Who ya got, Ding or Nepo?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Who ya got, Ding or Nepo?

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:05 am

There have been some smokin' games.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Who ya got, Ding or Nepo?

Postby everything on Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:42 am

give us some backstory?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:58 am

It's the world championship of chess. Ding Liren (China) is playing Ian Nepomniachtchi (Russia) -after Magnus Carlsen (Norway) declined to defend his championship. So far, there have been some great games, and the advantage has been swinging back and forth, from game to game. It's turning out to be the most interesting world championship since Fisher/Spassky.

I'm cheering for Ding. It'd be great to have a Chinese champ, but the game today suggests the pressure might be getting to him. He had a won game.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:02 pm

so today he just totally ... froze?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:27 pm

He lost so much time that he blundered a move that gave Nepo the advantage. After the mistake, Nepo would have won anyway. So Ding resigned.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:44 pm

Steve James wrote:
I'm cheering for Ding. It'd be great to have a Chinese champ, but the game today suggests the pressure might be getting to him. He had a won game.

Would it be even greater if the Chinese person was also transgendered :-\

Or just a master level chess player..?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:00 pm

I've no clue about Ding's medical status. I've just seen loads of Russian world champs, already. But, I'd also be happy for the Chinese as I suppose they'd be happy too. It's a bit like Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. I thought it was great that an Asian film was being recognized as the best picture. It was also my favorite, and I'd have been sad if it had lost. Same for the game today.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:42 am

I am for Nepo all the way though I think maybe Carlsen is sitting at home taking notes so that next time he comes in he can win undefeated.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:03 am

Nepo has had two great escapes, and Ding clearly blew one. Nepo would deserve the title, though Hikaru almost beat him out in the candidate's tournament.

I think Magnus figured he could make more money outside. If Nepo wins, he'll be world champ; but Magnus will still be considered number one. Anyway, the matches between him and Nepo last time were no where near as interesting.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:10 am

Ding, Ding, Ding!
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon May 01, 2023 8:18 am

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon May 01, 2023 8:58 am

having only read about it here, I'm sort of shocked Ding pulled it off

can you give us the translated (not a chess player) version of what happened?
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon May 01, 2023 9:43 am

Sure. There's a worldwide chess organization (FIDE) that gives chess players ratings. When people achieve the highest ratings, they can make money as professionals. Every year or so, there's a championship match. The players are decided by a "candidate's tournament." The winner of that tournament goes on to play the world champion.

Last year, the former (decades long) champion decided not to defend the title. So, this time the winners of the tournament played themselves. Actually, Ding was extraordinarily lucky to be in the candidates. Nepo lost to the former champion at the last match -which may be one reason the champ dropped out this time. Anyway, in the candidates tournament, Ding managed to squeak through. Few expected him to win.

The matches were great from a chess perspective because of the drama. Both players had brilliant games, but both made unforced errors. No one knew how it would eventually turn out. Anyway, Ding is now king; but, still won't be rated the best player. Former world champions, like Kasparov, have said that this wasn't a "real" world championship because of it.
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic