down and where did they take it? fucking nowhere! i was just left feeling like "is that it?"

2 days later and i'm still going "goddamit" whenever i remember.

bah.

ok i'll say one more thing *SPOILER DON'T READ ANY MORE OR YOU'LL COMPLETELY RUIN THIS AWESOME MOVIE" the amazing crystal skull. could they have made it look any MORE like a cheap piece of stupid plastic? you know? they're all chucking it around like it's a piece of lightweight stupid plastic, it doesn't look anything at all like crystal, it doesn't look particularly cool, what were the 13 alien skeletons doing again? sitting around waiting for the skull to come back? man there could have been awesome pyramid crystal alien cities full of mad epic cosmic alignment galactic awesomeness and instead there was a stupid little crumbling temple held up with some SAND? how did they even find the lost city they just started tearing through the amazon...

double bah!
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 27, 2008 9:44 am

I hear you; I didn't way it was an excellent movie on its own; I just think it's a worthy sequel.

I mean, how would you rate the original movies? Is this one really that much worse? ;)

Personally, I was never a huge fan of the originals... I mean they were entertaining, but not much more. He stylized them too much IMO, sacrificed quality and creativity for style.

(That is not to take away from Spielberg's excellent overall movie-making skillz. 8-))

Anyway, opinions, opinions... we all know what they're like. ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue May 27, 2008 10:02 am

just like the original movies, you pretty much had to suspend tons of disbelief.
I like how the skull's magnetism would just turn itself on and off out of convenience to the actors/story... haha. and how it could attract all metals, including even gold. pretty funny from a physics perspective. They seriously should be pretty much unable to move it from any of their steel vehicles without non-metallic pry bars and lots of people to hold it, given the strength of the magnetism. plus it would end up being a big ol katamari ball...haha
Last edited by nianfong on Tue May 27, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Steve James on Tue May 27, 2008 10:37 am

I think that people forget that Indiana Jones was an exaggerated comic book character when he came out. It was a summer blockbuster that parents could take their kids to and still enjoy themselves. The biggest difference between this and all other franchises is its use of history and archaeology. There was just enough "truth" or "facts" in them that audiences actually became interested in those subjects. Nowadays, lots of kids want to grow up to be archaeologists just because of Indiana Jones.

Anyway, the kids have grown up, and as adults they're more particular. They've seen it before, and it was light when they were kids. It's not going to be deep now.

I think this is especially true of Speed Racer, for ex. It was a kiddie cartoon with a futuristic car. Yeah, futuristic for 1966. I watched the show as a kid, but I wouldn't expect to enjoy the new version --unless I took my grandkid :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 27, 2008 10:59 am

nianfong wrote:...given the strength of the magnetism

Oh man, don't even go there... Can you imagine the strength of the magnetic field required to attract the infinitesimal amount of metal in gunpowder (which I don't think even reacts to a magnetic field :-/), given the rate at which the strength of the field decreases with distance from source? It would probably kill anyone when they got close enough by pulling all the iron out of their bodies... ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Tue May 27, 2008 6:56 pm

yeah yeah i know....

i don't have a problem with suspending disbelief usually. i liked the comic book feel of the whole thing. i liked him and his son, the russians, the stuff with the FBI, i actually liked all the plot elements: post WW2, roswell, aliens, amazon, mayan ruins....and that's why i was disappointed. the really cool things in raiders of the lost ark and the last crusade were all about FINDING the ark and the grail temple, unravelling the mystery around them to work out where they are and also why they are there....this one was just a chase scene! of course the other movies were also about 50% chase scenes...

man they could have worked 2012 in there, calendar stones, eclipses.....but they were too scared!

ok ok i'll stop bitching now before i hurt my liver.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Tue May 27, 2008 7:28 pm

i liked the comic book feel of the whole thing. i liked him and his son, the russians, the stuff with the FBI, i actually liked all the plot elements: post WW2, roswell, aliens, amazon, mayan ruins....and that's why i was disappointed. the really cool things in raiders of the lost ark and the last crusade were all about FINDING the ark and the grail temple, unravelling the mystery around them to work out where they are and also why they are there...

i felt the same way

it was entertaining but it felt like they wanted to make another one so they did rather than they had another one to make so they did- if you know what i mean

franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue May 27, 2008 7:47 pm

I heard that lucas had to fight spielberg really hard to keep from having the aliens invade or something. probably the best thing lucas has done since.... letting someone else write and direct empire strikes back?
nianfong
Administrator

Next

Return to Off the Topic